Author Topic: Question regarding planetary visuals  (Read 720 times)

Offline DrGonzo

Question regarding planetary visuals
« on: September 04, 2012, 01:19:27 pm »
Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death and I'm somehow necromancing it-- even with the search function it is difficult to catch up with the amount of lore produced by forums.

I seem to recall when I was playing a year or so back that the zoom and pan had a far greater effect on magnification of background objects- specifically planets. As you zoomed in you got more of a feeling that your objects and ships were in planetary space [as the planet got quite large]. The area seemed bigger somehow and areas seemed less the same. Has this been consciously changed or have I just not searched far and wide enough on newer versions for such a background effect?

I know it's totally irrelevant to the substance of the game, but I did notice it missing. Everything just felt more flat without it-- odd as that sounds in a game such as this.

Is there a setting?  :'(

Thanks

Offline doctorfrog

Re: Question regarding planetary visuals
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 01:34:32 pm »
What happened is that as Chris added more variety of nebular effects, he shrank the size of planets to compensate. The planets will still parallax as you zoom in and out though. This is probably the effect that made you think the planet was getting bigger. There is no way that I'm aware of to revert this, as the old planet graphics are incompatible with the new ones.

Offline KDR_11k

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 01:47:00 pm »
I don't even remember the planets zooming. They're so far away from the battlefield that moving the camera closer or away doesn't do anything.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 11:52:24 pm »
... he shrank the size of planets to compensate. The planets will still parallax as you zoom in and out though. This is probably the effect that made you think the planet was getting bigger.

Good to know.

I know it's utterly trivial and you have probably a million other things to do, but if there was ever an option for a planet scale slider in the display options... It felt a lot more like you were moving through a "Z" plane as you got closer to your units.

Awesome game, enjoying it thoroughly-- shame it took so long to reach it in queue.