Author Topic: Radar dampening  (Read 2078 times)

Offline Burnstreet

Radar dampening
« on: October 25, 2012, 05:28:20 pm »
I am currently trying to kill the ravenous shadow with my neinzul champion, but somehow the radar dampening does not seem to work the way I thought it would.
afaik the shadow should not be able to attack me when i stay farther away than 10000 distance.

even though I never got near the middle (9000) range circle, the shadow is still attacking me.

This makes it quite less suited for this fight :/

Or am I getting/doing something wrong`?

Offline Volatar

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Patient as a rock
Re: Radar dampening
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 05:30:41 pm »
Does the thing have Radar Dampening under it's immunities?

Offline Burnstreet

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 05:32:16 pm »
No, Radar dampening is not listed there.

I just tested a bit more, it can even shoot me frin the outside of the outer (16000) range circle.

[edit] Ok , Radar dampening seems not to work at all on that champion, even a fortress can shoot it from far outside the 16k circle :([/edit]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 05:52:15 pm by Burnstreet »

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 05:55:40 pm »
Nebula have a mechanic similar to Radar Jammers in addition to the 1/2 speed gravity effect.

RS has an effective range of 10,000 in the encounter. Your effective ranges are also 1/2 of the modules listed range.

The Neinzul hulls aren't really the best choice of champion for the RS encounter since it has the lowest amount of module slots available. Spire or Zenith Cruisers would provide you better DPS (encounter is a "boss fight", you need to burn him down).

Are the fortresses you mention in your edit, Bases from the nebula or Forts in AI space?
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Burnstreet

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 06:06:20 pm »
Ok, that explains the shadow being able to shoot me.
But why can a Fort, outside a nebula, shoot me? No Radar dampener present. see Sentinel Keep in the attached game, better pause after loading or it might be dead before you get there

I have managed to kill the shadow with the Neinzul Cruiser in time already, i was just wondering why it got hurt so much.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 06:20:10 pm »
Ok. Loaded up and RD was working properly. In AI space your ranges are as listed. Your Neinzul hull has guns with 5k range, IIM with 6k range and Missiles with 16k range. If you park between the Missile ring and IIM ring or further out, you won't get pinged by the fort.

Part that sucks is Missiles won't fire off at the fort at stand-off range.
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Burnstreet

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 06:48:15 pm »
AH ok, I was confused and somehow missed the big rangecircle. probably should go to bed :/
thanks

I think they don't fire because it is below a shield guard post and thus isn't auto-targeted.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 06:54:55 pm »
AH ok, I was confused and somehow missed the big rangecircle. probably should go to bed :/
thanks

I think they don't fire because it is below a shield guard post and thus isn't auto-targeted.

Glad I could help. You can't even force the Missiles to fire at stand-off range. Just something that's been bugging me about modules in general :)

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 07:05:45 pm »
Glad I could help. You can't even force the Missiles to fire at stand-off range. Just something that's been bugging me about modules in general :)

Something that bugs me about modules is that even if you zoom in enough such that you can individual select them, you can't give them individual orders. If you could do that, you could work around the "modules will never fire upon stuff that isn't auto-targetable, even if its parent ship has been manually targetted to it" oversight.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 08:27:14 pm »
If you manually target something with the champion the modules should be getting the same attack order.  Do you have a save where this doesn't happen?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 09:19:10 pm »
If you manually target something with the champion the modules should be getting the same attack order.  Do you have a save where this doesn't happen?

As far as I can tell, that happens as it is supposed to. If you look at the SS I posted, I'm in missile range of the Fortress. It would be nice if I could force them to fire on the fort without the champion having to be in main gun range. To use the radar dampening to my advantage. Otherwise, the champ still has to be at 5k range and tanks flame waves with its face (like a boss).

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 09:42:52 am »
As far as I can tell, that happens as it is supposed to. If you look at the SS I posted, I'm in missile range of the Fortress. It would be nice if I could force them to fire on the fort without the champion having to be in main gun range.
Hmm, it should work fine if you:

1) Get in range where the missile modules can fire.
2) Give the champion a direct attack order against the target.
3) Without holding shift, give the champion a move order to a spot right next to its current location (but still in missile range of the target).

The move order shouldn't clear the module's target, so it should fire.

With anything except a direct-target-only target, step 1 is all you need :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Burnstreet

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 03:46:38 pm »
As it seems step 3 clears the order for the modules, at least for direct-target-onlys. In the save I attached earlier, after moving out of dampening range it stopped firing on the Fortress/ Guard post and cloaked while still in missile range.

It would be nice to have a radar dampening range ring (maybe green), especially for the champion.

Offline Volatar

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Patient as a rock
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 03:51:34 pm »
You have to unpause after giving the attack order, give it a fraction of a second to start moving, THEN give it the third-step move order.

I have all my FS ships in my current game pretty heavy on Railguns, and I fight Sentinels, so I do this a lot.

Offline orzelek

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 06:11:26 pm »
How difficult would be to actually fix this and allow modules to:
1. Have separate targeting to account for greater range.
2. Be able to keep owner uncloaked if it can shoot something.

I'm assuming that stand down mode would still work for them to stop shooting.

Solutions given here sound... painful. For few times they would be ok.. but not much more.

Unless it's not really desired that currently you can shoot further with missiles than dampening range on champion. It sounds a bit OP potentially - especially after stationaries.