Author Topic: Statistical Eye Issue  (Read 3972 times)

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
Statistical Eye Issue
« on: October 30, 2012, 01:50:16 pm »
So I just fired up 20 games, and 34 of the AI homeworlds had eyes on them. This detracts from the potential homeworld variety.

I suspect that, for each brutal post, it picks from the 10 options (5 core eyes (if no eye already present), CRE, CPA, Grav, Squid, Pinwheel); this leads each AI HW having a 7/8 eye probability. I think that is too many.

If the logic picked from six options, instead, (Eye (to be selected after brutals are determined) et cetera), there would be a ~42% p(eye).

Thoughts?
If warheads can't solve it, use more warheads.

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
Re: Statistical Eye Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 01:54:56 pm »
Thoughts?
Just use more warheads.
I think AI home worlds should always have an eye. Mordor has an eye too.

Also I though you once said Eyes can be almost completely ignored. You don't even notice the losses when you just dump all ships on an Eye planet and neuter it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 01:56:48 pm by Kahuna »
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 02:09:46 pm »
So I just fired up 20 games, and 34 of the AI homeworlds had eyes on them. This detracts from the potential homeworld variety.

I suspect that, for each brutal post, it picks from the 10 options (5 core eyes (if no eye already present), CRE, CPA, Grav, Squid, Pinwheel); this leads each AI HW having a 7/8 eye probability. I think that is too many.

If the logic picked from six options, instead, (Eye (to be selected after brutals are determined) et cetera), there would be a ~42% p(eye).

Thoughts?

Agreed. One of the choices should be "an Eye of some type" and only choose which eye type after it is determined an eye should be spawned. Equivilently, each eye should have a relative chance 1/5 (or 1/however many eye types there are) the magnitude of the chance for the other brutal posts for spawning.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 02:30:35 pm »
Also I though you once said Eyes can be almost completely ignored. You don't even notice the losses when you just dump all ships on an Eye planet and neuter it.
I don't believe normal Eyes are ignorable, but Core Eyes are immune to Nukes and provide constant system-wide tachyon.

Offline KDR_11k

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 02:44:31 pm »

Well, now we need a "massive sweeping photon lance" eye.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 03:14:08 pm »

Well, now we need a "massive sweeping photon lance" eye.

... This plus Wrathlance ...
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Winge

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 04:08:08 pm »

I totally misread this at first.  My first thought was "how on earth did you get 34 AI Homeworlds in one game?"

Just another reason to run with scissors.  Sorry mom!
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 04:13:11 pm »

I totally misread this at first.  My first thought was "how on earth did you get 34 AI Homeworlds in one game?"

Just another reason to run with scissors.  Sorry mom!
Well, that would just be poetic justice. You choose 16 homeworlds, and both AIs get 16 homeworlds!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 05:07:08 pm »
Well, that would just be poetic justice. You choose 16 homeworlds, and both AIs get 16 homeworlds!
Proportionate response.  It's just homeworlds, all the way down!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!