Author Topic: Turret Controllers and hacking?  (Read 10928 times)

Offline Zair

• Jr. Member Mark II
  • Tooth Spawner Mk IV
Turret Controllers and hacking?
« on: July 23, 2013, 08:29:41 pm »
In a game I've been playing recently I ran into a rather interesting planet on my way to one of the Advanced Research stations, which was in a dead end. The system immediately before it had two Fabs (Lightning Frigate V and Zenith Starship V) which both sound juicy enough that I decided to hack it with a beachhead once I took the ARS for myself. Thing is, there's also a Core Turret Controller in the system as well, granting Flak-Vs.

I never actually planned on capturing the system, since I want to try to keep my AIP from growing too huge, so it's still left under AI control. I can give up having access to Flak-Vs, I figured.

Yet somehow Flak Vs ended up in my Turret V construction tab after I hacked the system's fabricators. This surprised me a bit, since all I was expecting to get was a mark V starship and lightning frigs.

Are Core Controllers supposed to be hackable or no? I can't find anything in the patch notes to answer this either way - either that or I'm blind.  :(

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
Re: Turret Controllers and hacking?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 08:40:46 pm »
I would guess core turret follows very similar game logic to mobile unit fabricators. So it is not surprising that hacking works for the controller.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 08:46:21 pm »
I'm not sure that's intended, but it seems like a good idea.

aka: It's not a bug, it's a feature!

Offline ZaneWolfe

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 09:08:47 pm »
I cant test this myself but could someone confirm this? Hack a system with a fab or such that has a controller and see you get the fab as well as the controller hacked. Or better yet see if you can just hack a system with ONLY a controller.

If so... yeah its a bug, but I feel it should be a full feature. Because that is pretty sweet.

Also note to self, if this works... I need MORE HACKING PROGRESS! NUKE AN AI WORLD AND BRING IT TO ME!

Edit: I did a test run on this and yes you can use the Fab Hacker to hack core turret controllers. This... I... I don't have enough Hacking progress... The nukes aren't working... I need more AIP and more AIP reduction... Why do I not have enough AIP reduction!?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 04:17:22 pm by ZaneWolfe »

Offline tadrinth

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 06:20:33 pm »
"Fixed a bug where the tabs for building Protector Starships or Spire Corvettes would not show up at Starship Constructors if you'd hacked the corresponding core fab (but had no other access to that bonus type).
This should also make hacking core turret controllers work, though that isn't something we've intentionally included in the existing fab hacking yet so it may have other issues."

http://www.arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=AI_War_-_Current_Post-7.000_Beta#Prerelease_7.006_Design_Meddling

So, seems like this is supposed to work. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk