Author Topic: Cost/Benefit Ratio?  (Read 8415 times)

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
Re: Cost/Benefit Ratio?
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 09:48:31 am »
I was trying to figure out what the L was for.
L stands for confusing in this context.

Offline ZaneWolfe

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 10:24:12 am »
I thought I put a post in here, but I come back and its not there. Nor does my post history show a log of the post. ~scratches head~ Did it get deleted? What did I do?

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 10:26:54 am »
I thought I put a post in here, but I come back and its not there. Nor does my post history show a log of the post. ~scratches head~ Did it get deleted? What did I do?

The hybrids got it.  :o

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 10:28:12 am »
Both of them are overpriced and Mobile Repair thing kills the economy.

The post linked by Kahuna was accurate at the time but hasn't been since version 5.051: engie-repair now costs the same m+c per hp as MRS-repair.  Overall repair costs were reduced to compensate, so the MRS repair is actually cheaper than it was, too.

Actually, it's just as true now as it was then, but the engies now also tank your economy.
(That's the difference).

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 10:30:13 am »
Actually, it's just as true now as it was then, but the engies now also tank your economy.
(That's the difference).
I think you could save cabinet space by just buying water glasses half the size of what you do now :)

More seriously, the overall repair costs were halved to compensate for that change, so it's not just as true now as it was then by any arithmetic measure.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2012, 11:00:58 am »
Well, if my experience is worth anything, after the last buffs, I use MRSs, even with the 4k unlock costs. When you need some minor repairs to a lot of things, possibly in hostile territory, MRSs are one of the best at that job.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2012, 02:52:02 pm »
I think you could save cabinet space by just buying water glasses half the size of what you do now :)

I make sure that it's the bottom half of the glass that is empty.  And I mean vacuum.
http://what-if.xkcd.com/6/

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2012, 03:04:26 pm »
I make sure that it's the bottom half of the glass that is empty.  And I mean vacuum.
http://what-if.xkcd.com/6/
I daresay that would not make your outlook more optimistic.  Just more fragmented.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Nodor

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2012, 03:50:01 pm »
In my last couple of fleet heavy games I found the MRS to be very useful.

Mind you, I unlock them as part of my broad strategy to use a SuperTerminal to beat the AI into submission. 

For my next test I need to find out if there is a hacking level beyond "Forest Fire Extreme". 

1200 + AI Progress reduction through SuperTerminal abuse makes knowledge a non-starter.   And MRS are a critical part of keeping 2000 or so turrets killing Mark 5 zombies. 

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2012, 04:45:31 pm »
1200 + AI Progress reduction through SuperTerminal abuse makes knowledge a non-starter.   And MRS are a critical part of keeping 2000 or so turrets killing Mark 5 zombies.
Extreme SuperTerminal rides got severely nerfed when the AIP Floor Cap was removed.  Back when the floor was capped at 300, it was possible to effectively lock AIP at 300 forever with a sufficient ST setup.  But now the floor keeps going up, so you need to carefully balance when to quit, based on your expected future AIP gains.

However, I still don't use the MRS even on 1000+ AIP ST runs.  I just use engineers.  That 4000 knowledge can be better spent on more turrets/fortresses.

For my next test I need to find out if there is a hacking level beyond "Forest Fire Extreme". 
Been there, done that, got the avatar  :(

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2012, 03:43:27 am »
so the MRS repair is actually cheaper than it was, too.
But still more expensive than others no?
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2012, 05:21:51 am »
MRS and Medic Frigates have a repair rate of 1.
Engi I:   2
Engi II:  9
Engi III: 12
E Engie: 15
Fort I, II, III and Mod Fort: 2.5
Superfort: 3.5

Don't know how that plays into it, but there's the rates :)
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2012, 08:03:06 am »
so the MRS repair is actually cheaper than it was, too.
But still more expensive than others no?

Nope.

Going from 1HP to 100% HP now costs the same regardless of the repair rate of the thing repairing it. (Assuming it is the same thing being repaired in both cases, of course)

More generally, costs to repair are no longer influenced by repair rate. The only thing higher repair rates do now is repair faster.

Offline Diazo

• Master Member Mark II
  • I love/hate Diff 10
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2012, 09:28:12 am »
Yes, I need to run some tests to get the actual numbers to update the wiki page, but if a unit costs 100 m+c to repair, it will cost 100 m+c no matter what repairs it.

The repair rate is simply how fast the repair happens, so a unit with Repair Rate 2 will repair twice as fast as a unit with Repair Rate 1.

Reading the patch notes, I think repair costs are now 25% of the listed build cost but I am very uncertain about that at the moment, it might be 50% and it might be 12.5% depending on how you read them.

Will see if I can find time for those tests tonight.

D.

Offline LordSloth

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2012, 01:49:43 pm »
I'd like to see MK2 Transports get Radar Dampening, immunity to Gravity Effects, and -possibly- immunity to EMP. Crazy as it was, I actually used to use Fortresses for their storage capacity, in particular when the Zenith Devourer was roaming the world. The EMP protection on the fortress combined with storage was probably a source of potential cheese.