Author Topic: Spire Railgun Shop  (Read 134 times)

Offline Lord Of Nothing

• Full Member Mark II
Spire Railgun Shop
« on: May 23, 2020, 06:55:29 PM »
So, I mentioned I was investigating giving the Spire their railguns back a week or two ago, and Chris very kindly went above and beyond (As usual.) So, I thought at the very least I should put the preliminary results of that investigation here. It’s purely XML ship definitions, since the data structure of this part of the game is wonderfully plug and play.

It contains:
Spire RailFrigates.
Spire Raildestroyers.
Spire Interdictors. (Light and Regular.)
And their neural nets, of course. (Which does start to clutter the city build menu a bit, unfortunately.)

To elaborate: RailFrigates and Raildestroyers are what their names suggest. I’ve tried to retain the what I feel is the original flavour of the two types – Railfrigates are a bit of a crowd brawler, while Raildestroyers are more focused on killing big stuff, but also have a utility role, since their railguns are somewhat… Arachnid.
The two Interdictor variants are designed to further enable a slightly more control-based, long range playstyle, through the use of very powerful gravity effects, since I felt this went well with railguns. They are big. They are not cheap.

Testing wise:
Things work as they were intended to – I’ve tested that much – but what I don’t feel I have yet is a good idea of whether things are balanced or not – if anyone tries this I’d appreciate feedback!
What I’m even less sure about is how safe the Interdictors are in performance terms, since mobile black hole machines aren’t something there’s any in-game example of, to the best of my knowledge, and I don’t know how things like that are handled.

If you want to be a bit neater, follow the instructions here with the XML file: https://wiki.arcengames.com/index.php?title=AI_War_2:_Basic_Stat_Modding#Where_To_Make_Your_Own_Files
Or
Installation can be as simple as dumping the XML file into
…AI War 2\GameData\Configuration\GameEntity
Or
…AI War 2\Expansions\1_The_Spire_Rises\GameData\Configuration\GameEntity

Further balance notes:
Railfrigates give up over half their DPS for their range. My thought was that since Spire City ships already lean strongly towards glass cannon status, it was probably unwise to push them even further to that extreme by reducing health. They also cost more and use more energy. Raildestroyers keep more of the original’s DPS, but their weapon is innately restricted in effectiveness against smaller targets since it’s mostly in the main gun. They’ve lost their 3x bonus, but gained a utility factor in the form of engine stun. Like the frigates, they also have an increased cost. I think these two are probably a little underpowered, but hopefully not by a lot.
The Interdictors… I’m less clear what the balance is for these. They’re currently seriously expensive and DEEP into the techtree, but mobile planetwide gravity has a lot of cheese potential, so… Yeah. My suspicion is that the Light Interdictor is underpowered, and the regular Interdictor is overpowered.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 04:04:05 PM by Lord Of Nothing »

Offline -NR-SirLimbo

• Newbie Mark II
Re: Spire Railgun Shop
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 02:49:25 PM »
I like the idea. I always considered Spire having too little diversity of weapons.

2 Tips to improve though:

1.) It's much better making the mod without having to alter vanilla files. I suggest creating a mod in the XML Mods folder of the AI War 2 game folder (refer to https://wiki.arcengames.com/index.php?title=AI_War_2:_Basic_Stat_Modding)

2.) There is a way to make "point beams", which is much more like the old AIWC Spire Railcannons (beams that hit a single target instantly). The following would be an example for one (The weapon type being HeavyBeamInvisible, but the beam_length_multiplier="1" is required to make the game understand it's a point beam):

<system name="PointBeam" display_name="Point Beam"
               category="Weapon" firing_timing="OnlyInRange"
               damage_per_shot="1000" range="High1" shot_speed="Normal" rate_of_fire="Low"
               shot_type_data="HeavyBeamInvisible"
               beam_length_multiplier="1"
               >
      </system>

Offline Lord Of Nothing

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 04:06:32 PM »
I like the idea. I always considered Spire having too little diversity of weapons.

2 Tips to improve though:

1.) It's much better making the mod without having to alter vanilla files. I suggest creating a mod in the XML Mods folder of the AI War 2 game folder (refer to https://wiki.arcengames.com/index.php?title=AI_War_2:_Basic_Stat_Modding)

2.) There is a way to make "point beams", which is much more like the old AIWC Spire Railcannons (beams that hit a single target instantly). The following would be an example for one (The weapon type being HeavyBeamInvisible, but the beam_length_multiplier="1" is required to make the game understand it's a point beam):

<system name="PointBeam" display_name="Point Beam"
               category="Weapon" firing_timing="OnlyInRange"
               damage_per_shot="1000" range="High1" shot_speed="Normal" rate_of_fire="Low"
               shot_type_data="HeavyBeamInvisible"
               beam_length_multiplier="1"
               >
      </system>

Hi -
1. A fair point - That's the way I did it, and I did include the link to that in the opening post, but at the bottom of the list of ways - I've changed it to be the first way listed, since that's probably better.
2. Interesting, thank you - I shall have to play around with that!
:)

Offline -NR-SirLimbo

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 06:11:08 PM »
It'd be best to not make the raw .xml file the downloaded object, but a folder that is named after your mod so people can simply extract into the XML Mods folder.

Otherwise you're always limited to only having a single file. If you ever decide to give Spire-Scourge some more Spire-y weapons too.