Author Topic: Does a new design backup spawn for each new ship type unlocked by the AI?  (Read 3311 times)

Offline contingencyplan

So quick question: when the AI unlocks a new ship design, does it spawn a brand new Design Backup Server for each type? And does it choose the planet entirely at random, or just from planets that do not have an existing backup server?

If that's the case, why does the description text imply that the AI may instead assign a new design to an existing backup server? Under what circumstances may that occur? The wiki seems to imply that it will create a new server on a planet that already has one, rather than assigning a new ship type to an existing server.

If it's the case that it'll only use an existing one if there's literally nowhere else to put a new one (because you've taken every planet or every non-AI homeworld planet), could we get an update to that description field? The min-maxer in me kinda wants to keep them around to hopefully catch multiple AI ships in the same hack for the cost of a single hack (as teased by the existing description), but it seems like that's a futile exercise from my experience.

Offline Timerlane

I'm pretty sure it does create new ones. The main reason I noticed is that the filter for Design Backup Servers on the Galaxy Map will know they're there, if you've previously explored a planet, but haven't revisited the planet since the Server showed up(e.g. you decide to unlock Mark IV Scout Starships at the beginning and map out the whole galaxy in advance).

I remember being confused about the map filter telling me there was a Backup Server on a planet, but all the old planet data showed no such thing. I sent ships to revisit the planet, and found there was indeed a new Backup Server where there was nothing before.

I don't know how random it is, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get 'free' designs from having multiple Servers on the same planet, just as you don't get 'free' designs from planets with multiple fabricators. Well, in the latter case, you do save time(as it's all in one hacking 'session'), and I believe you're simply charged for multiple hacks at the same 'current' price, compared to having the price rise after each individual hack.

Offline legionof1

• Newbie Mark II
New backup spawns for every "new" design the AI gets. This fairly often happens in a play-style involving neutering but not claiming many systems. Not sure how the "multi hack" would function in this case.

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
New backup spawns for every "new" design the AI gets. This fairly often happens in a play-style involving neutering but not claiming many systems. Not sure how the "multi hack" would function in this case.
From experience, I can tell you that a Backup Hacker (Download or Corruption) will activate against ALL the Backup Servers in a given system at the same time, counting once for each one.  In other words, if you are Design Corrupting in a system with 3 Backup Servers in it (and you haven't done this before) it'll cost a total of 95 HaP (20 + 30 + 45) and all three designs will be removed.

Offline Vacuity

• Full Member Mark II
When facing an Everything AI, hacking backup servers tend to be something close to the last hacking you'll ever get to do in the game, but pretty lucrative!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk