Author Topic: Eyes Won't Die  (Read 3394 times)

Offline Phantom

• Newbie Mark II
Eyes Won't Die
« on: November 11, 2012, 11:51:03 pm »
So I did some guerilla warfare with my raid starships and took out all of the guard posts. Unfortunately, it said there's 2 guardposts left to kill it and all of them are destroyed and the AI won't die. :(

Offline Oralordos

• Sr. Member Mark III
  • Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
Re: Eyes Won't Die
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 11:53:32 pm »
With the information given, I would guess that there's some stealth guard posts. Build some scout starships and send them around the planet. Especially near resource points.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 11:54:06 pm »
AI Special Forces posts count as guardposts in regard to eyes.

If there are no guardposts of any sort, there is also the potential for stealth guardposts, meaning you need to sweep all the asteroids with a cloak detector to find it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 11:59:37 pm by chemical_art »
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 12:10:00 am »
Just build Scout Starships and find the Stealth Guard Posts. Scouts SSs detect cloaked stuff.
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline Fluffiest

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 06:02:21 am »
If you've swept the system with scout starships and still not found the cloaked guard posts, a Tachyon Warhead will do the trick.

Offline @B0FH

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 06:15:41 am »
I've never thought about using Scout SS like that, wish I did! I'm always just detonating warheads and sucking up the AIP!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 06:26:22 am »
Them pesky stealth posts I tell you.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 08:43:12 am »
I just move my fleet close to every harvester on the planet until I get attacked by something. Though I guess scout starships are faster with their high movement speed.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 10:49:10 am »
I think something needs to be done to ensure that stealth guard posts will only seed on harvester spots. If it needs to seed more guard posts than there are resource spots, then stealth guard posts should be ineligible for the random placement of the excess guard posts, as otherwise they could seed in the middle of nowhere with no assured clue to their position.

Offline Bognor

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 07:27:08 pm »
You say that like it's a bad thing  ;)
Your computer can help defeat malaria!
Please visit the World Community Grid to find out how.

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 08:33:44 pm »
It's only bad if it spawns outside the outer gravity well. ;)

Offline contingencyplan

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 03:18:21 am »
I think something needs to be done to ensure that stealth guard posts will only seed on harvester spots. If it needs to seed more guard posts than there are resource spots, then stealth guard posts should be ineligible for the random placement of the excess guard posts, as otherwise they could seed in the middle of nowhere with no assured clue to their position.

Agreed. When the post isn't on any of the resource nodes, that typically means I either choose to send my scout starships in concentric circles (having to watch them the entire time so I don't miss it) around the grav well until I find it, and hope that I didn't mess up the overlap of the tach radii and miss it. The easier option is to just send a Tach Warhead, which amounts to trading AIP for aggravation / tedium, rather than an actual strategic advantage (ignoring preserved sanity as a strategic resource).

As a more general question, what does the stealth guard post actually accomplish?
  • It causes newbie confusion when Eyes don't die: I almost posted the same "bug" until I found the same "look for stealth guard posts" reply.
  • It is easily overlooked in the planet info: "I have 5 minutes to kill the Eye, but there's only 3 posts --- this should be easy!"
  • It is a PITA to find, even if it's only seeded on resource nodes
  • The strategic benefit it provides the AI is insiginificant.
As to that last point, the only benefit the AI receives from it is masking the composition of a small subset of ships (10%, depending on the number of posts) on the planet. And even then, the composition of those ships will be known soon enough --- just torque off the AI enough to provoke a planet-wide response. And with the recent reinforcement change, the types of the ships in that subset  are almost certainly known from the other, non-cloaked ships on the planet.

At the very least, I would switch the Stealth Guard Post to the same category as Wormhole Guard Posts --- no shielding for the Eye and destroyed on loss of command station.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 11:11:30 am »
Speaking of Stealth Guard Posts

8987: Making cloaked guard posts less annoying to deal with

Notice, the suggestion is to make them less annoying to deal with, not necessarily make them easier to deal with.

Offline Phantom

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 12:56:16 am »
Yeah, I got a scout starship but couldn't find the cloaked guardpost, so I pulled a decloaker in (was taking a little shot but I let some of my fleet ship soak up a little damage, found the cloaked guardpost and took them down which dealt with the eye). I remember not unlocking decloaker much but I unlocked them on this because the AIs were sending a lot of stealth ships.

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 12:50:07 pm »
Stealth Guard Posts could become visible when the player has 5:1 ships on that AI planet.
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!