Author Topic: Any familiarity with crowdox.com?  (Read 13770 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Any familiarity with crowdox.com?
« on: September 13, 2016, 11:42:13 am »
I saw that the Cthulu Wars kickstarter campaign uses this (which I did not back, but someone on here mentioned), and apparently also allows late backing.  MAYBE this is also a way for people to give via paypal (which some people have asked about), with it still going to the main kickstarter?  I can't tell.

I've backed a number of projects, some of which were board games that involved questions like what sort of color scheme I wanted on my cards or whatever (Less: Like Chess but Less and Walls were the two main ones for me).  I don't really have survey questions like that for the AI War II backers, except I guess how they want to be credited and what their forum username is.  I think that Descent:Underground had a pretty streamlined way of handling that, IIRC, but I don't recall what sort of survey they used for that.

One thing that is concerning to me is that I see nothing about pricing anywhere on Crowd OX, which makes me worry it's pretty expensive.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Any familiarity with crowdox.com?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 11:45:47 am »
I've not heard of them before.  I've only seen backerkit.com used before, and I have no idea what their pricing is (their faq even says "contact us for pricing")

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 12:09:28 pm »
Nice, so that's another one to look into.  Thanks!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 12:21:13 pm »
Almost every kickstarter I've backed since Backerkit started up has used Backerkit.

It's super slick, knows how to handle "add-ons," including upping your pledge during your reward selection (obviously you'd then have to go through a secure checkout for the difference).  It's basically the "this is how the Kickstarter backer surveys should have been done."

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 12:22:39 pm »
Yeah, now that you mention it I have seen it quite a bit.

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 06:20:28 pm »
Backerkit is legit.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 02:34:43 am »
Choosing one that allows backers to upgrade would be good, although KS probably still has the highest initial reach, IMO? Of the others, I've only heard of indiegogo and backerkit - not a serial pledger.

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 08:14:23 am »
KS is normally where you run your campaign. You can offer things like addons (ie: "add $15 to your pledge to get a second copy of AIW2 for a friend"), and Backerkit helps manage that stuff by having any required surveys and such easily managed from the KS data. Backerkit also lets you add addons after the campaign is over, so you could decide later to add a second copy to your pledge, or buy a hat, or whatever.

It may not be necessary in this case because the tiers are relatively striaghtforward and there aren't any addons right now, but for more complicated campaigns I've seen it used to great effect.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 11:54:00 am »
Backerkit is legit.
I'll add to this as well. I've only used it twice or so, but its pretty alright.

Offline Xgamer4

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 06:43:19 pm »
Backerkit is the one I primarily see, yeah. One company I've backed a few times uses pledgemanager (https://www.pledgemanager.com/), and it seems functional enough.

...Do you actually need a secondary pledge manager? The use-case I usually see is to manage campaigns that want to easily allow late backers/paypal backers or to manage complex addons and/or shipping. Your rule-of-thumb is to not have physical goods, which negates a chunk of it, and there seems to be a pretty minimal number of possible addons from your tentative tier list, which negates that portion. Beyond that, you have an existing store front, and hooking non-KS-based pledges into that probably shouldn't be too difficult?

You ultimately know better than I do, though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk