Author Topic: Maybe this should be in the AAR section, but...  (Read 8861 times)

Offline RockyBst

• Full Member Mark III
Maybe this should be in the AAR section, but...
« on: November 28, 2015, 08:45:52 am »
About a year back when Destroyer of Worlds was released, I did an LP of AI War. Now it's finally wended its way through editing and the release schedule, and is live on the LP Archive:

http://lparchive.org/AI-War-Fleet-Command/

Starts off a bit slow and orientated around new/returning players, but rapidly turns into a lovely fight against some mimes that ends up with me ramming nomad one into an AI homeworld and taking down an avenger in about 15 seconds. Enjoy.

(p.s. if you saw a minor spike in your sales figures last August, well ...)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Maybe this should be in the AAR section, but...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 08:52:33 am »
Wonderful! Thank you, I look forward to reading through that  :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 12:45:18 pm »
AI War there? Awesome, I'll take a look at it later.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 10:50:07 am »
That was a great read, many thanks. Bravo especially on the nomad play, and surviving it. I also loved the part where the ST got away from you. AIW really is a special game.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TelcontarVI

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 05:26:36 pm »
Cant stop reading it until the End. Fantastic work! Awesome Game!

Offline NickAragua

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 10:37:56 am »
Yeah, I waded through that one pretty quickly. Awesome writeup. Makes me want to try to plow through the game once more. Now I just need to find another 40 free hours somewhere.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 10:25:08 pm »
While certainly not easy,  bankrupting the AI of its strategic reserve is always a delightful method of destruction.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Aiviru

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 02:46:15 pm »
Yes, hi ;)

I read the LP on the archive and was fascinated. As it happened, it was in the middle of a Steam sale. Easiest purchase decision I've had in a while.

I worked through the tutorial and started a game with most of the fiddly bits off (except the champion. I was considering the Fallen Spire stuff because it intrigues me and I'm greedy, but I decided I'd best not be that greedy yet).

I've already managed my first loss too. Had the fleet at a planet I suspected would be hit in the CPA, when a wave hit. Pulled back the fleet, and promptly the CPA went for the now no longer so well-protected planet. Before I got my act together (because wild flailing ensued) the invaders had vanished, and a few moments later I 'found' them, when my Home Command blew up. As they say, experience is that thing where you understand what to do moments after you needed it ;)

Even if I never play again (though I intend to play again), I've got my money's worth just from the wonderful music, and from hours trawling the wiki and the blog, because all that stuff, from gameplay hints to design decisions, is just super interesting. I want to read more lore, but I'm trying to be good and reading the lore when I get to it in-game.

So yeah, thanks RockyBst.

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 10:42:26 am »
Wow! Great stuff!
Thanks for creating this :).
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline tadrinth

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 01:50:22 pm »
Finally getting around to reading this.

Other tactics that have worked in the past are choosing an X-map and turtling up behind a massive checkpoint, exploiting Martyrs and lightning missiles so hard that they got redesigned, and adding as much positive cheese in the lobby as physically possible.

Oh my god, that's referring to my Limburger AAR, isn't it? I can't decide if being known for that counts as fame or infamy. 

Great read so far, as usual for your AARs. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk