Author Topic: The Final AI War Expansion  (Read 60220 times)

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
Re: The Final AI War Expansion
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2016, 05:57:28 pm »
If you haven't hit your goal by Day 3, you've done something terribly, terribly wrong.

I actually agree with this because that allows a kickstarter to hit those glorious bonus goals and that really is what gives a campaign legs. Once you start proposing those extra goals you both increase donations per person as they upgrade and you entice new players with the value being offered. It is in no small part psychological but that's how sales work right?
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2016, 09:40:52 pm »
Data over random forum bs'ing. ::)

I think we can all make up scenarios where you can drag more money out of kickstarters. I personally only donate to games and projects that I actually want and not because of stretch goals. I see them as investments that will hopefully be cheaper than a day one purchase. I will not purchase it if it's not.

Doesn't mean others aren't chasing stretch goals. If that was even true on a large enough scale, you would just make the goal lower.

The whole thing is certainly based around long-term investment with psychological manipulation. It's based around the promise of the game you think you are going to get (whether or not someone's vision even matches reality is something entirely different). I think that's the one thing about kickstarter that's really not anyone's fault but, it can really prey upon people that are manic, fantasy prone, or have impulse control problems.

I would like to see a kickstarter purely from the point of view that I hope it is at a discount from a day one purchase and because I want to see the game get developed. The company would surely earn and deserve the profits. What I'm scared to see though is a lock-in to ideas that don't work out or a commitment to something that nobody wants later on. But who knows, maybe that would help Chris get the game out on time. Now I'm rambling.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2016, 02:11:08 am »
What happens to the money on Kickstarter if the project doesn't hit the goal? Do people get a refund? Where does the refund go, into the backer's kickstarter account or where? I wont touch Kickstarter even with a 10 foot pole unless I know I get a 100% refund on the same bank account I used to pay in case the project doesn't hit the goal. Most likely I'd consider backing a project only after it has already hit it's goal.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:46:43 am by Kahuna »
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2016, 11:09:25 am »
What happens to the money on Kickstarter if the project doesn't hit the goal? Do people get a refund? Where does the refund go, into the backer's kickstarter account or where? I wont touch Kickstarter even with a 10 foot pole unless I know I get a 100% refund on the same bank account I used to pay in case the project doesn't hit the goal. Most likely I'd consider backing a project only after it has already hit it's goal.

There's no charge until the goal is met.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2016, 12:22:00 pm »

There's no charge until the goal is met.

AND until the kickstarter finishes at that goal.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2016, 09:22:08 pm »
To actually ramble on topic for once:

A great obstacle about a game I have played before is trying to remember all the things I once learned.

Like right now I have a game I want to indulge in. But I cannot remember all the things that I had learned before hand.

If there was a way the game could provide that information as a refresher I would be back into that game. And soon after buy the DLC that has happened since I left.

Even for AI War I feel like that sometimes despite spending so much time on it.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #126 on: August 22, 2016, 12:07:48 pm »
You're right in that it's more varied, as my own KS didn't hit its stride until the second week when we got featured in KS's weekly newsletter of "here's three projects we like."

And there's countless other projects that have hit their goal towards the end, but they aren't ones that have a lot of steam behind them. They're trundling along and just barely pulling through.  The people behind the project and the people backing it might have a lot of enthusiasm for it, but there's no hype.  And trust me when I say that seeing a project only barely squeaking by is painful.  Even if you're hyped and trying to spread the word, not seeing much progress in the funding value hurts.

Point is, you want to find all of those people early, even if you flatten out afterwards and still only just make your goal.  Kickstarter isn't when to start your advertising campaign, it's the grand finale.  Find a base, get them excited, start the hype train, advertise like crazy and say, "we're doing a kickstarter, sign up for our newsletter so you can find out when it goes live, probably in a month."

Ostensibly you've already done that kind of work with Release Raptor, taunting us with the EA release for two months now: your base is hyped and ready and waiting to throw money at you.  You've been doing the press work already, getting people who don't follow the forums interested and following the forums (slash blog posts, slash Steam page).

Doing a Kickstarter is the same thing, you need to tell people "this thing, which I'm sure you want, is coming, go here for updates" so that you can build FOMO: Fear of Missing Out.  The Kickstarter campaign is the "limited time only, get it now" culmination of all that work, the ultimate "the thing you've all been waiting for, get it now or never!"

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
« Reply #127 on: August 22, 2016, 01:01:50 pm »
Wait. Are we discussing Kickstarter on the AIW subforum? Or is it just yet another derailed topic and we're discussing KS "in general" because RR is nearly out?
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline Steelpoint

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #128 on: August 26, 2016, 04:40:35 am »
If there ever was to be a new sort of expansion/remaster of the game, one thing that I think would be interesting to explore is making Journal entries more common.

One thing I really liked about some of the expansions was how you got reports and communications from other members of your group, scientists and survey teams and the like.

While it would be time consuming, I think also having there be journal entries for actions or things the player sees during a normal game would be interesting. Such as encountering a critical objective (Core Shield or Advance Factory) or accomplishing a objective that puts you one step closer to defeating the AI.

The boon would be not only making the player feel like their resistance army is more alive, but it can be a good aid for newer players by giving them some direction, as well as guiding them on what structures are critical and worth looking at.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #129 on: August 26, 2016, 09:36:26 am »
I definitely agree -- and I know that Watashiwa would be really on board with that, too.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
« Reply #130 on: August 26, 2016, 04:18:13 pm »
I definitely agree -- and I know that Watashiwa would be really on board with that, too.
Yay! I'm on it too!
I love the idea of a more vivid universe. The base game has so many things to re-explore and highlight. First golem rebuilt, first friendly roaming enclave "asking" for protection, etc.
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #131 on: August 30, 2016, 11:46:12 am »
If there ever was to be a new sort of expansion/remaster of the game, one thing that I think would be interesting to explore is making Journal entries more common.

One thing I really liked about some of the expansions was how you got reports and communications from other members of your group, scientists and survey teams and the like.

While it would be time consuming, I think also having there be journal entries for actions or things the player sees during a normal game would be interesting. Such as encountering a critical objective (Core Shield or Advance Factory) or accomplishing a objective that puts you one step closer to defeating the AI.

The boon would be not only making the player feel like their resistance army is more alive, but it can be a good aid for newer players by giving them some direction, as well as guiding them on what structures are critical and worth looking at.
Oh yes. More Journal entries would be awesome.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk