Author Topic: Why are ships coming from outside the planet?  (Read 5957 times)

Offline dreyshock

Why are ships coming from outside the planet?
« on: October 07, 2016, 02:49:45 pm »
Hello, I noticed that in the game I received a warning that some AI ships would attack me on a planet I hold that doesn't have any warp gates adjacent to it.  I put tachyon sentinels on all wormholes at this planet.  However the AI ships appeared from the border of my system, which I didn't expect.  I don't have any expansions enabled nor plots enabled in this game.  May someone please explain why this is happening?  Thanks.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
Re: Why are ships coming from outside the planet?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 05:28:10 pm »
Sounds like a wave from a counterattack guard post.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline dreyshock

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 05:54:51 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I don't think it was a counterattack guard post, as I don't have plots enabled, and also from scouting I saw no guard post.  Would there be another explanation?

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 06:00:54 pm »
There probably is, though I can't think of what it could be at this time :/
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 07:37:06 pm »
Well, as Cinth said, counter-waves meet your description perfectly, but if Counter-Posts isn't enabled, that shouldn't be it.
Warp Relays might do it, but that's also a plot that needs to be enabled.
Warp Guardians can send waves to inner systems if the timing is right, but those should be normal waves (appearing at the wormhole).
You can get some funky results sometimes if you conquer a system and leave a Troop Accelerator or similar sort of spawner in the system, but again - that's not normally counter-wave-like.
Showdown can do it, which is technically not a plot but a minor faction.  I think you'd be aware of that one, though.
Marauders spawn like that, but normally don't appear without a battle already occurring.

Dreyshock, if you're willing, you can post your game here as an attachment, and I'm sure someone will be willing to take a look at it to see.

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 01:37:04 am »
An AI tractor ship + raid engine could do that, probably.

Offline dreyshock

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 11:44:38 am »
Thanks for the replies so far.  The ships are appearing on a planet adjacent to a system with an exogalatic wormhole, which had belonged to AI no. 1 and which I colonized.  I read that this wormhole can function as a warp gate, but I thought the enemy ships would still appear from the planet's wormhole and not randomly from the border of the system.

I've attached the save game.  There's the warning that ships will be attacking Isibingre, which is next to Mbver (the planet with the exogalatic wormhole).  I've also attached a screenshot taken from when the ships begin invading (which as can be seen, appear from the border of the planetary system).  Has anyone else experienced this before?

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 11:38:43 am »
Hmm. No, I can't deduce why that happens. Is it something special with Exogalactic Wormholes?
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline dreyshock

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 04:14:34 pm »
OK thanks.  Should I submit a bug report over this then for whatever that's worth (if no other explanation is forthcoming)?

Offline Diazo

• Master Member Mark II
  • I love/hate Diff 10
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 11:04:58 pm »
Okay, I loaded your save up and this is actually a combination of 2 things.

First, the Exo-Galactic Wormhole is effectively a Warp Gate you can't destroy, with all the functions there-of. This includes the ability to spawn waves through a warp point into an adjacent system without them traveling in-game.

Second, if there isn't a valid spawn point for a wave (or anything else really), the fallback spawn point is "random point on system edge" that you see here.

So yes, I would agree that you are running into a bug, however I don't think it is a big one. My best guess is that the actual bug is that the Exo-Galactic Wormhole "Warp Gate" always uses the fall-back "spawn at system edge" logic for some reason, instead of spawning at the wormhole like a normal warp gate.

Hope that clarifies things.

D.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 03:40:34 am »
Okay, I loaded your save up and this is actually a combination of 2 things.

First, the Exo-Galactic Wormhole is effectively a Warp Gate you can't destroy, with all the functions there-of. This includes the ability to spawn waves through a warp point into an adjacent system without them traveling in-game.

Second, if there isn't a valid spawn point for a wave (or anything else really), the fallback spawn point is "random point on system edge" that you see here.

So yes, I would agree that you are running into a bug, however I don't think it is a big one. My best guess is that the actual bug is that the Exo-Galactic Wormhole "Warp Gate" always uses the fall-back "spawn at system edge" logic for some reason, instead of spawning at the wormhole like a normal warp gate.

Hope that clarifies things.

D.
That was my guess as well.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline dreyshock

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 01:50:06 pm »
Many thanks, good to know.  I've submitted a minor bug report, for what it's worth.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk