Author Topic: This AI is awesome.  (Read 219159 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: This AI is awesome.
« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2010, 11:23:01 am »
I did mention before that I thought the irreplaceable-priority logic needed a bit more nuance ;)  Nothing complicated, possibly just a random factor so they don't always get stuck on one thing and there's still a point to the damage-sponge tactic (which is mostly valid, imo, as long as it doesn't result in a total gap-in-the-wall).
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2010, 11:27:31 am »
would it be possible to set something like area-based-modifiers?

for instance, a turret might slightly decrease the priority of everything nearby it, or a forcefield might do similarly perhaps.
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2010, 11:28:39 am »
There's already logic that estimates the strength of units near something, etc.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2010, 11:30:54 am »
oh. Maybe it should be more profound, if a turret ball of doom +3 isnt enough to deter it...
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2010, 11:32:43 am »
Normally it does count, iirc.  I'm thinking that currently it's just being overridden by the "this is an irreplaceable structure" logic.  Often this is desirable, but it shouldn't be quite so asymptotic.

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2010, 11:41:32 am »
odd, because me as a player does the same logic checks..

ill see something irreplaceable, and attempt to blow it up.. multiple times with fails, if i must.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2010, 12:57:21 pm »
Normally it does count, iirc.  I'm thinking that currently it's just being overridden by the "this is an irreplaceable structure" logic.  Often this is desirable, but it shouldn't be quite so asymptotic.

This is exactly right.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Jesterman

« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2010, 03:51:59 pm »

This is exactly right.

So is it safe to assume that this might be changed soon?
As it stands, its a total 'gap in wall' situation. it bottlenecks the bottleneck.

Offline Dragon

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2010, 10:08:07 pm »
ok lets put it the other way.

You are a giant galactic empire ruler who currently has a thorn in his side. You decide to attack x planet of this rebel insurgency.

It has a giant gun that kills each of your units with one shot. Destroying this gun will make the planet considerably easy to retake.
It has a bunch of resources, that will do minor indirect damage to the insurgency. They do not decrease defenses, nor anything of import.
It has a command station, which probably is the only thing in the system to provide scout intel, but thats more or less the only thing it does.

Which target do you choose?

Well, if I'm attacking with mark III or IV ships, and their giant gun is a mark I ion cannon, I think I would ignore it.  But the AI doesn't....

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2010, 12:43:46 am »
well, a mk1 ion cannon wouldnt be quite the same

the question would have to become a mk5 ion cannon that costs you nothing to destroy*

*I'm talking opportunity cost here - as in, you could not capture it or reclaim it for resources*

Offline superking

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2010, 08:20:44 am »
shouldnt the command center be higher priority than an ion cannon or mass driver? if the planet is isolated, killing the command center removes supply from most defences, prevents defences being rebuilt and prevents reinforcements from spaceports.

agree w/ AI units should ignore ion cannons of lower mark than themselves.

I dont know much about how this sort of thing is done, but how about only allowing the AI units to attack ion cannons/mass drivers if it can simultanously order x number of units to do so (ie, the minimal number realistically needed to destroy it in timely fashion)

Offline Dragon

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2010, 12:49:18 am »
well, a mk1 ion cannon wouldnt be quite the same

the question would have to become a mk5 ion cannon that costs you nothing to destroy*

*I'm talking opportunity cost here - as in, you could not capture it or reclaim it for resources*

Yes, but the AI treats a mark 1 ion the same as a mark 5.  Even if it is attacking with mark 4 ships, it will go for the mark I ion cannon first, before anything else.  Which is silly for it to do.  If it was attacking with ships that the ion cannon could destroy, I could see it making sense that it targets the ion cannon first.

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2010, 01:30:27 am »
The AI is currently busy with a galaxy wide glitch that screws with its targeting priorities. However, it is currently in the process of upgrading to Unity mk4, and all its resources are diverted to that conversion.

Please document the issue as best as possible so that once resources are available, your query can be resolved.

Thank  you, and have a nice day.
 ;)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2010, 08:54:58 am »
The AI is currently busy with a galaxy wide glitch that screws with its targeting priorities.
Please maintain your present speed and course, and an associate will be along to destroy you shortly.  Thank you :) </sing-song-voice>

Offline vonduus

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2010, 09:37:32 am »
I get a little nervous, when I read this thread. The fact that the ai prioritizes ion cannons is actually something that I rely quite a lot on, I tend to build my whole home defence structure on this fact. So obviously this is one of the things that I hope Keith will not change. Not right now, that is, I have so very little time to play these days, and I'd rather spend this time trying to figure out how to use my new ships and/or outwit the new threats. Next year, perhaps ;)

Btw, I believe the present behavior is a result of some earlier adjustments that succesfully minimized 'dancing' behavior.
If you miss the alert, you die. If you get the alert, you die. Summa summarum: You die. (Kierkegaard on CPAs)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk