Author Topic: Play as the Neinzul  (Read 21108 times)

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
Play as the Neinzul
« on: September 14, 2016, 12:24:34 pm »
I have these guys envisioned as the Carrier based fleets and full on mobile combat platform. 

Carrier has arrived.

How do you see the Neinzul?
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
Re: Play as the Neinzul
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 12:39:49 pm »
A fleet of enclave ships makes the most sense. Their flagship should be a bigger carrier, of course.

You could take it to extremes like mobile space docks, so they can create their younglings nearby whatever they want to attack. Only things that would be stationary are probably things like turrets, metal generation, and supporting infrastructure.

They may also be able to avoid more AI notice because they wander around already and that wouldn't be anormal to the AI.

Lots of contrasting points to Human and especially Spire playstyles, I think.

Offline otoed1

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 12:59:35 pm »
You could possibly make their younglings difficult to control directly (they only follow orders roughly)  and have some "Mature" ships that you control directly. Make them feel very "swarm" and at least tactically difficult to control. Although strategy should be 100% controllable as per the norm.

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 01:04:28 pm »
To make neinzuls, I'd have ditched all permanent stuctures but one building that would be an extension of the regen chamber.
The "new" regen chamber would have to double as a drone holder of sorts, capable of unleashing hordes on whatever encroaches your territory.
Most of defenses would have to be drones, the fleet of the player the "few" mature units, and the moving enclave.

I'm not sure if it would be better to have the player control multiple flagships, each with its fleet of enclave, rather than enclaves directly.
Leaving a possibility for specialized "leader-less" enclave squads.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 01:11:49 pm by kasnavada »

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 01:39:45 pm »
Carrier has arrived.
This, pretty much. Lots of carriers. Enclaves as sorta home-baseish carriers. NCCs too.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 01:58:07 pm »
As meta-organisms with separate consciousnesses in addition to the limited consciousness of individual members. Don't think you are asking about lore and philosophy though.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 02:02:16 pm »
As meta-organisms with separate consciousnesses in addition to the limited consciousness of individual members. Don't think you are asking about lore and philosophy though.
It's all good!  :)

I'm more concerned about how they should play as a controlled selection, though.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Timerlane

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 03:14:39 pm »
Perhaps some 'capital' ships and/or structures could be fluffed as being based on the AI's Hybrid-tech(some more room for variation and perhaps explanation for longer living vessels)?

Say, some slightly-odd faction of the Neinzul saw what the AI was doing with Hybrids and decided to try some tinkering of their own.

Neinzul cyberpunk? :P
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 03:17:50 pm by Timerlane »

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 06:24:22 am »
I often feel "Neinzul" when I (ab)use the MkI-IV ENclave Starship + Combat Carrier.

I also remember a wonderful game where I had the chance to unlock three youngling designs: I maxed them all up to MkIV, unlocked the Mobile Space Dock, let everything else as defensive fleet, and went storming AI space with my MSD (loop-build on 3x4=12 caps of younglings and FDR: as the MSD has no gun, with a FRD order, it goes straight to the target, but everything that comes out of it inherit FRD and spread toward enemies.)

It was like controlling dozens of friendly Roaming Enclaves. It's a golden memory I truly cherish.
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 05:17:42 pm »
Imagination:
The Neinzul faction will have somewhat of a different start. They won't begin with metal not harvest tech, and won't need it to build basic ships and structures. Instead of space docks or engineers, large carriers will be responsible for construction - spawning child enclaves that slowly transform into structures.

The younglings will not be individually controllable, but will update their frd/defensive/patrol instructions via command given to their host carrier. So the number of carriers increase your tactical flexibility as well as strength.
That's it for now.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 03:17:41 am »
Imagination:
The Neinzul faction will have somewhat of a different start. They won't begin with metal not harvest tech, and won't need it to build basic ships and structures. Instead of space docks or engineers, large carriers will be responsible for construction - spawning child enclaves that slowly transform into structures.

The younglings will not be individually controllable, but will update their frd/defensive/patrol instructions via command given to their host carrier. So the number of carriers increase your tactical flexibility as well as strength.
That's it for now.
Ohai Zerg! Haven't seen you in a while.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 03:57:54 am »
Yes and no. If you want to have a super- reductionist spree, I suggest boiling down every story to its core components. ;)
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/07/the-six-main-arcs-in-storytelling-identified-by-a-computer/490733/

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 04:12:51 am »
My point was the whole "drones morphing into buildings" thing ^^

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 04:45:03 am »
My point was the whole "drones morphing into buildings" thing ^^

Grey goo style ?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/290790/?l=french

Ok, the game itself may not be deserving of a lot of praise, but the grey goo mechanics could be morphed into something fun. Which would probably deserve its own race.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 04:56:34 am »
Grey Goo is actually a very solid C&C style RTS. Of the best RTSs in later years. Botched by poor performance and poor marketing, unfortunately.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk