Poll

What most needs a buff?

Anti-Armor
1 (0.7%)
Astro Train
7 (5.2%)
Champion Drone Bays (Bomber, Inteceptor, Slicer)
13 (9.7%)
Counter Dark Matter Turret
8 (6%)
Decoy Drone
3 (2.2%)
Deflector Drone
3 (2.2%)
Etherjet Tractor
4 (3%)
Flagships
2 (1.5%)
Hardened forcefields
7 (5.2%)
Infiltrator
15 (11.2%)
Raider
5 (3.7%)
SF Guard Post combat capabilities
3 (2.2%)
Special Forces Rally Guardian
3 (2.2%)
Spire Gravity Ripper
2 (1.5%)
Spire Teleporting Leeches
1 (0.7%)
Superfortress
14 (10.4%)
Tachyon Drone
6 (4.5%)
Teleport raiders
16 (11.9%)
Translocator
1 (0.7%)
Wormhole Guard Posts
4 (3%)
Zenith Power Generator
13 (9.7%)
Zenith Reprocessor
3 (2.2%)
None of these need a buff! (don't use your other votes, will count by head instead of vote)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Poll: Worst Unit Of The (time interval) Award (VIII)  (Read 12704 times)

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
Re: Poll: Worst Unit Of The (time interval) Award (VIII)
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2012, 10:52:36 am »
BTW, any luck so far on finding out why the infiltrator has flare ammo instead of dark matter ammo? As you (Keith) implied, it seemed like the intention was for it to have dark matter ammo.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2012, 11:16:51 am »
If they have Flare ammo, it is probably say to just change that to Nightmare ammo, since that is going to hurt.  Maybe if cloaking doesn't work out for them, they could get radar dampening instead.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2012, 11:27:12 am »
I've changed it to dark matter ammo in my copy.  There was just some confusion in the enum name for the former ammo type (NegativeEnergyFlare vs NegativeEnergy).

I did think of radar dampening instead, but honestly the name "infiltrator" just kept not sitting right in my head next to "not cloaking".  I mean, really?

I guess I could just rename it to "Knifefighter" or something like that and give it the radar dampening, but let's see how this goes.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2012, 11:37:44 am »
I guess I could just rename it to "Knifefighter" or something like that and give it the radar dampening, but let's see how this goes.

Relevant

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
  • If you're not drunk you're doing it wrong.
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2012, 02:43:44 pm »
I'm going to semi-support my 3 AM rambling... or at least explain the theory behind it.

I have a few concerns with adjustments to older ships particularly right after a new expansion has come out.  I understand the concerns of power creep, but at the same time it's very difficult to judge the resultant creep of the new expansion if the older, established ships are being adjusted.  Particularly trying to adjust for all the new ships when a single game usually takes in the 10-13 hour region.  That's really a campaign every week or two at best.  Even if you went ARS happy the best you could experiment with all the new ships in is two campaigns.

Now throw in champs in normal space.

If the baseline keeps moving we become less able to determine how to un-creep the new units.

Another concern of mine is that I LIKE some power disparity between the ships.  I want to look at the AI at 200 AIP and go: "oh, WHEW!  He only got x!" or "Oh, CRAP!  He got Y!!!!"

A weaker ship is annoying in the hands of a player, but I'm hoping everyone keeps in mind that these adjustments to ships affect the AI as well.  We can choose to avoid some (or even the majority) of ships out there, particularly with the new hacking mechanics.  The AI can't, and I like that sometimes. 

Sometimes I just want to shoot grunts, not continuous packs of elites.  Or at least mix in some grunts.

Finally, not all of us have caught up with the expansion yet.  Many of you played heavily through the Beta, and I applaud that.  I still don't even know what a Nebula looks like, never mind played through a full game with Champs.  I'm sure there are many others like me out there who are still trying to get a handle on all the new toys and mechanics.  The answer to this, of course, is don't update the Betas, I realize that.  But you miss a lot of other stuff if you proceed that way.

So perhaps calling for a complete cessation of modifications was a bit overkill, but these are my concerns with continuous overhauls right now.
... and then we'll have cake.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2012, 02:55:22 pm »
To be fair, teleport raiders have been inferior to teleporting battelstations since...forever.  Never mind that they had a different "role" they were simply inferior.  And infiltrators....same deal.  They only ship they were actually better than was space planes.

And then space planes got the Worst Unit of Time Interval award.

Offline KDR_11k

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2012, 03:03:24 pm »
I liked space planes for their dirt cheap DPS back in the day, swarms of those things could do nasty things and even if they died you could just replace a whole cap in an instant.