Author Topic: Replace wormhole transit attrition with deepstrike attrition  (Read 3951 times)

Offline tadrinth

Replace wormhole transit attrition with deepstrike attrition
« on: October 09, 2016, 11:53:33 pm »
Transports are limited in range by losing hp when they transit hostile wormholes.

It seems like it would be simpler and more intuitive to make them attrition when they are more than X hops out.

That way, you have a clearer 'operating range' for them.  And, so long as it isn't under fire,  a transport can always make it home.

You could also apply this mechanic to scouts, to limit scout pickets a bit. You can still picket within a few hops of your territory, but to maintain pickets farther out requires paying AIP to clear systems. 

Posting this here to see if this seems like a useful mechanic to have around.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
Re: Replace wormhole transit attrition with deepstrike attrition
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 12:55:27 am »
Transports went the way of the fortress.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline z99-_

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 10:59:09 am »
Transports went the way of the fortress.

On the KS page, there's a picture of the new UI that shows a HBC with transport immunity. Unless there's something in the design doc about a new transport mechanic that I haven't read yet (very possible)?

Offline Sestren

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 11:25:39 am »
Ship bays and carriers (per the special forces section) exist and those have a function that could be described as transport. I assume Cinth means specifically the player constructible transports. I do kind of wonder at the rationale from that because, at least from my browsing AARs, they seem to be somewhat frequently used. Was it a balance, clarity or technical concern?

Personally, I never remember to use the things so I don't mind.

Offline z99-_

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 11:57:02 am »
Ship bays and carriers (per the special forces section) exist and those have a function that could be described as transport. I assume Cinth means specifically the player constructible transports.

Ah, I hadn't thought of ship bays and carriers, good point. Although, now that I am thinking about it, I don't see ship bays requiring immobile structures to have transport immunity; I also thought I read Cris or someone say they were hoping to get rid of carriers - something I would support more than getting rid of transports.

I don't really use transports - in fact, the only game I did was where I used assault transport cheese, which should definitely be balanced out if transports do make a return. Still, I don't want to deny anyone something they use in their playstyle.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 12:56:41 pm »
Everything shown in the KS is prototype stuff.   

Transports getting cut is a better solution to the cheese :)

I'm pretty sure the need for AI carriers is gone, but I'd like to keep them because they are thematic in a lot of ways.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk