Author Topic: [STCS] Visual Assymetry  (Read 5067 times)

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
[STCS] Visual Assymetry
« on: August 30, 2016, 02:26:29 pm »
Slight Tweaks for Coherency Sake

As we're not supposed to make "bags of ideas", I'll split these up but with a common tag. My goal with these ideas is simple: more coherency at the smallest cost. (The final objective being a smoother learning curve thanks to a more coherent experience.)

AI War is highly asymmetric even in the stuff fielded (AI uses no turrets but guard posts, has access to guardians, etc). However, there are various things that appear to be shared but which have slight variations. I'll discuss them one by one below but as a general rule, I whish to see them either completely similar or (more likely, because slight differences are often needed) visually and explicitly different. Often, the only thing required, IMO, is a different icon/art and maybe a different name.

First, the Fortresses. Both Humans and AI use them. But they have slight differences: the AI version "can not move, has half the range but three times the health and can not be repaired, only slowly regenerate." Also, AI Fortress completely fits in the Device family (it's even eligible for sabotage). I think a different art and the name "Fortress Device" would be enough to clearly convey: they are not Human fortresses.

The Raid Starship too has several differences between its AI and Human version, and it's crucial because AI Raid Starships would be too much punitive (they have no cloaking, half the health and I don't remember exactly what else). But the most crucial point: they are not meant for the same role. Also, I would love to see a darker art for the AI version (maybe more spikes, too), something that players should see in fear, a bit like the Hunter/Killer. Maybe "Assassin" instead of "Raid" should do it. However... Em, see the "Shared or Not?" [STCS] topic...

I'm sure there are several things I forget, but I'm sure y'all will bring them to the table.
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: [STCS] Visual Assymetry
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 02:51:27 pm »
One thing I want to point out is that the visuals for ships and structures will be modular components that can be assembled into larger structures, and so there will be a lot of freedom there to set things up in a variety of ways.  I think that probably having AI and player separate versions of stuff in general would probably be wise, for the sake of maximum flexibility in all cases.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 03:00:48 pm »
One thing I want to point out is that the visuals for ships and structures will be modular components that can be assembled into larger structures, and so there will be a lot of freedom there to set things up in a variety of ways.
:o
That sounds... promising! I can't wait the see the first screenshots!
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 06:51:49 pm »
Spiky doom ships do sound AI-themed in some setups... ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk