Author Topic: This AI is awesome.  (Read 219022 times)

Offline superking

• Hero Member Mark III
Re: This AI is awesome.
« Reply #120 on: September 24, 2010, 05:56:09 pm »
I get a little nervous, when I read this thread. The fact that the ai prioritizes ion cannons is actually something that I rely quite a lot on, I tend to build my whole home defence structure on this fact.

I spy with my little eye a classic hole in the wall  :P

Offline Salamander

« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2010, 10:23:47 pm »
I really like the AI in the game, especially when compared to other RTS games. Even basic things like telling a group to attack target x and instead of ignoring things attacking them while en-route while target x is out of range, they shoot at them! I know other games have things like attack-move, but it's nice that it works here automatically like that.

Offline cukeaddict

« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2010, 01:28:35 am »
I once tried playing with the Neinzul Preservation Wardens on... the AI watched how the Neinzul's tractor-beam-immune ships could run around all my planets unchecked, then got some raiders and kept killing my outer planets.  A few hours into the game it decides to do a Cross-Planet attack with 1500 ships, and because I failed at saving my economy from the Neinzul I couldn't make enough turrets to protect myself... and then it insults me as it takes out every world but my home planet, which somehow survived.  Needless to say, after that there was no way I could even manage to attack one of the AI core worlds, so I ragequit.

Haven't run into the etherjets yet, but that would most definitely enrage me.
Yes, I am addicted to cucumbers.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2010, 06:46:04 am »
Why so much rage?  Losing is part of becoming a better player, and ultimately winning.  I get mad with a game when it's boring and the same every time, and the AI doesn't put up a fight.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #124 on: November 05, 2010, 07:50:24 am »
It's tedium which makes me angriest with games. Like if you die and have to restart from just before an unskipable cut scene, that sort of thing.

Well, that and two-hit kills from full health in Monster Hunter.

But neither would make me rage quit. Even things like that just inspire me to come back fighting. Maybe that's simply the way my mind works, though!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2010, 08:15:14 am »
Yeah, multipile big bosses in a row with no savepoints in between are the thing that perhaps make me maddest/weariest.  By the time you figure out the last boss, you've played them all so many times you don't ever want to see them again.  It's a real impediment for my being inclined to finish most RPGs, since the final boss is often that way.

Anyway, digression... ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline cukeaddict

« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2010, 05:35:59 pm »
Why so much rage?  Losing is part of becoming a better player, and ultimately winning.  I get mad with a game when it's boring and the same every time, and the AI doesn't put up a fight.

Rage is just part of the fun and generally makes me keep going instead of quit.  For example, the first time I encountered Neinzul Cockroaches with translocation, they made me angry which is why I enjoyed destroying them.  So it's not ragequitting all the time, it's a reaction almost as if the enemy was real and I just wanted to obliterate them.  That particular game where I quit, I quit because I had only my half-dead homeworld left and couldn't secure any other planets because of a lack of energy to power my fleet, which was already woefully outclassed.

The AI is awesome because it can make you rage, which is something I have never encountered before.  For example, Starcraft 2 has a very predictable AI:  it never rushes you or changes its strategy, whereas AI war is built around a computer opponent that isn't just a cakewalk.

Latest game I have turned the difficulty down and... it masses 400 ships each on 3 worlds near some of my key borders, so I decide to swing by one of those garrisons after I take an ARS, which results in 300 losses for me and a 2-pronged counter-attack that destroys all of my science labs before I know what happened.  A couple hours have passed in that campaign and now the AI is tempting me with 600-700 ships on another border world, just waiting for my fleet to wander too far away or attack out of fear and trigger my doom.

I think it's great that the AI can exploit human emotions since it gives them a strategic and tactical advantage when I focus on the thing that makes me mad instead of the critical objectives.
Yes, I am addicted to cucumbers.

Offline HellishFiend

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #127 on: November 05, 2010, 09:22:52 pm »
Obligatory:
Time to roll out another ball of death.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2010, 08:32:10 am »
I gotcha. :)  As long as the rage is fun, then...! ;)

Offline lovekawakawaii

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #129 on: November 22, 2010, 06:17:16 pm »
EMP guardian is pretty tough just lost to it. Nice work
More music. More monsters. More to explore. More AI War.

Offline Vinraith

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #130 on: November 22, 2010, 06:34:07 pm »
The AI in my present game has discovered that it can use tractor platforms to drag my ships deep into its territory, triggering lots of hostility from said worlds. It's best trick, and the one that ended said game for us, was when it dragged some ships back to an AI homeworld with a core CPA post. Ouch.  ;D

Offline orzelek

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #131 on: November 22, 2010, 06:43:09 pm »
EMP guardians are a surprise ones.. usually quite painful one. My ass got saved by few starships that weren't paralyzed.

Any AI unit that can tractor can and will produce the "drag to my planet" behavior. They like it :D

Offline Vinraith

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #132 on: November 22, 2010, 06:50:56 pm »
EMP guardians are a surprise ones.. usually quite painful one. My ass got saved by few starships that weren't paralyzed.

Any AI unit that can tractor can and will produce the "drag to my planet" behavior. They like it :D

Yup, I'd just never seen it on quite this grand a scale.  ;D

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
  • More turrets! MORE TURRETS!
« Reply #133 on: December 02, 2010, 01:37:22 pm »
I was playing in the Library today while waiting for my next class to start. The AI threw a moderately sized wave at me, which I defeated. Soon after the Emergency Alarms went off in the Library and we had to evacuate the building. I think the AI is a sore loser.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #134 on: December 02, 2010, 01:40:18 pm »
I think the AI is a sore loser.
Yea, I'd keep a close eye on any electronic equipment, if I were you ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk