Author Topic: Nominations for target of the Nerfbat of Damocles (II)  (Read 9282 times)

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
Re: Nominations for target of the Nerfbat of Damocles (II)
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2012, 11:23:13 pm »
Personally I think the entire list of Spirecraft could use a rework or a looking at.

Half of them seem unbelievably good while the other have either extremely situational or just useless.

I'd like to see interesting ways of dealing damage (I think the Attritioner and Martyrs are hilarious design), and less, but more individually effective "support" ships.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2012, 12:31:42 am »
Indeed.  Most spirecraft I don't even bother with.

Siege tower?  To weak (HP) to use on defense, except under force fields.  Too slow to use on offense.
Attritioner?  Hilarious in numbers.  But only in vast quantity.  Individually they're almost worthless.
Scout?  Only need mark 1s (and even then only two of them), and I can scout the universe.
Shield Bearers?  Only if I can't make attritioners.
Implosion?  Maybe a few.  If I have golems/spirecraft exowaves.  And even then, generally only on defense.
Penetrator?  Rarely worth it, as they will never survive to hit a second target.
Jumpship?  Never used it.  The low capacity and limited distance means I haven't figured out how to use it yet.

Offline LordSloth

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2012, 01:18:41 am »
If gravity units come up for a vote, can someone confirm this for me: EMPs do not turn off gravity. I might have encountered this with Zenith Paralyzers and a Gravity Drain patrol recently, but I do know EMPs do not disrupt Gravity Drills.

It would be an interesting tradeoff to hit a gravity drill with an EMP, or take it out of supply to circumvent an annoying system.

That said, I seem to vaguely remember some old patch note giving a good reason why gravity doesn't just turn off... it would have been an old one, though.

Really, I should just get a good night's sleep and actually test this out to see if i'm not being confused by fatigue.

If I am actually remembering how things work vesrus how I expected them to work, hitting a system with starships and an emp might let you slip by a gravity guardian and take out a key target in an interesting tradeoff. Something you could achieve other ways, of course (cloaker?) but it would be nice to have that.

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2012, 04:13:00 am »
Tackle Drone Launcher (Still retardedly OP)
All gravity things
Special Forces and Core Reserve respawn rate
Spire Railcluster
Spire Blade
Zombard
Heavy Beam Cannon
Spire Maw
Spirecraft Martyr
Spirecraft Scout
Spirecraft Jumpship
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 05:57:46 am by Kahuna »
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline rabican

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2012, 04:40:23 am »
Tackle Drone Launcher (Still retardedly OP)
All gravity things. Especially when used by the AIs player
Special Forces and Core Reserve respawn rate
Spire Railcluster
Spire Blade
Zombard
Heavy Beam Cannon
Spire Maw
Spirecraft Martyr
Spirecraft Scout
Spirecraft Jumpship

fixed :)

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2012, 05:13:00 pm »
*Nomination: AI Zenith bombards

Seriously. The AI uses them far too well.
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Avenger? I hardly know 'er!
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2012, 05:15:46 pm »
Yes, AI Bombards. Also the Hive Golem; a full one can take out thousands of ships singlehandedly.
I can already tell this is going to be a roller coaster ride of disappointment.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2012, 05:33:32 pm »
*Nomination: AI Zenith bombards

Seriously. The AI uses them far too well.

Although I do think they could use a nerf overall (for both human and AI hand), their extreme usefulness in AI waves due to absurdly strong alpha strike means that they may be a good candidate for a <1 multiplier in count for AI waves. (called the UsefulnessInAIWaves multiplier)

Not sure if there is a similar mechanic for defenses, or of it is even needed for zombards.
There may be a need for some type of per ship-type multiplier for special forces as well, as many ships can get disproportionately useful when used for dynamic defense. Though I do think the special forces accumulation rate needs a nerf too.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 05:38:17 pm by TechSY730 »

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2012, 05:57:37 pm »
Also the Hive Golem; a full one can take out thousands of ships singlehandedly.
Or be wiped out without killing a single ship, if there is Gravity involved.

And on the Homeworlds these days, the place where you'd really want to use the Hive Golem, there's the Core Gravity Reactor Post and the Wrath Lance - both of which make short work of your wasps.
Seriously.  I tried a Hive Bomb on a HW (Diff 7) and it killed NOTHING.  Not even 1 ship.  The Grav and the Lance wiped them out in seconds.

Offline KDR_11k

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2012, 06:09:07 pm »
I guess this is intended but when the Camouflager AI parks a cloaked gravity drain on your planets it's NASTY.

Offline Atomikkrab

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2012, 01:30:11 am »
 >:( I see people trying to nerf the heavy bro turret. WHAT HAS IT EVER DONE TO YOU OTHER THAN SLAUGHTER WAVES OF THE ENEMY ON ITS OWN?

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2012, 02:02:48 am »
I do think the ai bombards could use a nerf, but not in stats but in their "ai cost".

On offense, their alpha is fiercesome. If you survived it, you would think they would be easy to counterattack but...

their real annoyance is that the ai on average is much better at auto kiting (maybe with intense player micro players can do better manual kiting, but the ai is pretty darn good at kiting many units at once), and with bombards it results in frequent bouts where
dozens of bombards are separating making any pursuit an annoying and timely process.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 02:04:21 am by chemical_art »
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2012, 02:41:28 am »
Really weird thing I noticed - Military command stations do an excellent job at pushing bombards out to their optimal range.

I mean its a really odd edge case that I dont really expect any change is required for, its just something I noticed in my last game
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2012, 11:43:52 am »
Polls are up now :)

Player-side

AI-side
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!