Author Topic: Kickstarter: my wish list for the different tiers  (Read 19889 times)

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
Re: Kickstarter: my wish list for the different tiers
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2016, 12:36:25 pm »
Psh, give it to me as a PDF.
Why didn't I think about that?!?
I WANT A DIGITAL LOREBOOK!!!
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2016, 12:53:44 pm »
It doesn't even have to be formulated all that nicely either.  I mean hell, even just putting all the lore messages from all the games down into a rough chronological order of the events they describe in a .txt would be pretty awesome (don't do that though).

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2016, 01:07:37 pm »
A lot of people, myself included, have an extreme dislike for owing money to anyone for any reason, ever.  That said, I do have a debit card for my bank account that I can use as a credit card.  Is that also not an option, Vampire?

I use a credit card all the time, and I never owe them any money. Pretty easy to pay for whatever you buy with online banking the next day.

And there are even credit cards that allow you to automatically pay, get rewards (I saved up my rewards for 10 years and completely paid for a round-trip international ticket), and build the credit that you need. Some employers do credit checks. One might argue that for common monthly expenses to be passed through a credit card that builds rewards and credit for things you have to pay for anyways, it's actually a good idea.

Having credit doesn't mean that you have some pile of debt. Having credit tells other people how good you are with money. That being said, there are some people that are clearly incapable of making the connection between paper money and money in a bank account.

There is another website that allows PayPal. I think that double fine was using it for their kickstarter.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2016, 01:23:04 pm »
Or to put it more cleanly:

If you don't spend money you don't have, you can't go into debt with a credit card.

The flaw is that some people think that a credit card literally bestows upon them new money, which they go out and spend (max out the credit card), and don't see it as a problem.

That said, I don't have an actual credit card. I have a debit card that can be used like credit (the balance is automatically debited from my account a couple days later).

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2016, 03:48:08 pm »
You know what I'd pay for?

A compiled lore book.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2016, 03:55:40 pm »

Having credit doesn't mean that you have some pile of debt. Having credit tells other people how good you are with money. That being said, there are some people that are clearly incapable of making the connection between paper money and money in a bank account.

This.

I enjoy my two free airline tickets a year using credit. I only discovered it two years ago but some work I finally am at the point I can enjoy the "free" money.

Being responsible pays off, yo.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2016, 03:58:04 pm »

This.

I enjoy my two free airline tickets a year using credit. I only discovered it two years ago but some work I finally am at the point I can enjoy the "free" money.

Oh cool. Any card recommendations?

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2016, 04:10:30 pm »

This.

Oh cool. Any card recommendations?

PM me if you live in the United States. If not, look up credit card offers in "home country" for starters.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2016, 04:19:23 pm »

This.

Yep. :D Mine just gives cash, but I do enjoy getting a couple hundred bucks every year just for paying for stuff I'd need to buy anyway.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2016, 05:16:38 pm »
Great. Kickstarter wishlist discussion turns into credit card advice. ...go forum. :P

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2016, 06:09:56 pm »
Yep. :D Mine just gives cash, but I do enjoy getting a couple hundred bucks every year just for paying for stuff I'd need to buy anyway.

For what it's worth, that money comes out of the pocket of the places you shop at, which is why small businesses either don't accept credit, or have a minimum.

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2016, 06:18:02 pm »

For what it's worth, that money comes out of the pocket of the places you shop at, which is why small businesses either don't accept credit, or have a minimum.

Yep, I'm aware. Lots of local places don't take it for that reason, so I use my debit card there. I don't feel too bad about using it at Costco, though, since it's their card. If they really want to give me cash back on gas, I have no objection to that. :D

I know we're off topic, but since we have nothing to go on in terms of what the KS is going to look like right now, there isn't much to talk about there. I still hope they do a "help make a leader" tier, though. :)

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2016, 08:59:40 pm »
I gave as a post some credit card advice, but I may give the advice as a whole on the off topic forum, but I will say this:

Unless you pay by cash or check, your local business is taking a hit. I appreciate the local sentiment. But your local business will tell you they would rather visit another time then worry if you pay by cash or credit.

Secondly, learn your credit, yo. My car insurance and my credit card give me of the three main sources of it a month, for free.

Thirdly, check your mail! If your credit is good people will ask to abuse it! Just make sure you abuse them and not  you!

Life is short. Have fun.

Offline NickAragua

« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2016, 12:10:15 am »
On topic:
I like the idea of a PDF lorebook. You know what else I like? For that lore to be included in game without having to read forty thousand forum posts. Sorry about the yelling, but it would be seriously nice to have some context for some of this stuff. I actually like the AI War fluff, but since about 90% of it is in Chris's head or in random forum posts, well...

But as far as kickstarter advice goes, I would recommend the following:

1) Pre-plan and pre-estimate your stretch goals. "We'll need to spend a man-year if we want this feature, which translates into x hundred thousand dollars". Don't reveal them right away, but have that stuff ready to go ahead of time so you're not scrambling. If you blow past those, just say "the money will be used to further improve the quality of the game, focusing on the features we have already proposed". Battletech and Shadowrun Berlin/Hong Kong are your model kickstarters here (Shadowrun Returns is what I call a "learning experience"). No, I don't work for HBS, but I'd totally want to if they weren't across the country. Arcen already has the "communication with fans" thing down.

2) Have a gameplay video ready to go if at all possible. Hack something together that looks cool. http://thedailywtf.com/articles/The-Cool-Cam comes to mind. There's no amount of excitedly talking about a project that's a substitute for a cool minute long teaser.

------
Off topic credit card shpiel for those crapping on credit cards:

I've been paying off my credit card fully every month ever since I got my first one, probably about sixteen years ago as a snot-nosed college kid. It's not that hard (assuming you have a job and some self discipline), and it
a) builds your credit rating
b) puts a layer of separation between your money and thieves that a debit card does not
c) lets you avoid carrying large amounts of cash or using personal checks (euuugh)

The credit rating, you need to take out loans (including the mythical yet awesome 0% interest loan for car purchases) for larger things such as cars and houses. The latter of which my wife just would not stop yammering on about and not only is it nice not to piss away money for rent every month, but also the reduced amount of ear drum harassment is great for one's psychiatric health. Plus, you don't have to answer to some slumlord or "renters association" or whatever.

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2016, 04:16:09 pm »
Something that bears investigation - Steam keys for backers.

I want the game on Steam. If I can't get the game on Steam through KS, that will change my interest in the KS substantially, to the point that I'd probably just back at the $1 "thanks!" tier or whatever, then buy the game on Steam once it's there.

If I can, I've got my credit card ready right now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk