5 (27.8%)
Wheel
0 (0%)
Honeycomb
2 (11.1%)
Encapsulated
2 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Vote for your favorite map style!  (Read 3256 times)

Offline badman

Vote for your favorite map style!
« on: August 16, 2016, 09:28:21 am »
Hi!
What is yours favorite map style?

I like Clusters - simple
I like it because is easy to see connections also easy to defend after conquering one of the cluster.

Vote for yours fav, also can add comment why this one!

Offline ewokonfire

• Newbie Mark III
Re: Vote for your favorite map style!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 10:13:31 am »
I like Encapsulated because it provides a decent variety of gameplay.  You have both the linear push around the edge of the map, and the more freeform and chaotic battle in the central clusters.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 07:58:55 pm »
Voted clusters, but it's possible that encapsulated is more appealing.
(For what it's worth, Clusters was actually an idea of mine waaay back)

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 08:05:10 pm »
Encapsulated with Nomads on is a lot of fun.

Personally, I like Honeycomb (after the per-planet turrets :) ) because you've got a mix of high-connectivity and isolation, depending on seed and size.
When I was learning, I played the X and Maze maps a lot (very easy to make amazing Whipping Boys).
Cluster was great before the per-planet turrets - and is still good - but I think Honeycomb makes for more interesting maps, especially if you don't show all stars at the start.

I never play Snake, though.  Games just take way too long.
Before auto-untangle, the Vines and similar maps were unplayable to me.  Now, I can play them, but they suffer a bit from Snake syndrome (30 and 40 hops distances between AI worlds, etc).

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 12:15:51 pm »
The "Last Game I Ever Won" was back on one of the older style maps (pre LotS) that me and a friend managed to 100% own a backwater area (1 entry point) and barricaded the hell out of that system (no really: every turret in the game (including the Heavy Beam Cannon IV), every fortress, and a super fort).

Even under the new low-accessibility rules (double wave size) that system would have been impenetrable.

We then proceeded to load our fleets into transports and truck it out as far as we could go (7 jumps at the time), took the system, healed/replenished transports, then GTFO'd another 7 systems out so we could drop a cloaking starship and a dozen colony ships in a Rebel Outpost system (to refresh the 2 hour timer regularly) then a short jaunt over to the Mk4 Factory, which was within "Striking Distance" (cough, 7 jumps, cough) of the homeworlds.

Ah, good times, good times.

And now you know why transports have Attrition on Out of Supply Jumps.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk