Author Topic: Why not produce a language package?  (Read 1359 times)

Offline nulllllllllll

Why not produce a language package?
« on: May 02, 2011, 07:31:06 am »
Just English,no other language...There should be other language besides en..
The language package should include chinese/japanese ect.you guys don/t think so?

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Why not produce a language package?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 08:46:45 am »
Language packs are... expensive! Especially with a game that hanged so frequently. We can't jut translate it once and leave it. The game also does not presently support Japanese or Chinese characters, because those require additional fonts, etc. AI War 3.0 was translated into Russian and German, but only for the versions of the game sold by the regional publishers in those areas. So it was an expense of those publishers, not of us.

Multilanguage support is something I really wish we could do better, but the game has several novels' worth of text if you count the expansions, and it's changing monthly. And thTs before you even get to the wiki, which is pretty important! So it's really too much of a financial burden for a game this niche, anyway.

Hope that makes sense, and welcome to the forums!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Y PzKpfw Tiger!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 05:08:19 pm »
Have you ever considered hiring a discount translator? Some of them are pretty good, and they work for a pittance.

...I'm totally not referring to myself.
The beatings shall continue
until morale improves!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 06:24:59 pm »
Could be, but it's one of those things where I have no way of knowing what the end quality is if I don't know the person or company. And once it's up and translated, then we have to KEEP it translates, which gets expensive especially if the original discount translater changes their rates or becomes unavailable. And here's always work on the programming side to adjust for this or that in oter languages, and then I have to get up with existing and new distributors to actually market the translated version in order for it to earn back what I'd spent making the translation... And then I suddenly have to support the game for people that don't speak English. We have plenty of non-native speakers already, but it's the case where all of them are able to read and write at least passable English as well. If someone speaks only Mandarin and we speak only English, and they have some sort of problem, then they're pretty hosed, which I'm not happy about.

All of those are solvable problems, but a lot of those require either us to be a larger company or for us to have a publisher partner. Which we're always open to, but the German and Russian markets are some of the few that actually are still thriving in terms of pc games. And to be honest, neither of those have made us substantial money to the point where it's a very exciting investment of my time and effort. I'd rather be making new games, or expanding existing ones, not porting and translating existing ones.

I'm sure a lot of this will change with time, and if our games were not so text-heavy AND so post-release update-prone it wouldn't be a big deal. But as it stands we need more staff and financial buffer before it really becomes feasible, even if the initial translation itself is done very inexpensively.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 06:50:22 pm »
Just out of curiosity; what rates did you pay for the v3.0 translations?
until morale improves!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 09:56:40 pm »
Just out of curiosity; what rates did you pay for the v3.0 translations?

Zero dollars. The publishers did that on their dime. The Russian translation was, from what I can tell, diligent and excellent. The German one I'm told was utter crap; half a dozen fans who speak German volunteered and helped fix the broken translation before the publisher went to manufacturing.

Then the game got on store shelves, the publisher went out of business, and we never saw once cent from German retail sales of that game. Though we did spend a few thousand in legal fees and a lot of my time. So if you wonder why a lot of indies are skeptical of regional localization for wordy games, this is part of why. Even when you spend nothing, it can really cost you.

On the other hand, I've been really happy with the Russian publisher. And tidalis was brought to German retail by a different publisher than ai war, and they seem way better about... everything. But localization is always an involved process, especially when it's done diligently.

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 09:59:03 pm »
So you have no insight into how your publisher handles things like these? Neither on how they chose the translators, nor in how they pay them?

Sadness! This capitalist world, in which good games rot in stores because bad publishers failed to care!  >:(
until morale improves!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 08:59:13 am »
The publishers have companies that they are comfortable with that they work with routinely.  As I didn't have any particular knowledge of any translation services or their costs, I didn't ask.  The two publishers that I still work with are actually really good and really on top of things, but I don't have any reason to pry into the parts of the business that I have no expertise in (translation, mainly, but also packaging in their region).

Offline Red Spot

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 12:16:15 pm »
I vaguelly remember a game that used its fanbase to create some localizations .. you'd be glad if you bought the english version.
You cant depend on your fanbase (they may be friendly, gentle, helpfull people, but you cant control them and when you have a releasedate you "must" have that localization in order), and anything that is used for commercial purpose costs you a lot as you not only pay for the work, you also pay for the fact you will put your name on someone elses work (sort of).

Chris, there are companies that try to get people like myself involved, that speak 1-2-3 "foreign" languages AND english .. at a certain level.
I can leave for Madrid/Dublin/London/Dubai tomorrow if I want and those are only the places where I "know" I can start without doing much effort to get the job (pays crap though). Usually these jobs are some sort of support/helpdesk jobs but there are some fun things to be found .. sailinginstructor on the caribbean anyone (again, pays like crap, and you can be out of a job in no-time .. else I would be there now :D).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk