Author Topic: Missing the point?  (Read 10096 times)

Offline Robyn

Missing the point?
« on: October 20, 2015, 05:57:04 am »
Hiya,

Given the amount of unit types and stats/traits to compare and the interesting arrangement of defences on AI world's, why can I do everything I need to with assault transports?

Am I missing a downside to them? I used to check stats of units I was building and facing before going into a battle. Now the only important number is ship cap for me.

Are there any plan's to remove the Assault transport? Or perhaps just remove the weapons and rename it cloaked transport?

It seems a shame to turn a game with obvious depth into a one unit trumps all.

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
Re: Missing the point?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 06:22:36 am »
Assault Transports are [EDIT: a bit] overpowered. They need to have their weapons removed or nerfed and health reduced.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 03:22:51 pm by Kahuna »
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline Robyn

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 11:51:07 am »
Has there been any word from the Devs (was it Chris? It's been a while). How long have they been this powerful?

I was on the path to winning my first game but had to stop because it just felt like such an empty victory. The game is far too easy just now.

Anyway thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one thinking it should be changed.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 12:31:32 pm »
Generally right now, the word is 'Chris/Keith is busy working on Starward Rogue & Stars Beyond Reach'. But I'm pretty sure they know abotu them at least, or someone has stuck it on mantis.

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 01:16:54 pm »
Is the AT's weapons that make it so powerful for you or what? I know AT has a lot of firepower although I rarely use it myself. Anyway before AT is nerfed you can increase the difficulty level.
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline Robyn

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 02:59:25 pm »
It's the combination of massive firepower (seems to be stronger than the units inside) and its extremely tough. I haven't found anything it struggles against. They can take out fortresses easily for example. Ions no problem. Mlrs and missle posts. Np. And they tear through shields. Eyes are no longer a problem because, despite having say 1000 ships of firepower it only counts as 5 units. They are quick so when they get low just jump back home and they self repair. They are also cloaked making hit and run simple.

They have no armour so don't suffer from armour inhibitors. I think it's the scout hull that actually makes them so tough. Basically nothing is good at taking them out.

They are dirt cheap and can be unlocked from the beginning. And the icing on the cake? If you do happen to lose one all 200 of your units pop out with full health. Put all that together and you have a unit that does everything you need it to with no drawbacks.

It can all be easily fixed though by removing the gun and renaming it cloaked transport. It would still be useful at its current cost.

Oh yeah it's also the best way to scout. Load it with scouts and you can get a 4 or 5 jump headstart before it pops.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 03:10:59 pm »
Oh yeah it's also the best way to scout. Load it with scouts and you can get a 4 or 5 jump headstart before it pops.
Though the rest is true, this I'll disagree with. Mk IV Scout Starships are the best way to scout since one of them can do every planet in a 120 planet galaxy by the ten minute mark.

Offline Robyn

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 03:16:17 pm »
Ah yea I should have said early scout!  :D

Edit: wait I misread that. 10 minute mark? Really?! Wow that I have to try.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 03:17:58 pm by Robyn »

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 03:41:34 pm »
Ah yea I should have said early scout!  :D

Edit: wait I misread that. 10 minute mark? Really?! Wow that I have to try.
I'm exaggerating only slightly. You need to build them first after all.

Offline Robyn

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 04:26:57 pm »
Only slightly?  :P

Still. Chris I know you are busy and a little burned out, but when you (or Keith if you are working on it) come back around to AI War I think the game would really benefit from some attention here.

I might try and mod out the ability to fire and see how it goes.

Edit: https://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,17425.0.html

Nevermind!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 04:30:25 pm by Robyn »

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 04:30:37 pm »

Still. Chris I know you are busy and a little burned out, but when you (or Keith if you are working on it) come back around to AI War I think the game would really benefit from some attention here.

Red.Queen beat you to it  ;)

Offline Nikolai01

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 09:31:09 am »
If you want to have an easy way out of this, just set a rule for yourself that assault transports never leave stand-down mode, no matter the situation.  Gun is removed, problem solved!

Edit: https://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,17425.0.html

Nevermind!

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 09:59:36 am »
If you want to have an easy way out of this, just set a rule for yourself that assault transports never leave stand-down mode, no matter the situation.  Gun is removed, problem solved!
I just never use Assault Transports. This is like a player-enforced Nethack's conduct.

Though the rest is true, this I'll disagree with. Mk IV Scout Starships are the best way to scout since one of them can do every planet in a 120 planet galaxy by the ten minute mark.
Hm. I never unlocked even MkII scout starships (neither cloakers). 5,750 K for fully scouted map? I dunno; if I just want to have the whole galaxy scouted, I would play with partial fog of war, right? Or maybe the partial fog of war shows also the ships in every planets? But isn't it the "no fog of war" setting? I never use them, so I can't tell. Anyway, is this worth? Near 6,000 K for full scout? Who use them? Is that really interesting? Tell me, please.
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline legionof1

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 11:27:48 pm »
A full recon in the first stage of the game is useful i suppose for those that play a realism style of game. If your playing with full fog, random ai types, and some nasty options enabled having full strategic info does have its advantage and is cost effective in my mind because you can learn where you can tailor your gameplay to be more efficient. I suppose its something like do i still want the chance to be surprised during play but have the planning info of no fog.

Offline Nikolai01

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 10:57:31 am »

I just never use Assault Transports. This is like a player-enforced Nethack's conduct.

Ah, that brings me back.  Abuseless, no wraith-baiting, no genocide YAAP etc.

In my current game it does seem to me that Assault Transports are leading to increased cheese.  I don't tend to use their guns too heavily, but I am definitely finding myself using them for cheesy guerrilla hit-and-runs,  where my ships pop out, do damage, and hide back in the cloaked transport before the cavalry arrives.  I feel a bit dirty about it (though I'm going to just try and blame the Overreactive AI for causing me to act this way.  Yeah.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk