Author Topic: Prerelease 1.006A now available (now with graphs!).  (Read 5807 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Prerelease 1.006A now available (now with graphs!).
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 10:15:50 am »
8. Split side panel into categories: Starfighters, ships, economy, construction. Something like that. Make it easier to find stuff.

It already puts the smaller military stuff at the top, then the economic stuff, then the larger-icon stuff (generally starships, etc).  I can't make visible category delimiters simply for reasons of space, though -- you can have really a ton of icons there late into a large game (four or more columns in extreme cases).

You know, in looking at this one more, it's not doing that as well as I had thought.  I'll make some improvements here, and then we'll see what you think.  Will be out in today's version (along with a bunch of other stuff).
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 11:28:14 am »
12. Free roaming engineers were returning to position without having repaired a nearby cruiser with no engine.

I think this is something on my list, but let me confirm:  basically, if a ship has engine damage but is full up on hull health, engineers are not currently targeting them for repairs.  Is that what you were seeing?  That's on my list to be fixed, but let me know if there's more to it with what you are seeing.

Actually, looks like I had already fixed that issue sometime in 1.005 -- I had forgotten about that.  Seems to be working okay, except perhaps that if the cruiser had just recently been shot (within the last 3 seconds), the engineer will ignore it because it can't repair stuff that is actively being shot.  As soon as the cruiser stops being shot, the engineer would return to repair it.  Let me know if this doesn't seem to be what you saw.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Quitch

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 02:26:54 pm »
Quote from: x4000
Hmm, I can read it on my monitor, but I can see where it might be troublesome on many.  I'll look at doing a replacement for this color.

Most monitors ship in too bright a configuration so it might not be so much an issue for most.

As in, make it always scroll faster, but hold shift to go slower?  Are you talking about panning or zooming or both?  Added to my list under the assumption you mean both.

I was thinking zooming, but my ideal solution would be speed sliders in settings.

Those haven't actually been captured by you, I don't think -- they are just enemy train stations in your territory.  Any enemy ships in your territory are probably something you want to destroy, if you can.  Train stations are never something to keep around.

Owned through parasite. Astral train arrives and bumps the shield while firing on it.

That's already there... When you hover over an enemy ship while your ships are selected, it shows you both how much damage your ships will do (a range of damages, if there are multiple types selected), plus it shows you the lowest hit chance out of all the ships you have selected.  Did you mean something else in addition to this?

I meant rather that when you mouse over one of your units it tells you its chance to hit its current target.

think this is something on my list, but let me confirm:  basically, if a ship has engine damage but is full up on hull health, engineers are not currently targeting them for repairs.  Is that what you were seeing?  That's on my list to be fixed, but let me know if there's more to it with what you are seeing.

From what I recall the cruiser had been crippled some time ago and my fleet had moved on without it. I looked for an engineer and saw one in free roam, but it wasn't going to fix the cruiser its destination was back to its starting point. It wasn't until I cancelled the move and put it back in free roam that it spotted and fixed the cruiser.

I'm not sure what you mean by "V on the galaxy map."

Another tech level indicator by the planet.

While I understand you don't want to add infinite shortcuts, some kind of objective indicator would be handy, such as a P next to primary objective planets and an S for secondary. While I plan local assaults, this would help me know which direction I should be planning my assaults to head in, without having to mouse over fifty planets. My scouting runs well ahead of my advance.

You know, I never played sword of the stars.  Can you describe what you are looking for in general?

You choose to add a note to a planet and it allows you to type in an entry "This is where the enemy were headed before they fell of radar, don't forget!" so you can remember where you were between save games. The note disappears once saved and is replaced by a blinking icon next to the planet. Clicking on it reveals the note.

Another thing I forget to mention: add a date stamp next to save game entries.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 02:29:08 pm by Quitch »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 02:56:32 pm »
Most monitors ship in too bright a configuration so it might not be so much an issue for most.

Either way, I've swapped it out in the next version -- it's a bright orange, instead,

I was thinking zooming, but my ideal solution would be speed sliders in settings.

Oh... yeah, that makes sense (now that I've coded it out the other way for this next release, ha).  I'll look at doing speed sliders.  I think a lot of people will like that for both pan and zoom (two separate controls).

Owned through parasite. Astral train arrives and bumps the shield while firing on it.

Oh, I see.  Yeah, I'll change it so that parasites can no longer capture astro train stations.  There's no point to it.  Thanks!

That's already there... When you hover over an enemy ship while your ships are selected, it shows you both how much damage your ships will do (a range of damages, if there are multiple types selected), plus it shows you the lowest hit chance out of all the ships you have selected.  Did you mean something else in addition to this?

I meant rather that when you mouse over one of your units it tells you its chance to hit its current target.

Ohhh, I see, that makes sense.  I'm not super fond of the idea of just doing that on mouseover, though -- seems like it would be a pain to check ranges on a bunch of your guys at once.  I think I'm going to make a hotkey that will basically let you see range and damage dealt for ships with targets while this is held.  I think that will give you the information you want, just moreso. :)

From what I recall the cruiser had been crippled some time ago and my fleet had moved on without it. I looked for an engineer and saw one in free roam, but it wasn't going to fix the cruiser its destination was back to its starting point. It wasn't until I cancelled the move and put it back in free roam that it spotted and fixed the cruiser.

Oh, okay -- if the engineer went after him later, after you reassigned him, then that means that he was probably chasing down another ship to try to repair it (perhaps one that had been closer, but which was now further away).  I took another pass through some of this code, and everything seems to be as expected here.  Let me know if you see this again, but I think it was probably just chasing down a faster ship that was far away.  Given how you were able to retarget it, clearly it would have come back for the damaged cruiser eventually.

I'm not sure what you mean by "V on the galaxy map."

Another tech level indicator by the planet.

Oh, okay -- gotcha.  Yeah, I'll make it so that the home planets will show up as tech V in the galaxy map.  I'm intentionally leaving the "core" AI plants (those that border the home planets of the AI) as tech IV, though -- I don't want to make it too easy for people to just spot that they are getting near the AI home planets without actually looking at the intel summary.

While I understand you don't want to add infinite shortcuts, some kind of objective indicator would be handy, such as a P next to primary objective planets and an S for secondary. While I plan local assaults, this would help me know which direction I should be planning my assaults to head in, without having to mouse over fifty planets. My scouting runs well ahead of my advance.

This is the whole point of the priority levels, and it gives you a lot more flexibility and precision than just P or S.  The game is intentionally not auto-guiding you to targets, so that you can make your own choices.  I may have linked this already, but here's a suggested approach to handling priority-setting so that you have a minimal amount of work, no rework, etc:  http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=AI_War_-_Galaxy_Map_Priority_Buttons  Let me know what you think, but I'm not enthused at all about automating this aspect of the game, just because I think it would kill some of the decision points and exploratory feel for players.

You choose to add a note to a planet and it allows you to type in an entry "This is where the enemy were headed before they fell of radar, don't forget!" so you can remember where you were between save games. The note disappears once saved and is replaced by a blinking icon next to the planet. Clicking on it reveals the note.

Awesome, I love it!  Added to my list.

Another thing I forget to mention: add a date stamp next to save game entries.

For the purpose sorting, or just for extra info while looking at it?  Is this for when you are making a save, or loading a past savegame?  Maybe I'll add a toggle that says something like "show date info," and/or another one that says something like "sort by date."  What do you think?

Offline Quitch

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 03:17:24 pm »
So that if I have multiple saves I have a vague idea of which is which, the first situation which comes to mind is checking whether I saved on quit or should use the autosave.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2009, 03:19:37 pm »
I gotcha.  Okay, I'll add the toggles there soon, and that should cover it.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2009, 03:27:06 pm »
A bunch of this stuff is in the new prerelease:  http://arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,89.0.html

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2009, 09:27:21 am »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk