Author Topic: Main UI and game first impression when starting.  (Read 4083 times)

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
Main UI and game first impression when starting.
« on: September 14, 2019, 01:18:27 am »
Sooo... the UI, and first impression of the game.

I'm not going to lie here, it's the 4th or 5th time I try to test the game.

What happened is that I started the game, and found this odd small patch of 1024*768 screen in the middle.

I tried to put it full screen by double clicking on the title.
I tried to make it bigger by clicking on the side of window.

I failed, because those options didn't exist. I deemed that the game wasn't in "ready mode" and exited the game.

:-[

Sorry.

:-\

On my last try, I actually looked and found that fullscreen was supported but in options.

Sooooo the suggestion here.
- Double click on title to fullscreen.
- Enable the player to resize windows.

If, for some reason, it's complex, at least, could you please start the game in full screen at current resolution ? Please ;D ?
Because... When I get a game that start full screen, I'm under the impression that it's a full game. When it starts window sized, I have the impression that it's a small game. Maybe it's only me. That said. I think AI War II deserve "full game" treatment. That's only my point of view though, so... whatever.

2nd remark, I get a pop-up asking me for Dx11 or OpenGL. This is still a thing on windows ? Do you have a way to remove this ?
As a player, I don't care about this pop-up. IMO you could have the player make this choice by inputting something in (steam/library/rightclick/properties/set launch options) or to make a second branch for OpenGL here. I suppose that windows works with Dx11 and others with OpenGL, so... I'd propose to make players start with this. I probably don't know something which imposes this choice ?

3rd remark: Tutorial.
I noticed that they're not there. But still, what I'm suggesting is that the tutorial button is moved so it gets the attention it deserves.
- I think there should be a "tutorial" button in the single player menu.
- I think there should be a pop-up asking the player something in the lines of "This game present a bit of a steep learning curve at start, would you like to start the tutorial ?" when the game is started for the first time. Once the tutorials are done, ofc.

4th remark: Single player custom start.
As a whole it's good, but I'd suggest:
- place a random auto-generated name in the campaign name game if I don't want to choose a name ? I tried to start a game and it put me a pop-up. I don't think it would be a good idea in multiplayer as the game name is important there.
- what is the point of the "regenerate map" button ?

That's about it. Thanks for reading !

Offline Sounds

• Full Member Mark II
Re: Main UI and game first impression when starting.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 04:01:06 am »

[snip]
4th remark: Single player custom start.
As a whole it's good, but I'd suggest:
- place a random auto-generated name in the campaign name game if I don't want to choose a name ? I tried to start a game and it put me a pop-up. I don't think it would be a good idea in multiplayer as the game name is important there.
[snip]

Seems we have similar thoughts :)

In fact earlier today I added this type of thing to the bug/idea tracker.

See 0021643 for further details.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk