Author Topic: Rules: Regarding Profanity, Etc.  (Read 75662 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Rules: Regarding Profanity, Etc.
« on: September 16, 2009, 09:20:04 am »
The basic rule is this:  keep it work safe.

I've managed to avoid having to really talk about profanity here for a long while because the community was small and close, but now it's growing at an increasing rate and we need to make sure that everyone feels welcome here.  I'm not interested in clubbing people over the head for slips of the tongue or whatever, but let's just try to keep the language to a level that is PG/PG13. 

Mild Stuff Is Okay
I myself say crap, hell, bloody, etc, for emphasis, and as long as this isn't something that is maliciously directed at someone else I think that's just a part of normal adult speech in most areas, even in mixed company.  Excessive cursing, dropping the f-bomb all over the place, the b-word, the c-word, etc, and things of that nature tend to make a lot more people uncomfortable, however, so let's stay away from that.

Let's Try Not To Offend People
Beyond the issue of cursing itself is the use of slurs, which thankfully has not yet been an issue.  There have been some recent comments that have been reported to moderators, however, that were coming a bit close to slurs -- either they were offensive to women, or people with varying sexual preferences, or they were just plain out using some words that normally one wouldn't want to encounter in polite conversation ("cuddly hug," in particular, seems to offend some -- consider reamed, or decimated, or something else along those lines).  Please don't use those sorts of things, it just makes more work and trouble for me, and/or offends other customers.

Demographics Are Changing
The main demographic here in these forums is presently males between the ages of 20 to 40 or so.  When a group of guys get together, often our speech patterns shift a bit and we make jokes that we would not around our wives or girlfriends, etc -- or our kids (unless they are grown), for that matter.  We're seeing more youngsters and women entering the forums in general, though, and some of Arcen's future titles will be aimed very much at kids (this is a few years off, but still). 

We'll always have titles for hardcore gamers, but that's not all we're interested in making.  So let's keep it as clean and welcoming as reasonable, without putting a lid on things to a degree that people feel uncomfortable expressing themselves.  This isn't Disney or Nintendo, but this isn't a forum for M-rated games, either.  I have a feeling that most of the Arcen titles will be either E or T (on the American ESRB scale), so let's just keep that in mind.

Thanks!

Tone
Important Addendum:  Also, please remember that tone is very poorly conveyed through written mediums like this.  In most cases that have been reported for moderation, I knew enough about the person who made the comment to know that they had been joking or sarcastic, but to an outsider coming in this was not clear.  Does this mean we have to be humorless?  Not at all.  But keeping the innate unclarity of tone in writing in mind may help solve those few issues that have arisen. 

When writing suggestions in to me, it also helps if you keep that in mind -- some suggestions from new forum members (or old regulars, on rarer occasion) come off as overly aggressive, preachy, or demanding to me, which I never appreciate.  Often that's not at all the sense in which the suggestion was made, so I try to put my emotions aside and respond to each suggestion on its merits alone, but this causes me a lot of heartburn when it happens.  It's almost invariably a big misunderstanding, but if more care is taken to make the tone clear (or at least avoid a seemingly snarky tone), that just makes my life a little more pleasant. ;)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 05:00:28 pm by Dominus Arbitrationis »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Haagenti II

Re: Rules: Regarding Profanity, Etc.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 04:46:48 pm »
On an not wholly unrelated note, I always wondered what was wrong with some words, where similar words are allowed in SF shows like Battle Star Galactica (frak!) and Red Dwarf (smeg!)
The other Haagenti, who left his password at work

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
  • More turrets! MORE TURRETS!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 07:17:37 pm »
On an not wholly unrelated note, I always wondered what was wrong with some words, where similar words are allowed in SF shows like Battle Star Galactica (frak!) and Red Dwarf (smeg!)

Don't worry, I use Frak in every day conversation. ;D

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 08:46:12 pm »
I probably can safely assume that so far none of the reported posts to a moderator where actually profanity (what ever the hell that is (yes, that is hopefully flagged as profanity  ;D:D But given that i got one of those too its really.. ehm  ::) problematic.

If its not too big a change, can moderators please start to change posts (to their moderation urges) without sending the originator of a post a pm to do so? (Rather, send the originator a pm with the reason why it was edited).

Given that i am totally for moderation i hope the rules can be made a bit cleaner/sleaker and clear.
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Revenantus

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 08:54:57 pm »
Thus far, none of the posts reported to me have been intentionally offensive/abusive, or included excessive obscene language, or links to such content. Therefore, I have had no interest in forcefully editing the posts without the user's permission because they didn't meet any of my criteria for instant moderation.

Instead, my policy in such cases is to make the poster aware that their post may be considered offensive by some, and give them the opportunity to edit it if they so wish. I will respect their decision either way. The user editing their own post in this way is as much a benefit to themselves as it is everyone else, as it affects how they will be perceived by others.

If it is the case that your post is obviously offensive, abusive, or obscene, it will be automatically edited and locked. I hope that this never happens, and given my experience of the community here I don't expect it to.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 08:58:13 pm »
Thus far, none of the posts reported to me have been intentionally offensive/abusive, or included excessive obscene language, or links to such content. Therefore, I have had no interest in forcefully editing the posts without the user's permission because they didn't meet any of my criteria for instant moderation.

Instead, my policy in such cases is to make the poster aware that their post may be considered offensive by some, and give them the opportunity to edit it if they so wish. I will respect their decision either way. The user editing their own post in this way is as much a benefit to themselves as it is everyone else, as it affects how they will be perceived by others.

If it is the case that your post is obviously offensive, abusive, or obscene, it will be automatically edited and locked. I hope that this never happens, and given my experience of the community here I don't expect it to.

I support this.  We're not looking to have to be censors here, or to completely put on the kid gloves.  Hopefully the community can largely self-regulate based on the general guidelines I put above, and based on the tenor and style of most of the posts around here.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 02:36:26 pm »
Zarking fardwarks!

Offline raptor331

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 05:46:19 pm »
Zarking fardwarks!

My thoughts exactly :-X

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Y PzKpfw Tiger!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 03:50:53 pm »
Has there been a case in which a reader notified anyone of his being offended by any post?
The beatings shall continue
until morale improves!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 04:03:14 pm »
Has there been a case in which a reader notified anyone of his being offended by any post?

Yes, several dozen cases of this.

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Y PzKpfw Tiger!
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 07:32:08 pm »
I'm impressed. What word was the most popular offender?  :P
The beatings shall continue
until morale improves!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 07:44:16 pm »
I'm impressed. What word was the most popular offender?  :P
Hybrid.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 09:24:27 pm »
Starts with r, ends with pe.

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 06:53:13 am »
Starts with r, ends with pe.

rupee? no wait, that's with 2 e's... :P

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 09:25:44 am »
I got a report once about an f-bomb. It wasn't a huge deal, and the reporter was more frustrated by it than offended I'd say.

All in all, this is a pretty good community about that kind of stuff. I've worked for another website where I literally spent 30 hours or so a week just dealing with stuff like that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk