Author Topic: Unit voices in AI War 2  (Read 18450 times)

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Unit voices in AI War 2
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2017, 05:02:06 pm »
Who said it can't be spoofed? Reclamation and zombies are a thing.
But those appear to require physical access to the ship, rather than being something that can operate at a distance.

That's true.
Probably uses quantum encryption.

Offline Dominus Arbitrationis

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2017, 05:57:09 pm »
Looks like I can't move it, so I closed it and another can be opened instead in the AI War 2 project: https://bugtracker.arcengames.com/view.php?id=19065

I moved it since no one made a new issue for it. I've set it to be assigned to you, Chris, with the status Assigned and resolution Open.
Come help out at the Wiki!

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2017, 06:27:26 pm »
Hah, so Dominus can do things that even Chris can't figure out!

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2017, 06:51:39 pm »
Who said it can't be spoofed? Reclamation and zombies are a thing.
But those appear to require physical access to the ship, rather than being something that can operate at a distance.
Hacking secure systems generally requires physical access, so it makes sense.

Ya know, I kinda like the idea of 'spoofed' units.  Imagine the fun of seeing some of your units moving around - you can highlight them, get their status, even 'give orders; and get an acknowledgement! - only they don't actually do what you say, and when they get to their target, suddenly Poof, they're back in AI colors and attacking you.

Actually, maybe I don't like it.  Let's not do that.

Offline Dominus Arbitrationis

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2017, 06:56:48 pm »
Hah, so Dominus can do things that even Chris can't figure out!

Heh, just don't ask me to do the crazy coding Chris and Keith do. That stuff is basically magic to me. Web/database servers, on the other hand, I can usually handle pretty well. :)
Come help out at the Wiki!

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2017, 09:12:21 am »
Heh, just don't ask me to do the crazy coding Chris and Keith do. That stuff is basically magic to me. Web/database servers, on the other hand, I can usually handle pretty well. :)

Don't worry, its magic for us too. ;)

Offline WolfWhiteFire

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2017, 12:16:05 pm »
Ya know, I kinda like the idea of 'spoofed' units.  Imagine the fun of seeing some of your units moving around - you can highlight them, get their status, even 'give orders; and get an acknowledgement! - only they don't actually do what you say, and when they get to their target, suddenly Poof, they're back in AI colors and attacking you.
I believe I actually asked about the possibility of a similar situation in either the discord channel or one of the kickstarter updates, I remember asking about the possibility of having it where the Nemesis can take over some of your units, and send them to do its bidding if you aren't observant and careful. Where your turrets and ships and the such will only attack them either once they make a move or when you tell them too, the only differences being this would only happen with the Nemesis active, and maybe set to a high enough difficulty, and that it would use your own ships, so they wouldn't switch back to AI colors.

Offline powpow

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2018, 08:28:22 am »
What about adding some other voiceover things; like maybe to go with whatever other queues we have for incoming waves, or CPAs, the AI will also taunt you; "The attack on Murdoch will break your foolish defenses." "This CPA will finish you."   Or if a wave fails the attack, it could say "I have learned much about how to crush you."

Using menacing voiceovers along with your other queues would allow the enemy to take on more personality.

Bonus points if the super ships , uniques(like uh golems?) you can rebuild have slightly unique, more active voice sets, especially when they die. "Mayday, mayday!"(BOOM)

AI: "Ha. Ha. Ha."

I would absolutely love there to be voice acting for the AI, having recently finished XCOM 2 - War of the Chosen which features boss aliens that constantly show up to disrupt your plans and taunt you.

Voice acted AI:
- is way more immersive and atmospheric than simple text
- makes the game feel alive and responsive to your actions
- adds personality and would be a memorable talking/selling point ("that b*stard AI just ripped my base to shreds and laughed at me! I'll show it who's boss!")

I appreciate your extremely limited budget but I hope this makes it into the final game!

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2018, 10:51:57 am »
Voices are definitely going to be a thing in AIW2. At the moment you get voices for placing new buildings and moving Planetary Constructors, and Fighter voices will be in for .706. I'm not sure what the schedule is for other things, but there will be a lot of audio!

Offline powpow

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2018, 07:02:50 pm »
YES!!!!!!! Looking forward to it :)

Offline WolfWhiteFire

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2018, 10:04:25 pm »
With voices for AI and various taunts, something that could be somewhat funny/interesting and good for new players is an AI that mocks your mistakes, even stating what they are, when it fights you, for example if it deals a large blow against you (such as taking back a system, killing flagship or ark, etc.) with cloaked units it could have taunts for those situations. Could be a useful sort of tutorial AI, also a good way to motivate players to prepare for more things (who's laughing now you arrogant AI?)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk