Author Topic: How far does Dyson Gatlings go?  (Read 2480 times)

Offline carldong

• Full Member Mark III
How far does Dyson Gatlings go?
« on: November 02, 2015, 02:15:25 am »
Just to experiment, I started a 5/5 game on 80 planets, with dyson sphere on 10/10. According to my whole-galaxy scout, the Dyson Sphere is something like 4 hops away from my empire, but I regularly get 1-2 gatlings coming through. Also, they are not triggering my Mines, which is strange because it doesn't say immune to mines. Not too big a problem, but if I just leave them alone without killing them, will they eventually go everywhere? Also, I think I read somewhere that the AI worlds will be on alert if there is a Dyson Sphere around, but it doesn't look like so... (OK,OK, at first there was no Dyson Sphere, I threw it in using cheats since I want to see them anyways).

BTW, I am amazed that on my previous game, the most annoying ship was Blade Spawner, and this time it changes to Spire Starship! Apparently the AI is different.

BTW2, I get Repraisal Warning 4 when I lost a cap of Fighters and half of Bomber I/II, but only around 40 ships came. 7 at Repraisal 2. Looks strange... A  normal wave is larger than that...

BTW3. It is the first time I see >10 Riot Control ships in special force. I lost most of my Bombers there, but I also destroy all of them every time, sacrificing my Bombers. How often do AIs throw in new special forces?

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
Re: How far does Dyson Gatlings go?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 06:04:54 am »
Just to experiment, I started a 5/5 game on 80 planets, with dyson sphere on 10/10. According to my whole-galaxy scout, the Dyson Sphere is something like 4 hops away from my empire, but I regularly get 1-2 gatlings coming through. Also, they are not triggering my Mines, which is strange because it doesn't say immune to mines. Not too big a problem, but if I just leave them alone without killing them, will they eventually go everywhere? Also, I think I read somewhere that the AI worlds will be on alert if there is a Dyson Sphere around, but it doesn't look like so... (OK,OK, at first there was no Dyson Sphere, I threw it in using cheats since I want to see them anyways).
Have you befriended the Dyson Sphere?

BTW, I am amazed that on my previous game, the most annoying ship was Blade Spawner, and this time it changes to Spire Starship! Apparently the AI is different.
The AIs get ship unlocks just like the players. In each game, they'll have different bonus ships. They also do this kind of random pick from a pool for the guardians they will use.

BTW2, I get Repraisal Warning 4 when I lost a cap of Fighters and half of Bomber I/II, but only around 40 ships came. 7 at Repraisal 2. Looks strange... A  normal wave is larger than that...
The warning level depends on your AIP. Loosing metal at low AIP would display a reprisal warning with a given level and send a given strength at you, while at higher AIP, loosing the same amount of metal would result in the (roughly) same power being sent at you but would display a lower warning level.

AIP X, looses N, warning A, reprisal strength M
AIP Y, looses N, warning B, reprisal strength M

BTW3. It is the first time I see >10 Riot Control ships in special force. I lost most of my Bombers there, but I also destroy all of them every time, sacrificing my Bombers. How often do AIs throw in new special forces?
You'll get used to it. I saw more than 50 RControl in a 6/6 game recently, and I already saw around 100 of them in a serious game. Enable the "hunter" plot in your next game. You'll laugh... or cry.
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline carldong

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 11:33:07 am »

I haven't befriended it yet (A bit too far away)

As of Special Force, when they are too overwhelming... Lightening Warheads away!

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 01:45:47 pm »
I haven't befriended it yet (A bit too far away)
Oh! Héhé. ;D
Just try it, it's !!fun!!
IIRC, the Dyson's Gatlings spawn more often when befriended (and fire only on the AI, of course). So I guess they'll go further in AI territory once the Dyson Sphere freed.

As of Special Force, when they are too overwhelming... Lightening Warheads away!
Yeah! 8) And Armored warhead for the Hunter Plot!!!
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline carldong

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 01:59:07 pm »
In order to dig out the Dyson Sphere, I unlocked Scout III at the beginning... And scouted the entire galaxy right after my initial defences were up. And it was not there... What is the probability that one will spawn?

Offline carldong

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 02:02:40 pm »
Yeah! 8) And Armored warhead for the Hunter Plot!!!

Well, I find that a full cap of MkI through IV lightning torpedo frigates work surprisingly well. Takes a long time and a hell lot of metal to build, but bombards an entire planet of enemy ships until there are only missile frigates left. Better, lightning torpedoes passes through force field and doesn't hurt the Command Station and Warp Gates! Although apparently 200 of those little warheads will alert adjacent planets

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 05:01:12 pm »
In order to dig out the Dyson Sphere, I unlocked Scout III at the beginning... And scouted the entire galaxy right after my initial defences were up. And it was not there... What is the probability that one will spawn?
If the Dyson Sphere minor faction is enabled, there is a 100% guarantee that there will be exactly one (1) Dyson Sphere in the universe.  If it didn't spawn, then either it is a bug or you may have some very strange settings (like 8 Human Homeworlds in a 10 system galaxy).

If you go to the Galaxy Map and flip to the Immobile Minor Factions filter, the system with the "DS" label has the Dyson Sphere.

Offline carldong

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 05:24:17 pm »
If the Dyson Sphere minor faction is enabled, there is a 100% guarantee that there will be exactly one (1) Dyson Sphere in the universe.  If it didn't spawn, then either it is a bug or you may have some very strange settings (like 8 Human Homeworlds in a 10 system galaxy).

If you go to the Galaxy Map and flip to the Immobile Minor Factions filter, the system with the "DS" label has the Dyson Sphere.

I used filters. Well, I actually have ONE planet not scouted because it is right next to a core world and cut by the home world... Unless it is THAT one where the Dyson Sphere spawned. I am on 80 planet map using Realistic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk