Author Topic: Mind helping out Chris a bit? Lists of features and their basics.  (Read 16192 times)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Mind helping out Chris a bit? Lists of features and their basics.
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2016, 08:23:05 am »
Hm, you know, if you want to keep working on the thing for now, as you were, just keep doing it in the manner you originally intended. Whatever you were originally going to put in there.  It's not like there's some pre-existing structure to screw up that would mess anything up.  At best it'll be just what he was looking for, at worst you have something that just needs to be started over on or reformatted.   As it's a separate document it's also not clogging up this thread. 

Might be a good idea to copy it all down (like a backup) just in case though.

But yeah, I don't think there's any harm in it at all, so...

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2016, 08:27:07 am »
What the heck happened in here while i was asleep? I thought this was a pretty simple question...

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2016, 09:07:29 am »
Simple question ? Then why is there so many interpretation of it ? Anyway, I saw this in Chris thread:

Basically what I'd like to do is get a comprehensive list of ships and plots and mechanics and so on, with brief descriptions of what they do, and then have folks also weigh in on their opinions on some of these things, potentially in other threads.

Keywords: Comprehensive list. Then opinion in potentially other threads.

About comprehensive list: I then saw people getting enthousiasted by a word document that would end up being 50 pages long. My opinion is that concision would be the key there. For me, comprehensive list has to be reasonably short, organized, and clear.

Me => System failure.

About Then potentially opinion in threads: I open said word document. I read the very first page.

Example Ship (use this format please)
Basics: Quick and easy what the ship does and what it’s good for.
Editorial:
Cinth: Your opinion on the ship and usage.  Yes, tell us how you really feel.

Me => System failure number 2.

I side with misery on the "Let's wait for what Chris really wants" part.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 09:11:25 am by kasnavada »

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2016, 09:20:52 am »
I don't know how you think a complete; including all or nearly all elements or aspects of something list could ever be short .  Clear and organized is a WIP...

That example was taken directly form Chris's first remarks on the list and cut down to be generalized (as an example for the format)

Shield Bearers
Basics: Tanky, good defensively or offensively to protect damage dealing or critical targets. Great for dealing with time-based missions.
Editorial:
Chris: having stacks of these with loads of shields all over the place is an enormous mess, and trying to keep them in just the right formation with one another is a huge PITA as well.  I really hate the forcefield mechanics in general and want something more streamlined.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2016, 09:21:55 am »
Locking this thread so that a new one can be started fresh.  Give me a couple of minutes and I'll have a better place for our conversation to restart. :D
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2016, 09:42:16 am »
Okay, the new one is up!  http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,18997.0.html

Thanks to everyone for responding and for helping so much already.  Hopefully the new thread starts things off fresher and makes this easier.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk