Author Topic: The Final AI War Expansion  (Read 60229 times)

Offline Elestan

• Full Member Mark II
Re: The Final AI War Expansion
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2015, 12:04:25 pm »
I've got about eight pages of notes detailing assorted usability issues and UI glitches I've encountered so far...

Eight pages of notes?! Well, for the time being you can always put them up on mantis ;)

Do they want another (does a quick count) 200 or so Mantis entries on the current game if they're going to bin the code anyway?

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2015, 12:11:58 pm »
I don't like the name, " reborn," but otherwise this idea sounds great!
"Unleashed"?

"Containment Breach"? ;)

"Recompiled" was mentioned, and sounds thematically appropriate, but my first thought was someone saying "they just recompiled the game and sold it as a new product!"

Reassembled?

AI War: Distributed Annihilation? ;)

AI War: Well You See We Let It Make Some Self Modifications And Maybe It Got A Little Out Of Ha- (bzzt)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2015, 12:49:01 pm »
Well I mean there are going to be some who say that no matter WHAT you do, so I wouldn't let that stand in the way of a good name.

But seriously, I don't like Reborn, sounds too much the name of Binding of Isaac's remake. Not that I think there'd be any confusion given, well, everything about the two games, but it still bugs me. How about "Second Wave"? It references the wave mechanics, is a war term, implies it would be both sequel and more of the same, and that things will be bigger.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2015, 12:56:17 pm »
Agreed on not liking Reborn; it was my first idea for the name, but no.

Recompiled is close, I think. Reinitialized?

Second Wave sounds good. Reminds me of the XCOM remake's mutators for replaying the game with, which is a good thing.

Any objections to Second Wave?

Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Elestan

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2015, 01:06:15 pm »
Second Wave sounds good. Reminds me of the XCOM remake's mutators for replaying the game with, which is a good thing.

One question that's probably important:  What is your target audience?

If you are specifically selling to current customers, then "Second Wave" is fine.  But having a name that implies a successor product is going to hurt your ability to sell to new customers.  Something like a "Gold" or "Enhanced Edition" appellation might be a better choice in that case, to make it clear to potential new customers that this is the new preferred entry point for the product line.

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2015, 01:35:01 pm »

Second wave is good. I like some of your other suggestions also.

Here are some of my suggestions for AI War: Fleet Command

AI War: Admiral Edition
AI War: Tactics
AI War: Metamorphosis
AI War: Regeneration
AI War: Mechanized
AI Warcraft (just kidding)
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2015, 01:48:42 pm »
AI War: Modular Singularity

Offline Tolc

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2015, 01:56:06 pm »
I've got about eight pages of notes detailing assorted usability issues and UI glitches I've encountered so far...

Eight pages of notes?! Well, for the time being you can always put them up on mantis ;)

Do they want another (does a quick count) 200 or so Mantis entries on the current game if they're going to bin the code anyway?

Well, we're not necessarily talking about the near future here, so... Besides, that way it is archived somewhere. In the end it's up to you, though.

@namediscussion:
How about "AI War: Reloaded"? "AI War: A new exogalactic wormhole"? "AI War: The AI strikes back"?  :P
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 01:59:00 pm by Tolc »

Offline Dominus Arbitrationis

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2015, 01:59:55 pm »

Well, we're not necessarily talking about the near future here, so... Besides, that way it is archived somewhere. In the end it's up to you, though.

Even if it were in the near future, knowing what some complaints and glitches are might still be helpful. Otherwise the same complaints might still be valid for the new release.
Come help out at the Wiki!

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2015, 02:19:06 pm »
But having a name that implies a successor product is going to hurt your ability to sell to new customers.  Something like a "Gold" or "Enhanced Edition" appellation might be a better choice in that case, to make it clear to potential new customers that this is the new preferred entry point for the product line.
Sequels typically outsell their predecessors. Narrative sequels can underperform, but this isn't likely to be one.

I think it's best to position this as a sequel "with all the content of the first game".

EDIT: Haha, just realized that if you call AVWW 2 an expansion, this would be considered Arcen's 10th game. That could be useful in a marketing pitch.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 02:21:29 pm by Watashiwa »

Offline KillerofGods

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2015, 03:41:09 pm »
But having a name that implies a successor product is going to hurt your ability to sell to new customers.  Something like a "Gold" or "Enhanced Edition" appellation might be a better choice in that case, to make it clear to potential new customers that this is the new preferred entry point for the product line.
Sequels typically outsell their predecessors. Narrative sequels can underperform, but this isn't likely to be one.

I think it's best to position this as a sequel "with all the content of the first game".

EDIT: Haha, just realized that if you call AVWW 2 an expansion, this would be considered Arcen's 10th game. That could be useful in a marketing pitch.
IDK 11 sounds better, especially for a game like AI War.

AI War the 11th hour, man has survived the battle but now they must survive the war. Or something or the other.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2015, 04:18:54 pm »
Oh I like that.  :D

"Arcen's 11th release returns to the eleventh hour where it all began..."

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2015, 04:52:50 pm »
I'm still scratching my head as to why we can't just call it AI War 2: Fleet Reborn. It's not as if porting an entire game to a new engine with massive upgrades all around isn't worthy enough to be qualified as sequel material. That's all DotA 2 was (and continues to be), DotA 1 on a better engine with mod support, and it's by far one of the most successful games of all time. TF1 -> TF2. CS:S -> CS:GO. LFD1 -> LFD2. Hell most of Valve's games are just thinly veiled engine improvements and look at their success.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:56:48 pm by Wingflier »
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2015, 05:08:03 pm »
Valve also hasn't been proven able to count to 3 yet tho :P

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2015, 06:51:53 pm »

AI War: Reloaded (Darn, Matrix did it)
AI Wat: Mankind Divided (Oops, taken too)
AI War: Iron Edition (I'm getting tired of the gold/platinum editions)
AI War: Core Reboot (Might mislead people to believe this is a series' reboot, not the reboot of the opponent AIs)
AI War: Ultimate Onslaught (I'm running low in good ideas... Bad ideas are starting to crop up)

Also, Second Wave is fine.

Wait, you're trying to come up with a name. Aren't you implicitly acknowledging that this new version will see play?
Please allows me to bump this:
When? (...) I don't want a precise release date (...) But what's your plans beyond SBR?
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk