Author Topic: Did humans actually met the spire before?  (Read 5623 times)

Offline onyhow

• Nuclear powah!
Did humans actually met the spire before?
« on: December 18, 2012, 09:41:15 am »
It seems strange, the journal piece for Fallen Spire campaign basically indicates that humans only actually met the spire then and there, and only found artifacts of them before...Ancient Shadows on the other hand seems to say that humans actually have a pretty regular contact with the spire, and some of em saw one in person before, consider that van Erik said spires are luminous rocks...

So...which is supposed to be true?

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Did humans actually met the spire before?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 09:53:18 am »
There are multiple groups of Spire.  The Imperial Spire (whose homeworld is in Andromeda) have had only limited contact with humans at beginning of the game, and they're the ones you run into in the FS campaign.  The Gray Spire are basically small groups that have been wandering a bunch of places, including our galaxy, for quite a while.

Then, of course, there's the Dark Spire.  Not very good for property values.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline doctorfrog

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 04:03:26 am »
Here's where the lack of hard game lore and imagination sets in: in my mind, the "Fleet Commander" is pretty much awakened from a long sleep, and he/she is like, "what the hell is a Spire Starship? Why do we have access to alien technology?"

Well, what's your answer? I know that Chris has some idea of what he had in mind, but he's kept pretty quiet. My guess is partly to allow himself some flexibility in future expansions, partly because he sees an opportunity for player agency.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 04:22:22 am »
Wasn't that discovered among the remants of humanity's ruins? The plans for both the Spire ship and the Zenith starship? It's so long ago I literally don't remember :D
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Histidine

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 04:28:40 am »
If I'm remembering the FS journals right, the Spire Starship is a human design using tech bought from some Zenith traders, "quite different from the real thing." Presumably the Zenith Starship was acquired through similar means. Scavenged Spire tech was also the basis for the modular Riot Control Starship.

There are multiple groups of Spire.  The Imperial Spire (whose homeworld is in Andromeda) have had only limited contact with humans at beginning of the game, and they're the ones you run into in the FS campaign.  The Gray Spire are basically small groups that have been wandering a bunch of places, including our galaxy, for quite a while.
I think there's a bit of a continuity issue here in that humans have had past contact with Spire, yet in FS Dr. Michael Davidson expresses amazement at the Spire being rocks crystalline formations. (Handwave: The Gray/Dark Spire took a page from the Zenith social playbook; none of their interactions with humans involved being seen in person.)

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 04:40:25 am »
If I'm remembering the FS journals right, the Spire Starship is a human design using tech bought from some Zenith traders, "quite different from the real thing." Presumably the Zenith Starship was acquired through similar means. Scavenged Spire tech was also the basis for the modular Riot Control Starship.
Damn you people with better memory than me :D
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline onyhow

• Nuclear powah!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 10:23:28 pm »
@Histidine: yeah, that's the exact reason why I asked...it really feels like continuity issue...

Offline onyhow

• Nuclear powah!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 01:07:56 am »
Sorry for double post, but it's a bit of bumping:

Also it's weird that the refugee ships says the Spire are unidentified race consider that AS hsays humans already made contact with the Spire and they are consistently very helpful...

Offline Radiant Phoenix

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 02:21:58 pm »
I think that's why the Spire Starship is immune to gravity and the Imperial Spire ships aren't.

Also, Radar Damping and some of those other delicious abilities that make the Spire Starship your go-to unit for unanticipated Gravity Drills

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk