Author Topic: CPW Spawn Point  (Read 3553 times)

Offline Elestan

• Full Member Mark II
CPW Spawn Point
« on: December 03, 2015, 10:06:40 am »
Why does the presence of a scout keep CPWs from spawning in a system?  This behavior lets me easily manipulate the AI's attacks just by positioning my pickets.

Besides, I think it would be cool if, upon an AI launching a CPW, the scout in that system sent a panicked message..."Uh, sir?  We've got about 2000 AI bombers and 12 flagships that just warped in to the Hasjobu system...".

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
Re: CPW Spawn Point
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 03:05:22 pm »
Sounds strange. Have any proof of this behavior? Save file maybe?

Besides, I think it would be cool if, upon an AI launching a CPW, the scout in that system sent a panicked message..."Uh, sir?  We've got about 2000 AI bombers and 12 flagships that just warped in to the Hasjobu system...".
You can see the threat count skyrocket.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 03:53:15 pm by Kahuna »
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 08:55:03 pm »

That does remind it that an alert about if the total threat count increased quickly in a short time would be useful. I know know it blinks red if it is so high but that eventually becomes meaningless. What matters to me more then the total threat is rather when those spikes happen.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Elestan

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 10:34:52 pm »
Why does the presence of a scout keep CPWs from spawning in a system?  This behavior lets me easily manipulate the AI's attacks just by positioning my pickets.
From the Wiki:
 You have turned on "Cross Planet Waves" in the game lobby; waves spawn at one of the AI homeworlds out of detection range and work their way to your systems.
I think "homeworld" here is imprecise...I'm pretty sure they can spawn in places other than the actual AI Homeworld (or else they reach my border impossibly fast); it just has to be an AI command station, and, apparently, it has to be one that the player can't see.  I just don't see a good reason for the latter requirement.

Sure, but the scout report is more entertaining.

Offline Elestan

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 10:39:13 pm »
That does remind it that an alert about if the total threat count increased quickly in a short time would be useful. I know know it blinks red if it is so high but that eventually becomes meaningless. What matters to me more then the total threat is rather when those spikes happen.
What I would advocate is rating the danger of an attack by comparing its strength (not ship count) with the strength of my nearest system.  If it's close to an even fight, then it's a serious threat, and the alert should be more intrusive.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 01:59:31 pm »
That bit about detection range notwithstanding, I don't think the presence of a scout prevents a CPW spawn.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Imago

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 05:34:33 pm »
The lesson here is to not take wiki text written in 2010 by some random person as gospel.

Offline Elestan

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 11:23:59 pm »
That bit about detection range notwithstanding, I don't think the presence of a scout prevents a CPW spawn.

Thanks Keith.  My own experience at least seems to back up the wiki; as my picket perimeter expanded in my current game (With CPW on), the waves always seemed to come in from beyond my outermost scouts.  Might you be willing to share an outline of the "SelectSystemForCPW" algorithm?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk