Author Topic: Multi - planet control groups  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
  • If you're not drunk you're doing it wrong.
Multi - planet control groups
« on: November 26, 2012, 12:19:19 am »
Hey all.

I've been playing around with the new cntrl group feature, primarily to keep my rebuilders from rebuilding while enemies are on satellite planets.  However, I'm having a bit of trouble adding in Rebuilders on two different planets into the same control group.  Any hints?
... and then we'll have cake.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
Re: Multi - planet control groups
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 01:04:41 am »
With default keybindings, ctrl+shift+NUM will add the currently selected units to control group NUM, without overriding what was already there.

A similar trick can be done with crtrl+alt+NUM, which will remove the units from that group without altering unselected units.

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 01:11:07 am »
Yeah, I tried that, but it doesn't seem to work with rebuilders when you've got one in the group off-planet.  It overrides to only the locals, so you can't add to a group that's off planet.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 09:57:40 am »
I'm pretty sure you can't.  Although control groups can span systems, selections can't and I think the add-to-control-group shortcut has issues with that.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 11:47:33 am »
From my experiences, add to control group can add to things even if everything else in that control group is off planet. Or it did last time I tried. Something may have broke since then.

Oh, the new control group feature? You mean the one in the controls panel?

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 01:41:12 pm »
From my experiences, add to control group can add to things even if everything else in that control group is off planet. Or it did last time I tried. Something may have broke since then.

Oh, the new control group feature? You mean the one in the controls panel?

I'm trying to use the new control group feature but to do it I need to be able to add units to a group on multiple planets.  Scenario: I've got satellite worlds that keep dying to threatfleet, even with Warp-Blocker stations.  I'm trying to hide a rebuilder off in a corner until the enemy leaves, but Auto-FRD my engineers most of the time.  So, I setup a control group to stick the rebuilders into that never auto-FRDs and they hide in a corner.  The problem is I can't set multiple Rebuilders to the same control group unless they all start on a single planet and then I 'ship' them out to the different locations.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 01:47:39 pm »
Scenario: I've got satellite worlds that keep dying to threatfleet, even with Warp-Blocker stations.  I'm trying to hide a rebuilder off in a corner until the enemy leaves

Yep, those threat-fleet guys will nail your nice, squishy satillite worlds. What, even if you cut off it's direct methods to get to it with the Warp-Jammer stations, you didn't think the AI would just roll over and make it easy for you did you? ;)
To be fair, the old, normal threat would have a decent chance of showing similar behavior.

The way I get around it is to always keep one remains rebuilder on each of my satellite worlds on stand-down mode, and then when I feel it is safe to rebuild, power it back up, let it rebuild the command station, then once that starts, put it right back into stand-down mode. The additional auto-rebuilt remains rebuilders after that station is complete will take care of the rest of the remains after that.

So, I setup a control group to stick the rebuilders into that never auto-FRDs and they hide in a corner.  The problem is I can't set multiple Rebuilders to the same control group unless they all start on a single planet and then I 'ship' them out to the different locations.

Hmm, you may have discovered a bug with the "add to control group" command, possibly when it interacts with the control group options.
Mantis?