Author Topic: Finding people to play with, in-game.  (Read 4035 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Finding people to play with, in-game.
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 04:23:16 pm »
Okay, so this is what I wound up doing in the "Find Multiplayer LAN Games" window for the next release.  Both of those are hotlinks that minimize the application when clicked.  Also, I renamed "Find Multiplayer LAN Games" to be "Join Multiplayer Game" instead (since it has this, the LAN find games, and the Direct IP Connect all here).

I think this is the best I'm going to be able to do regarding IRC, integrating that into the game itself is outside the scope of what I can really do right now.  But if XFire takes off, or later we get GameSpy to work with us, then I'm all for either.  And I'll still be looking at adding support for even smaller maps in the future.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Ekkosangen

• Heyo, Heyo!
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 03:48:55 am »
XFire and Gamespy would be great, Steam would be absolutely fantastical. If you haven't already, maybe see if you can get in contact with them to see if something can be worked out.

Also, you don't necessarily need to completely know the person, just make sure you set some times up when you'll meet before you finish each session, and be sure that you stick to it.

On that note, Zul, I'll be on at around 2pm until around 7pm to finish up that game. Check the IRC for me and I should be there.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 03:51:11 am by Ekkosangen »

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 10:12:38 am »
XFire and Gamespy would be great, Steam would be absolutely fantastical. If you haven't already, maybe see if you can get in contact with them to see if something can be worked out.

I sent an inquiry to Steam a good while ago, but they are notoriously slow about getting back to indie developers.  6+ weeks is not uncommon, and it's only been around 4 weeks.  If anyone wants to bug them in their forums about including the game, that is always something that can help -- not something that I can do, as the developer, but I've done what I can as far as contacting them goes.  I imagine we'll find our way onto their platform at some point, the question is mostly just of timing.  We only got on Impulse as quickly as we did because one of their staff members saw the game, loved it, and sped us through the process.  The other distribution sites reviewing the game are taking their normal, longer, amounts of time to review it (or in the case of Steam and GamersGate, even request a copy for review after my original missive to them).

Also, you don't necessarily need to completely know the person, just make sure you set some times up when you'll meet before you finish each session, and be sure that you stick to it.

Very true.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk