Author Topic: I really like Dark Spire.  (Read 7281 times)

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
I really like Dark Spire.
« on: October 31, 2012, 12:30:06 pm »
Dark Spire 10 is definitely a game changer.

Its easy to hit critical mass, and then the galaxy gets overrun. My worlds are fortified so do OK, and the ai tends to fall back to their HW's, and the rest of the map has roaming partisan-like forces of the Dark Spire.

It makes me scream "Yay!"

And I never have to worry about Special Forces again  ;)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:35:45 pm by chemical_art »
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: I really like Dark Spire.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 12:35:19 pm »
Glad you're enjoying it :)  I thought it would add some notable variety for the particularly insane among us.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 12:36:23 pm »
Isn't there a risk though that enough of them will "stop by" at once to your worlds to start posing a real threat?

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 12:38:10 pm »
I like DS too. Somewhere more reasonable than intensity 10, though. Just enough to occasionally give me or the AI some headaches.
If warheads can't solve it, use more warheads.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 02:18:10 pm »
A cross planet attack? What cross planet attack?
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 02:33:36 pm »
Black hole generator + Vengence generator = breaking the threat bar completely.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 03:12:04 pm »
Maybe after a certain amount of ships, DS ships should destroy any BHM in the system?  A nice 4k maybe?  That should be fun to have released all at once.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 03:24:56 pm »
Isn't there a risk though that enough of them will "stop by" at once to your worlds to start posing a real threat?

I have yet to see anything significant try to hit a choke point. Even when they had numbers in the tens of thousands.

Black hole generator + Vengence generator = breaking the threat bar completely.

That would be a Roach Motel. The Vengeance Generator doesn't even need to be on the same world :)

Eventually DS ships it a mass so big that the game stops using most of them. There was a SS I posted in another thread that had the entire inner grav well filled. Those ships wouldn't move at all. Just would have more spawn in. When it hits that point, the AI can actually start killing them off. When the threat is that high, the AI sends only carriers (everywhere). DS won't purposely target a carrier. So the AI floats a carrier around the entire system and cleans it out or cleans off a bunch of them.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 04:06:01 pm »

I have yet to see anything significant try to hit a choke point. Even when they had numbers in the tens of thousands.

Never said it was a huge risk, or even a likely one. But it is still theoretically possible (due to sheet dumb chance of plenty of the DS happening to have one of your planets as a way point at around the same time), right. ;)

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 04:27:46 pm »

Never said it was a huge risk, or even a likely one. But it is still theoretically possible (due to sheet dumb chance of plenty of the DS happening to have one of your planets as a way point at around the same time), right. ;)

Heh. I could upload the save that has some 250,000 DS ships in the galaxy. The most action I got that game from the DS was from the choke point I set up on a VG planet :) You do get trickle attacks from DS. It isn't something a good choke (with tachy coverage) can't handle.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 06:38:05 pm »
With 4.2 k dark spire bottled up on a black hole world, I admit it is slowing my game a bit now.

What is worst is that the AI has etherjets enabled, and has about 3500 on that world just in case.

EDIT: At 10:05:00 in I'm tempted to give up my current game. The game is crawling at about 1.5 real seconds per 1 second of game time, and that is with no combat or activity aside from roaming dark spire. Normally my games have around 10K units in total running around during combat, but in this one I have about 8K units during passive phases of the game.

EDIT 2: Given the dark spire are meant to cause chaos anyway, can they be allowed to intentionally pop black hole generators please? I'd rather the aip response kill me rather then my patience ;)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 06:47:56 pm by chemical_art »
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 11:03:49 pm »
I really wish I kept better notes!

It's late game, and now more then ever the Dark Spire dominate. Threat level now jumps a lot but hangs around 10k. A fully shielded spire battleship can't make a deepstrike to the ai hw without dying first, and any ai threat simply cannot get through the mass either.

Hooray!
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 11:45:01 pm »

It's late game, and now more then ever the Dark Spire dominate. Threat level now jumps a lot but hangs around 10k. A fully shielded spire battleship can't make a deepstrike to the ai hw without dying first, and any ai threat simply cannot get through the mass either.

Hooray!
Dark Spire: Because to heck with your war, now stay in your seats you two. :P

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 01:09:39 am »

Hooray!
Dark Spire: Because to heck with your war, now stay in your seats you two. :P
Mission accomplished? Sort of? I mean if the dark spire can be easily pushed back and the AI is toasted to bits as soon as it sends in ships, then humans can live relatively peaceably. I mean, I know we're supposed to eradicate our horrible mistakes and all, but I'd say not being under imminent annihilation under an ironclad defense is a pretty solid life for a race.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 01:17:43 am »
The only problem is exo-waves.

Edit: sorta like part of Fallen Spire, actually. Is there a relation here keith? ???
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 01:23:19 am by Aklyon »