Author Topic: Idea for Fortress reworking  (Read 8166 times)

Offline Chthon

• Sr. Member Mark II
Idea for Fortress reworking
« on: October 10, 2016, 12:30:54 am »
I have heard a number of complaints about how for the AI, fortresses amounted to just overpriced guard posts, and were never cost effective for the player. I agree to a certain extent, but deny that they have been taken out, as they are repeatedly referred to in the AI War II Design Document. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IdzU90psGas_3UFe23BLvsGQ8fclec49NmnbHfwkZ8w/edit# For example, page 87 mentions behavior with regards to fortresses. Instead of denying their existence, I propose we address their problems and find a more creative way to differentiate them, and to improve them.

For starters, in AI War, fortresses were hard countered by bombers. You can send a single cap of Mk 1 bombers to kill most marks of Fortress, so long as your bombers were safe from other threats. This was because of the damage modifier they had towards bombers of .01x damage. Such a cheap counter is counter intuitive for a structure that counterintuitive for what they were meant to be used for. However just removing the modifier has it's own problem, in that now nothing can touch them.

I propose the following. Fortresses have no real main attack anymore. Instead they house defensive fighters for the planet/solar system they are in. What kind of fighters is based on the mark, as well as their range. In all cases, the cap is less effective than their normal counterparts. However they are cheaper (in that they are automatically replenished over time) and soak up some of the incoming damage for the defending fleet.

Lets start with Mini-fortresses. In the past you could place two of these in every system, but they were more or less just a speed bump in the path of the AI. Instead I suggest they have half a cap of planet wide Tactical Superiority fighters available to them. Also, I believe rather than a flat 2 per system, it should be based on the resources available in the system. If the planet has lower than average resources only one will be able to be supported, while if it has average or above, two can be supported. They will also have room for a quarter cap of ships to be repaired each.

For fortresses, there are 3 marks in the original, and a possibility of 2 more marks if added, and Super Fortresses. I believe they should be supported and support a solar system now. Every resource generator effective should add to a pool of support for fortresses. This lets a solar system support a certain number of fortresses of different marks, up to the player how they distribute them. For example if the owned resource pool for a system is 6, a player may decide to build 1 Mk III Fortress and a Mk II, 3 Mk IIs, or 6 Mk Is. This mind you is subject to balance considerations and should just serve as an example of what I am considering.

Likewise, the fighter stock will also support the entire solar system. If a structure is under attack that is owned by the same faction as a fortress in a system, the fortress will launch it's fighters to intercept and defend that structure. If the structure in question is on a different planet in the system, the fortress will warp the fighters into the outside of the gravity well at the destination planet. Mind you the fortress has one set of fighters for all the planets in the solar system, so once they are dead, no more will come until there is enough time to construct more.

Here is a breakdown of what each fortress should have and it's relative resource cost:
Fortress Mk I
Resource Cost 1
1 full cap of tactical superiority fighters
Room for half a cap of ships docked for repairs (more on this part later)

Fortress Mk II
Resource Cost 2
1 full cap of siege style ships
Room for a full cap of ships docked for repairs

Fortress Mk III
Resource Cost 4
1 full cap of capital class ships (A small kind?)
Room for one and a half caps of ships docked for repairs

Fortress Mk IV
Resource Cost 6
1 full cap of capital class ships
1 full cap of special forces ships. Actual kind may be selected by player preference
Room for two caps of ships docked for repairs

Fortress Mk V
Resource Cost 10
2 full caps of tactical superiority fighters
2 full caps of siege style ships
2 full caps of capital class ships
1 full cap of special forces ships.
Room for three caps of ships docked for repairs

Super Fortresses need to feel more super. I feel that each side should be able to support exactly one as it currently stands. Furthermore they are immense structures able to warp ships out of their current solar systems into a neighboring system. As such they service their solar system and any connected solar systems. When warping ships however, they start in the solar system on the edge of the gravity well of the planet closest to the system the Super Fortress resides. As such they will be last of the defensive fighters to enter the battle.

Super Fortress
One per side supported
4 full caps of tactical superiority fighters
4 full caps of siege style ships
4 full caps of capital class ships
3 full cap of special forces ships.
Room for ten caps of ships docked for repairs

Now if you noticed I mention in all of these that they have room for a certain number of ships docked for repairs. With the new fleet system, I believe that we need to look at how we repair our fleets. In the past we had engineers to do that job, and fortresses when the ships were close enough. However since we are already relooking at how we organize fleets, perhaps we should take another look at how we repair ships in a system.

One of the drawbacks of the old system was that we had to build a certain number of engineers in every system in some cases to perform maintenance, not just on structures, but our fleets as well. Rather than do this, I suggest we delegate them to structures and new construction primarily, only performing fleet maintenance when no other duties are pressing. Instead I believe that fortresses should take over the job of repairing existing fleets by placing ships in dry dock.

Wait, you say, do fortresses now work for a solar system and not just a single planet? Do we wish to micromanage our ships going to and coming from the fortress? No, I say. Why not work the new repair mechanic into how fleets operate. I suggest that during time between fights, a fleet will automatically send up to X% of their ships that are damaged (default 10%) to a nearby dry dock. During this time if the fleet is attacked, their missing ships will be warped in with the support ships from the local fortress. As such they automatically rotate out their damage ships to be repaired and they will return when done. This removes the actual action of repairing ships from the player's hand, frees up the engineers to do other tasks, and gives fortresses another important job in the logistics of a system.

But wait, there's more. Repairing a ship in dry dock is far faster and cheaper than doing so in deep space. I'm not going to suggest it be free, but say it's 4x faster, I feel it should also cost .25x the resources as a deep space repair. This makes them a critical asset for controlling a system, and a juicy target for an aggressor. Without them, you either have to devote extra resources to repairs, or rotate your fleet out manually to a nearby system. This mechanism also with Super Fortress's neighboring system range, makes them even more super, as they can support a system that has recently lost it's logistical support.

Just some background on where I got some of my ideas from, some of my favorite modules for modular fortresses were always the ones that provided fighters. The fact that other weapons had range restrictions meant that if you relied on those, enemy ships could opt to simply go around, ignoring the fortress completely. Fighter/bomber bays allowed the fortress to be relevant regardless of it's placement as it's fighters would chase down the enemy, and even intercept firepower for your fleets.

I also don't think they should send waves of fighters like the modules either. While their fighters are roughly the same power as the modules in theory, they should construct and build them over time similar to Preservation Wardens, releasing them all at once when needed. They also should not release replacements that are made too few at a time, instead opting to hold back until they have a meaningful number before launching them. Finally, they are not time limited. If they survive, they return to repair and rearm. Lets leave the time limited ships to the Neinzul.

Let me know if you like my idea, or if you see problems with balance. I am open for debating how this would work, but I feel that this would help differentiate what a fortress's purpose is vs. a guard post, and make them not only worth building, but important logistical structures in all cases.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
Re: Idea for Fortress reworking
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 01:04:06 am »
IIRC, repairing is something that is going into the Planet Management screens. 

Your suggestion overall sounds a lot like ship bays for players.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 01:28:50 am »
I have heard a number of complaints about how for the AI, fortresses amounted to just overpriced guard posts, and were never cost effective for the player. I agree to a certain extent, but deny that they have been taken out, as they are repeatedly referred to in the AI War II Design Document.
Err. Sorry Chthon. I'm working on AI War 2. Pretty sure I got an email confirming they were gone.

And yeah, they're being replaced by ship bays and guardposts.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 02:59:05 am by Captain Jack »

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 06:51:47 am »
This sounds more like Starbases than Fortresses to me... Which I approve of. Could be limited to one per system or some such, as they effectively support and guard the entire thing anyway by launching ships.

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 07:05:15 am »
This sounds more like Starbases than Fortresses to me... Which I approve of. Could be limited to one per system or some such, as they effectively support and guard the entire thing anyway by launching ships.

I like this too. It has to be seen if it's compatible with the new energy mechanics.

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 07:19:01 am »

I like this too. It has to be seen if it's compatible with the new energy mechanics.

Yeah. Couple options there:
- Put it on a planet and have it draw a LOT of power there, which is a tradeoff making that system more vulnerable but providing defense to everywhere else in the system
- Give it internal power generation, effectively letting it not consume power. If you're limited to one per system due to the scale, then it's not a particular problem.

I like where this is going. :)

Offline Chthon

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 07:52:21 am »
I have heard a number of complaints about how for the AI, fortresses amounted to just overpriced guard posts, and were never cost effective for the player. I agree to a certain extent, but deny that they have been taken out, as they are repeatedly referred to in the AI War II Design Document.
Err. Sorry Chthon. I'm working on AI War 2. Pretty sure I got an email confirming they were gone.

And yeah, they're being replaced by ship bays and guardposts.
Listen, I'm not calling you a liar in the slightest. However the evidence I have at my disposal consists of a 150+ page design document written by the head of Arcen Games, going into painstaking detail about every facet he can think of, and the word of two people. The document does not at this point say fortresses are out. In fact it suggests the opposite in it's tone.

What I am getting is conflicting information, and for now I'm going to go with what I feel is the most reliable source. It also doesn't hurt to talk about ideas here either, as things can change.

Also, either way I'm going to be supporting the KS. I'm excited about it.

Yeah. Couple options there:
- Put it on a planet and have it draw a LOT of power there, which is a tradeoff making that system more vulnerable but providing defense to everywhere else in the system
- Give it internal power generation, effectively letting it not consume power. If you're limited to one per system due to the scale, then it's not a particular problem.

I like where this is going. :)
Hrm... good point there. My idea was to have them operate as if their resource draw was handled behind the scenes so players didn't have to worry over it. You know, one less thing on their plates. However with power and fuel splitting, it wouldn't make sense to have them use neither. They are a defensive structure, so I would go with power consumption making sense for them. After all, power is a resource that the player should have to manage, and managing the power for the fortresses/starbases (I like that term) might be a good trade off for the convenience they provide. I.e. You don't manage where they send their system defense ships or their repairs, but you do have to manage their power or they stop working.

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 08:34:17 am »
::)

Or fortress replacement could be a fixed "unique" structure that would consume all of the energy in the planet and that would completely replace any other structure but the command station and energy boosters. It's total power being tied to the energy level on said planet.

Offline tadrinth

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 12:29:36 pm »
As soon as mod tools are available I expect there to be at least three different reimplementations of forts available. 

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 12:49:55 pm »
As soon as mod tools are available I expect there to be at least three different reimplementations of forts available.
Yep. That could work, really. Try stuff out and see how they work, then Chris and Keith can see results without doing anything. If they like one of the implementations, go from there. I expect a lot of mod authors would be happy to see their idea make it into the core game if they get a note in the credits or some such.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 01:08:13 pm »
What I am getting is conflicting information, and for now I'm going to go with what I feel is the most reliable source. It also doesn't hurt to talk about ideas here either, as things can change.

I'm going to share part of an email from Chris to Keith and me.
3. For turrets, I'd like to have them be player-side guard posts instead, for now.  Could you design those?  I'd also like to take away fortresses and mini-forts as redundant (on the player side).  Actually frankly on the AI side I'm not sure how relevant they are, either; they're basically just guard posts.

That was a week ago and the only updates to the doc were from me adding the rest of the units.  We even had a conversation on chat while I was doing this, so I know you know I was adding to it.
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Chthon

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 09:43:47 pm »

I'm going to share part of an email from Chris to Keith and me.
3. For turrets, I'd like to have them be player-side guard posts instead, for now.  Could you design those?  I'd also like to take away fortresses and mini-forts as redundant (on the player side).  Actually frankly on the AI side I'm not sure how relevant they are, either; they're basically just guard posts.

That was a week ago and the only updates to the doc were from me adding the rest of the units.  We even had a conversation on chat while I was doing this, so I know you know I was adding to it.
I didn't know that you could add things actually. I thought it was all Chris doing it. Even still, you never know what can happen. If we come up with an idea you like here that is unique enough and helps the game, then you might implement it for us before the game is released. :P

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 09:51:31 pm »
I didn't know that you could add things actually. I thought it was all Chris doing it. Even still, you never know what can happen. If we come up with an idea you like here that is unique enough and helps the game, then you might implement it for us before the game is released. :P

I wasn't trying to stop discussion of the idea in general, that's why I tried to keep it in the other thread.  Right now everything going into 1.0 is fairly set.  The doc needs some things explained and polished up.  That's what my last thread was for.

Just understand that unless something changes, it's looking at post 1.0 content :)  (I'd like to have my fortress back too).

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 02:05:06 pm »
I am unclear on what fortresses add now.

They can't be used to concentrate defenses for the player, because of perplanet power - regardless if they are gun batteries or shipbays.  Since there are no longer large battlefields, I don't see them adding much to the AI that you do not get with a cluster of guard posts.  (in AI War, the occasional 'super grouped' clusters of enhanced command station + shields + numerous guard posts is far more dangerous and interesting than fortresses ever were.) 

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 02:19:28 pm »
Energy mechanics are surely going to change, but since there is still the "energy base building" + additional buildings that eat metal. Only they're on the planet now, and provide energy on the planet. So fortress "could" be possible there, as would big defenses on one planet are still a possibility.

In any case, Fortress "now" are probably a bit less interesting than turrets... but the idea would be to rework them to be cool =).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk