Author Topic: Love AI War and/or Tidalis? We could really use your help...  (Read 118988 times)

TheMachineIsSentient

Re: Love AI War and/or Tidalis? We could really use your help...
« Reply #225 on: September 25, 2010, 11:19:00 pm »
A few more ideas for the pile:

* AI War, collectors edition
* design a ship contest
* community day
* put the soundtrack for both games on Napster
* woo the Linux crowd by getting reviewers on Linux sites ( after unity release, and maybe before for Tidalis)

Offline Spikey00

• Lord of just 5 Colony Ships
  • Master Member Mark II
  • And he sayeth to sea worm, thou shalt wriggle
« Reply #226 on: September 26, 2010, 09:33:38 pm »
Chris should pen a novel about AI War for extra moneys.  </joke>

I'm sure we would love that, though!
I'd take a sea worm any time over a hundred emotionless spinning carriers.
irc.appliedirc.com / #aiwar
AI War Facebook
AI War Steam Group

Offline Otagan

« Reply #227 on: September 27, 2010, 12:52:17 pm »
Chris should pen a novel about AI War for extra moneys.  </joke>

That worked out really well for Brad Wardell.

Offline Rustayne

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #228 on: September 29, 2010, 02:28:19 am »
I am not sure if this has been mentioned or not, (16 pages is alot of information for me to keep stored in my head), but I noticed on the Unity's website, the engine that Tidalis is made from, that it isn't listed in the game list on their site.  This might be an oversight, or something, but I'd imagine that it might be a way to get your name out there a little bit more.  If developers, or novices that are looking into engines to help them create a game, they could stumble among Tidalis and might make a few sales that way.  Figured I'd throw the suggestion out there.  You could also do this once AI War is up and running with Unity as well.

Offline vonduus

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #229 on: October 03, 2010, 05:16:38 pm »
I had a long discussion with my son about gaming in general, and we also talked about arcens financial problems. This is in essence what he said:

Starcraft II is out now, so a lot of people are focused on the space game genre - even if the game play is not in space proper, the lore is very spacey, and the campaign interface is full of pretty graphics depicting planets and space ships. Anyway, those people have no time for AIWar for the time being, they are too busy playing Starcraft II. Blizzard is one of those pr-driven companies, so they know all about for how long a game is interesting, and they probably have a pretty exact idea of when it begins to get boring to normal customers. And so they are timing the release of Diablo II, so that this somewhat coincides with the beginning of inevitable customer boredom.

What arcen should do, is checking up on when Diablo II is bound for release, and then do a new relase or a discount sale of AIWar, one or two or three weeks before that. At that time a lot of people will be very favourably disposed towards games with a space theme, while at the same time looking for something to play, while they are waiting for Diablo II to be released, and some of them would probably buy AIWar.

I don't know if he is right in this analysis, but it is worth thinking about. Probably the people who would enjoy both games are pretty bored with Starcraft II already (like me, after finishing the campaign on hard and discovering that the skirmish ai is quite stupid) so perhaps you can push a sale earlier.

Just thought I would mention it.

If you miss the alert, you die. If you get the alert, you die. Summa summarum: You die. (Kierkegaard on CPAs)

Offline Cheese

« Reply #230 on: October 04, 2010, 11:48:47 am »
I'll make a post on Facepunch at some point.
E: It's up
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 12:50:42 pm by Cheese »

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #231 on: October 04, 2010, 05:07:51 pm »
Thanks, all!

To the various ideas:

* AI War, collectors edition
Probably we'll do that, or something like it, actually.

* design a ship contest

We already allow suggestions anytime, and I'm not sure how much that would really increase visibility at this stage.

* community day

Not sure what that is.

* put the soundtrack for both games on Napster

They are on iTunes, but Pablo owns the rights to the soundtracks outside the games, and so it's his personal business what happens with that sort of thing (and doesn't help Arcen one way or the other).

* woo the Linux crowd by getting reviewers on Linux sites ( after unity release, and maybe before for Tidalis)

With it only being playable in WINE, I'm not sure how enthusiastic they'd be.

I am not sure if this has been mentioned or not, (16 pages is alot of information for me to keep stored in my head), but I noticed on the Unity's website, the engine that Tidalis is made from, that it isn't listed in the game list on their site.

We told them about it, but they didn't put it up.  ???  It was one of the first unity games to include Steamworks support, too (the first, I'm almost certain, for the Mac).

What arcen should do, is checking up on when Diablo II is bound for release, and then do a new relase or a discount sale of AIWar, one or two or three weeks before that. At that time a lot of people will be very favourably disposed towards games with a space theme, while at the same time looking for something to play, while they are waiting for Diablo II to be released, and some of them would probably buy AIWar.

Well, Blizzard kind of do their own thing, they don't play by normal rules.  When you're a midlist author, you don't try to do what Stephen King does, or you'll be in real trouble.  There are some good points in there, but Blizzard trades on the strength of their name to make most of their sales, plus the massive amount of free press coverage that they get just for being them, so it's really just apples and oranges.  We are talking with other indie developers, and with a few smaller publishers, about timing of releases and similar, though, to see what other folks of a similar scale to ourselves think.

I'll make a post on Facepunch at some point.

Wicked!  Thank you!  ;D
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Cheese

« Reply #232 on: October 05, 2010, 12:11:10 pm »
It sunk, might have roused a little interest considering the 200+ views though. Then again, that's normal for FP. A lack of things to discuss I suppose. Meh.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #233 on: October 05, 2010, 12:12:46 pm »
Well, thanks for getting it on there, anyway!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline MysteryOne

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #234 on: October 05, 2010, 12:57:29 pm »
I'll get on spreading the love of AI War later, but on forehand, gimme a few links to articles, etc.
that may (or may not) be best for other RTS-players and others to know about AI War: Fleet Command...

So i can give em' anywhere i might good for spreading the word.
MysteryOne (Steam)

Offline getter77

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #235 on: October 05, 2010, 09:43:57 pm »
We told them about it, but they didn't put it up.  Huh  It was one of the first unity games to include Steamworks support, too (the first, I'm almost certain, for the Mac).

Definitely continue to press them on this, especially when 4.0 actually hits proper.  Perhaps they are backlogged with housekeeping in the wake of Version 3---still very much in the best interests of both parties.
The Roguelike Guy...also hopefully an overall skilled developer as time rolls on.

Offline Rustayne

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #236 on: October 06, 2010, 02:09:08 am »
We told them about it, but they didn't put it up.  Huh  It was one of the first unity games to include Steamworks support, too (the first, I'm almost certain, for the Mac).

Definitely continue to press them on this, especially when 4.0 actually hits proper.  Perhaps they are backlogged with housekeeping in the wake of Version 3---still very much in the best interests of both parties.

Agreed.  The engine has done a lot for you guys, and in turn you guys have done for them by choosing their engine over another, or even sticking with what was working for you.  Keeping up with it might be a good idea.

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #237 on: October 06, 2010, 03:12:53 am »
I found this old thread http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,690.0.html but no other mention of AI War / Tidalis in other languages. Maybe this could help promoting the games a little? Is the game "localizable"? Are there already any existing translations available?

Offline Cheese

« Reply #238 on: October 06, 2010, 11:10:39 am »
Bay12 thread on the financial issues. There's a discussion about it, has some opinions in it.
Someone thinks you need to 'polish' the game and make it's web page look more attractive or something. He thinks you go on about the numbers of units too much. He hasn't actually tried the game of course.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #239 on: October 06, 2010, 11:35:31 am »
Well, it is certainly possible that the existing marketing materials have a higher-than-intended emphasis on the unit count.  If a potential customer is of the sort that sees something like that and has made a "definitely not downloading demo" decision within 10 seconds, they are outside the audience that we can reach with our current marketing abilities.  Not saying that there's anything wrong with the person (no one's paying _them_ to find/play/like/buy our game), and not saying that there aren't marketing techniques that can reach that kind of not-willing-to-give-us-much-of-a-chance person, but we have neither the expertise nor the resources to make that happen in a general way.

But we will make improvements where we can, as with everything.

Anyway, thank you for your efforts in that thread and elsewhere :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk