Author Topic: Streaming a 7/7 Game Right Now on Twitch! Advice Welcomed!  (Read 3124 times)

Offline Matt Damon

• Newbie Mark II
Streaming a 7/7 Game Right Now on Twitch! Advice Welcomed!
« on: August 22, 2015, 11:06:32 am »
Hi, I consider myself an incredibly newbie player at AI War even with 100 hours into the game.  I just started a new 7/7 game and randomed Vanguard/Peacemaker.  All my settings are on the channel.  If you want to pop in and see how I"m doing or give me any advice I'd totally appreciate it!  I don't normally ever stream so this is pretty new to me, just testing to see if the resolution and framerate is good and all that.  Pop in and say hello!

http://www.twitch.tv/goomashroom

Offline Matt Damon

• Newbie Mark II
Re: Streaming a 7/7 Game Right Now on Twitch! Advice Welcomed!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 01:20:10 pm »
Shameless bump (though not technically a bump because it's still at the top of the list.)  Part 1 has been uploaded in my highlights at http://www.twitch.tv/goomashroom/v/12229371

Starting up part 2 now.  I'm a noob so help is super welcome!  Even if you just pop in and say hi, maybe we can meet eachother and set up a multiplayer game at some point in the future!  Thanks!

Offline Yavaun

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 02:50:59 pm »
Forum seems to be rather empty lately... Well I may check it out later but I'd be more interested in serious attempts at higher difficulties than I can beat myself (learn from the pros) :P What's your strategy/starting design ?

Offline Matt Damon

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 04:14:16 pm »
I'll be completely honest, I have 100 hours logged in this game over the past week.  It's like crack, and I'm still discovering new ships.  You probably won't learn anything from me, this stream is more of a selfish act on my part so that I can get pointers from people who watch me play haha.

As far as my strategy/starting design goes, I'll research a Mark 2 or 3 fleet ship after doing some scouting and seeing what they're throwing at me.  I follow Kahuna's turret guide and use the scout "line" trick to arrange all my turrets so that the tractor beams and turrets all line up at the exact spot (that guide is pure gold), and from there on out I pretty much always go for assault transports and set up offensive beachheads on priority targets like ARS's (obviously), factories, spaceship const's, and then I pick and choose which Controllers or Design Backup Servers would best suit the current game.  So I'm not a TOTAL noob, I have SOME strategy, but I have yet to beat the game on 7/7 all random non-technologist and I'm far too stubborn to lower the difficulty from 7.  I love a challenge and I love losing.  Dwarf Fortress is one of my favorite games if that gives you an idea of how I view "fun".  Currently working on slowing down combat a bit (still leaving combat on normal, not epic), but using formations to position certain ships in front of others, and using certain trash ships as fodder to draw fire away from the big guns.  My biggest problems right now and I guess this is always going to be there is choosing what to destroy, what to take, what to neuter, what to deep strike, that kind of stuff.  It's those high-level strategic decisions that I'm trying to learn now; I've got the basic mechanics down I believe.

Thanks for reading if you've made it this far.  Been fiddling with youtube trying to get it up at 1080p but it's being stubborn and won't go higher than 720p so I'm gonna start streaming again now in about 15 mins.  Would love to set up a multiplayer game if you don't mind giving me some pointers here and there.  I take direction well.  Got raidcall, teamspeak, you name it.  Youtube channel is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAnOLHp6_4w&list=PLRVf7vYOMgXnMgsPwMuOtY-Ym_QbKf_pM

Playing with these settings:

7/7 Vanguard/Peacemaker
Setup Script: None Selected
# Planets: 80
Map Style: Realistic
Campaign Type: Conquest
Map Seed: 1240237058
Expansions: All Expansions Enabled

Available Ships: Complex, All Enabled

Combat Style: Normal
Unit Cap Style: Normal
Performance Profile: Very High (33ms)
Visibility: Extra Fog of War
Enable Cheats: Unchecked
Show Unexplored Planets: Unchecked

Minor Factions to Include:
Human Marauders: 1/10
Human Resistance Fighters: 10/10
Human Colony Rebellions: 4/10
Zenith Traders
Zenith Miners: 2/10
Zenith Dyson Sphere: 3/10
Zenith Devourer
Broken Golems (Easy)
Botnet Golems (Easy)
Neinzul Rocketry Corps: 3/10
Neinzul Preservation Wardens: 3/10
Neinzul Roaming Enclaves: 2/10
Spire Civilian Leaders
Spirecraft (Easy)
Dark Spire: 1/10
Showdown Devices
Nomad Planets: 2/10
Exodian Blade

AI Modifiers: Reveal Random AI Types

Auto AI Progress: 1 every 5 minutes

AI Plots:
First AI:
Astro Trains: 1/10
Beachheads
Counter Posts

Second AI:
Astro Trains: 1/10
Warp Relays
Preemption: 1/10

My Role: Normal
My Handicap: 0%
AI 1 Type: Random All Non-Technologist (Vanguard)
AI 1 Secondary Type: None
AI 2 Type: Random All Non-Technologist (Peacemaker)
AI 2 Secondary Type: None

Starting Planet Connections: 3
Random Planet Bonus Ship: Zenith Mirror

Offline Yavaun

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 04:50:58 pm »
Wow thanks for all the details!

I only almost logged 100 hours over a week myself so far but I play a completely different style so I bet there a lot of knowledge to share. It's different because I play the game in coop mode with my brother and we play it the bruteforce way (1k AI progress is fair) ending a typical game with 50% and more of all planets captured. The current game is against 8 Tank / 7.6 sledgehammer.

Perhaps we can arrange a 3 player match though keep in mind that we're a bad host (low upload) but I'd already be happy if we could exchange tricks and discoveries! Btw do you use the steam version?

PS: could you turn down the BGM next time so you are easier to understand?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 04:54:27 pm by Yavaun »

Offline Matt Damon

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 05:32:18 pm »
Yes, I use the Steam version.  Would love to join you guys.  I just introduced this game to my friend last night and we literally did not sleep last night we couldn't stop playing.  He thinks it's one of the best games he's ever played and it brings him back to his MoO2 days.  He's a real smart/analytical guy too so he's kind of a natural at this game.  We'd love to join you (if not both of us, I'd love to join).  I wouldn't mind hosting either I've got 4.16 Mbps up according to speakeasy.net/speedtest/:

(Download Speed: 17099 kbps (2137.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4162 kbps (520.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

I think one of my problems is being too picky about which planets to take and my friend is my alter-ego telling me to brute-force more and take more planets to get more resources and say f*ck AIP, so between the 2 of us we're somewhere in the middle.  I'm sure he wouldn't mind your way of doing things and I'd probably have to comply with the rest of the group haha.  My name is steam is Matt Damon and my avatar is... well, Matt Damon.  Add me and we can talk about setting up a time to play maybe?  My friend and I are on the west coast in california but we're also night owls so we can do whenever.

MYATT DYAMON!

Offline Yavaun

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 05:51:26 pm »
The thing is there are 150,000 matt damons on steam so instead I'm gonna pm you a link to my profile.  ;)

My brother is the same type as you but I figured meh- AIP generates resources and we should be OK as long as we can effectively spend those resources. So I keep pushing him to conquer more planets!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 05:55:12 pm by Yavaun »

Offline Matt Damon

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 07:12:51 pm »
Invite sent.

Offline Matt Damon

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 12:58:29 am »
PS: could you turn down the BGM next time so you are easier to understand?

Yeah I didn't realize that until 5 minutes into video 6 so I made an annotation..... I might just start all over because it's kind of fun making let's plays anyways.  It's fixed now though.  Hmmm.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk