Author Topic: Cost/Benefit Ratio?  (Read 8424 times)

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
Re: Cost/Benefit Ratio?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 03:41:50 pm »
The MRS makes cloaking strike forces stronger, since it can safely repair at system edge without drawing any attention.  Engineer IIIs will pull attention, and can make it impossible to use them safely in systems with longer range units such as Bombards.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 04:23:50 pm »
Probably could kill the delay and add some beams to the MRS.

Right now I only get them if I am using a bunch of parasites or I feel like taking the Champ out to "harvest" AI ships.

I doubt the delay will be removed entirely. Originally, the MRSs had no delay, and could repair while moving. This made them quite OP. Thus the first nerf, which brought the timeout to 30 seconds with no cloaking or radar dampening. As that made them so bad no one wanted to use them, they were (eventually) buffed to where they are now. Considering where they were before, 10 or so seconds with these now seems pretty nice.

I would agree that they could use some more beams though. Or a knowledge cost nerf. Or maybe a little bit of both.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 04:46:57 pm »
Probably could kill the delay and add some beams to the MRS.

Right now I only get them if I am using a bunch of parasites or I feel like taking the Champ out to "harvest" AI ships.

I doubt the delay will be removed entirely. Originally, the MRSs had no delay, and could repair while moving. This made them quite OP. Thus the first nerf, which brought the timeout to 30 seconds with no cloaking or radar dampening. As that made them so bad no one wanted to use them, they were (eventually) buffed to where they are now. Considering where they were before, 10 or so seconds with these now seems pretty nice.

I would agree that they could use some more beams though. Or a knowledge cost nerf. Or maybe a little bit of both.

The repair on the move thing we can get with the medic frigate. It's probably the thing I like the most about them.
So either the MRS could get it back or the frigate could lose the ability.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Diazo

• Master Member Mark II
  • I love/hate Diff 10
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 04:48:48 pm »
The frigate is a bonus ship though, it should be better then the base MRS in some way.

Maybe remove the delay but keep it so the MRS has to be stationary to repair while the Medic Frigate can repair on the move as its special ability?

D.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 04:53:44 pm »
The medic can fight. That is a bonus in itself.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 04:57:25 pm »
The frigate is a bonus ship though, it should be better then the base MRS in some way.

Maybe remove the delay but keep it so the MRS has to be stationary to repair while the Medic Frigate can repair on the move as its special ability?

D.

That, and the frigate does not have innate cloaking, each individual ship has far fewer repair beams (not sure about cap repair beam count though), and it can't repair without losing any externally provided cloak. And as mentioned, it is a bonus ship type.

Not sure if a "delay" of 0 seconds would prevent cheesy abuse though, even if it couldn't repair while moving. A delay of 1 second maybe? That would be enough to stop cheesy "move, stop, repair a tad, move, stop, etc" type tactics from making the MRS almost as OP as it was before.

And it may very well be that the Z medic frigates, as they are now, are OP for similar reasons that the old MRS was, and the current MRS is closer to what the intended balance target for offensive repair capabilities are supposed to be.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2012, 06:41:48 pm »
I don't remember ever hearing in the current game that medical frigates or current MLRS are OP, probably because its just so hard to use repairs mid battle without winning the battle first.

I still find it easier to get engineers III and enclaves II and just make the needed units on the fly if I am deepstriking. I get the flexibility of recovering most of my losses and still being able to repair with engineers III (I don't use mk III or starship for deepstrikes, I keep them on defense / short raids).

Of course I don't get bent out of shape if my engineers III die...since I can make more at home and teleport them silently to my fleet.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2012, 06:55:29 pm »
I don't remember ever hearing in the current game that medical frigates or current MLRS are OP, probably because its just so hard to use repairs mid battle without winning the battle first.

I still find it easier to get engineers III and enclaves II and just make the needed units on the fly if I am deepstriking. I get the flexibility of recovering most of my losses and still being able to repair with engineers III (I don't use mk III or starship for deepstrikes, I keep them on defense / short raids).

Of course I don't get bent out of shape if my engineers III die...since I can make more at home and teleport them silently to my fleet.

If any thing, it sounds like Mk. III engineers are OP for their cost. High cap, low-ish unlock cost, cloaking, teleportation, and cheap to build.
Seems like something needs to go, or unlock costs should go up.

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2012, 07:17:06 pm »
I emphatically oppose nerfing engi IIIs. I love the unit, but even in their current state, I can rarely justify unlocking them. Fleet repair can be accomplished by lower mark engineers in transports, though with some micro. And engineers can't fight.

I would like MRSs to either have a cost of 2000, planetwide coverage, or unlimited beams in their current range.

Transport IIs should have either a higher operational range, or a lower k cost.
If warheads can't solve it, use more warheads.

Offline Martyn van Buren

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2012, 07:29:20 pm »
I haven't used MLRS since about the time the delay got added but I remember thinking it was pretty good --- I do think it's a good force multiplier in a knock-down fight, especially for allowing your fleet to get another guardpost or so down in a homeworld raid.  I don't recall the k cost but 2000 sounds reasonable to me; if it's currently more I would support a reduction.  Have they always had cloaking?  I don't remember that --- I always did a lot of micro to keep them safe but I might have just not noticed cloaking.  Anyway I do think that having a repair station that you can safely group-move with the fleet sounds pretty valuable.

I have never unlocked transports II but I do think that wanting to be able to get farther across AI space would be the most likely reason for me wanting to do so.  So I'd support their having less self-attrition.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2012, 07:37:06 pm »
I emphatically oppose nerfing engi IIIs. I love the unit, but even in their current state, I can rarely justify unlocking them. Fleet repair can be accomplished by lower mark engineers in transports, though with some micro. And engineers can't fight.

I would like MRSs to either have a cost of 2000, planetwide coverage, or unlimited beams in their current range.

I vote for mobile repair stations go to 2k knowledge cost, or from 20 -> 40 beams with 3k knowledge cost.
I don't think they will gain their ability to move-repair back unless they get a pretty chunky nerf in number of beams.

For transports Mk. II, I would vote for 1 more planet out with 3k knowledge, or 2 more planets out for 4k knowledge.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2012, 07:42:23 pm »

I vote for mobile repair stations go to 2k knowledge cost, or from 20 -> 40 beams with 3k knowledge cost.
I don't think they will gain their ability to move-repair back unless they get a pretty chunky nerf in number of beams.

For transports Mk. II, I would vote for 1 more planet out with 3k knowledge, or 2 more planets out for 4k knowledge.

I'd support all of this.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Winge

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2012, 07:49:18 pm »

I'd support all of this.

I second all of it.  Mantis/poll?
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2012, 07:53:03 pm »
I haven't used MLRS since
It's spreading, so fyi: it's MRS, not MLRS :)  There are units in the game called MLRS, and they do something totally different and far more rocket-y ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Martyn van Buren

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 05:53:13 am »
I was trying to figure out what the L was for.