Author Topic: Community Input - The State of Fortresses  (Read 5464 times)

Offline Diazo

• Master Member Mark II
  • I love/hate Diff 10
Re: Community Input - The State of Fortresses
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2012, 11:01:00 am »
The fortresses as they are are really good at killing things so are made really expensive in return.
I don't know how much I agree with this.  Fortresses are expensive, but relative to how many resources you typically have with MK3 M+C Extractors (which seem to be a default unlock these days), the resource aspect isn't really a problem.  In other words, we can't balance in a vacuum.  They SHOULD be balanced in this way, but they're not.  Ion Cannons and other Trader weapons are many times more expensive, yet people use those all the time.

Playstyle differences strike again.

I don't think I've ever unlocked Mk III of both Crystal and Metal Extractors, I can't afford to spend that 5K knowledge on non-military stuff early in the game. Later in the game I have enough systems I don't need them so I don't unlock them there either.

I don't ever look at the trader stuff, I know there's no way I can afford any of it.

So yes, Fortresses are expensive if you are having to unlock economic structures to build them.

Keep in mind expensive is relative, fortresses are an early unlock for me, like 2nd system conquered unlock so my resource base is small.

Later on with 5 or 6 systems conquered they are not bad to replace anymore as the resource base has gotten big enough they are not economy breaking expensive any more.

Before you comment about economy being military power by being able to replace losses faster, at the level I play I'm talking about a single wave punching through my maxed out fleet so I don't have time to replace losses, so the economic power does not translate to military power for me. That level is also difficulty 10, so the usual warnings about this not being a typical game apply.

D.

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2012, 11:03:02 am »
on a side note and absolutely irrelevant to the main topic, but I can see why some people don't like having to downgrade the difficulty Wingflier. It's for the achievement hunters such as myself. People who are finally capable of succesfully playing 9/9 games (with or without cheese) won't like it when changes in the game suddenly forces them to play 8/8. Means you have to find tactics that work all over again. I haven't played 9/9 games since 5.020 or something so I'm afraid I will no longer be able to beat it lol.

Offline Diazo

• Master Member Mark II
  • I love/hate Diff 10
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2012, 11:23:52 am »
on a side note and absolutely irrelevant to the main topic, but I can see why some people don't like having to downgrade the difficulty Wingflier. It's for the achievement hunters such as myself. People who are finally capable of succesfully playing 9/9 games (with or without cheese) won't like it when changes in the game suddenly forces them to play 8/8. Means you have to find tactics that work all over again. I haven't played 9/9 games since 5.020 or something so I'm afraid I will no longer be able to beat it lol.

The thing is, the fortress is in a weird position and arguments can be made it is overpowered.

Not counting minor factions (so no fallen spire, zenith trader, golems or spirecraft) I believe the fortress is the most powerful individual unit the player can build.

This means the fortress straddles the line between 'normal' unit and 'super' unit.

If you are balancing against 'normal' units, the fortress is skirting being overpowered as it simply destroys anything that comes near it (not counting poly-crystal anyway.)

If you are balancing against 'super' units, the fortress is rather weak and probably needs a buff. However, fortresses still get built to fight in the 'super' unit arena because they are the only basic unit that can compete in the 'super' unit arena, there are simply no other options.

I'm not sure what this actually means for the game or what I would like to happen to the fortresses as I am torn. I can see the point about fortresses being over-powered as a 'normal' unit, but the player needs that buildable 'super' unit which the fortresses almost are.

D.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2012, 11:33:34 am »

The thing is, the fortress is in a weird position and arguments can be made it is overpowered.

Not counting minor factions (so no fallen spire, zenith trader, golems or spirecraft) I believe the fortress is the most powerful individual unit the player can build.

This means the fortress straddles the line between 'normal' unit and 'super' unit.

If you are balancing against 'normal' units, the fortress is skirting being overpowered as it simply destroys anything that comes near it (not counting poly-crystal anyway.)

If you are balancing against 'super' units, the fortress is rather weak and probably needs a buff. However, fortresses still get built to fight in the 'super' unit arena because they are the only basic unit that can compete in the 'super' unit arena, there are simply no other options.

I'm not sure what this actually means for the game or what I would like to happen to the fortresses as I am torn. I can see the point about fortresses being over-powered as a 'normal' unit, but the player needs that buildable 'super' unit which the fortresses almost are.

D.

On power the fort straddles that line between super and normal, but it does so at the cost of resources and energy.

A single fort costs in resources over twice as much as a cap of the most expensive turret, the sniper.

A single fort costs over twice the energy as a cap of the most resource heavy turret, the lightning turret.

Forts also cost a planet's worth of K to begin with, although if you manage to afford them in energy and cost the cost in K is hardly noticeable.

Life is short. Have fun.

Offline LordSloth

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2012, 01:37:25 pm »
TL;DR version: Human Fortresses, minor to moderate tweaks. AI Fortresses: Nerf the basic unit, reduce the level of hard counter, give it a weaker ability to interact beyond just the range of the main guns.

From my thread earlier, I came to change how I view the issue. The way I see it now is there are at least four potential overlapping roles, some existing, some not.

1). Territorial control. Putting a fortress up in a minor border system or as a beachhead in hostile territory. Range, durability are key. This is the most common role for the AI as well.
2). Heavy Weapons Platform. Putting multiple fortresses in one world to output maximum firepower. Their abilities aren't nearly as important as their firepower/cost ratio.
3).  "Stronghold/Base". Establishing a fortress as the center of the operation. Competing for knowledge with Mobile Repair Stations, just one provides strong but not gamechanging support. Range isn't so much of a concern as their ability to be up front with the fleet, supporting it with fire, repair.
4). Modular, customizable
5). AI owned obstacle. Sometimes, even without a fortress AI, they show up in just the right place to actually be interesting. Other times placement just influences the order you choose targets.

Since this isn't a brainstorming session, I won't go in depth into some of the abilities, but I will give some brief examples to give context to the above.
A). One of the suggestions involved tweaking the costs and stats. This would not affect the basic desire for fortresses to fill other roles or be 'more interesting'. Its primary concern is role 2. Particular concern should be paid to its effects on role 5
B). A second suggestion involved turning them into some sort of command and control center, as well as giving them drones. Drones with a long enough range and quick spawning could be an interesting factor in AI systems, as they would effect the entire system. They would function well enough in role 1, but likely fail role 2. They could easily be balanced at lower cost/power but higher cap.

It seems player concerns factor into three very broad categories: I like their role but (might) want to adjust their balance; I want a different role entirely for us humans to play around with; I'm more concerned about how they fill out the AI's role, want to make them a more interesting obstacle.

I like their player role, but want to adjust their balance or tweak to make a bit more engaging to use.
I wouldn't mind another line of 'Strongholds' fulfilling a less expensive role, combining basic system functions (stardocks, supply, energy collector), that is significantly weaker and less expensive, but comes with (no shields) but interceptor/bomber/slicer modules from the champion line (yet with neinzul-level attrition). This would fulfill a more support and counter role, able to handle a wide variety of loose AI ships at any range, but at a very small, non-wave capacity.
I think in AI hands they occasionally provide a very interesting challenge, but in most cases merely result in detours. If it placement was improved or replaced with an alternative when an interesting location was not available, it would make taking down defensive AIs interesting, as well as requiring alternate techniques to clear. We already have various neinzul clusters, something halfway between those and existing fortresses would be a compromise.

With regards to the upcoming release, I'm not really interested in a massive redesign of player fortresses. The current system is not broken, and has decent balance. That said, the idea of redesigning AI Fortresses to make them (a)less of a hard counter (b)more flexible, capable of supporting beyond just the denial range of their guns is something I'd be for.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 01:52:34 pm by LordSloth »

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2012, 02:36:13 pm »
I would support a new balance. The current system leads to the degenerate, "grindy" solution of sending bombers and waiting until it is dead, becaues bombers counter fortresses stupidly hard.

I won't go into too much detail here (I'll wait for the brain storming thread), but I would like to keep the "mirroring" of the human and AI variants. Right now, the only difference between AI and human forts are multipliers to certain stats. In fact, every human/AI unit split short of home command stations are like this. I wouldn't like to see the AI fortress get an immunity or new ability that AI forts don't get, and visa-versa.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2012, 02:44:30 pm »
I wouldn't like to see the human fortress get an immunity or new ability that AI forts don't get, and visa-versa.

FTFY ;)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2012, 02:59:45 pm »
FWIW, fortresses are balanced in a different way than pretty much anything in the game, in that a cap of FortIs has about 6.6 times as much health and best-case-dps as a mkI cap is supposed to have on average, has a really reasonable knowledge cost considering that, but costs scads of m+c (some directly, some through e).  A cap of Fort Is requires 3 planets worth of "free" energy, and four-and-a-half million m+c.  That's a whole lot of something else you aren't building, unless you've taken a lot of territory or spent a lot of K on econ (or both).

Caps of FortIIs and FortIIIs are somewhat less as powerful compared to other stuff of their mark, but not by a whole lot.

All that said, the general impression I've gotten over the however-long-it's-been-since-we-actually-changed-those-numbers (pretty long, for this game) is that they're in a good place.  That's a large part of why they haven't been brought down into the stratosphere with the other units.  They're sort of semi-superweapons.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2012, 03:15:10 pm »
FWIW, fortresses are balanced in a different way than pretty much anything in the game, in that a cap of FortIs has about 6.6 times as much health and best-case-dps as a mkI cap is supposed to have on average, has a really reasonable knowledge cost considering that, but costs scads of m+c (some directly, some through e).  A cap of Fort Is requires 3 planets worth of "free" energy, and four-and-a-half million m+c.  That's a whole lot of something else you aren't building, unless you've taken a lot of territory or spent a lot of K on econ (or both).

Caps of FortIIs and FortIIIs are somewhat less as powerful compared to other stuff of their mark, but not by a whole lot.

All that said, the general impression I've gotten over the however-long-it's-been-since-we-actually-changed-those-numbers (pretty long, for this game) is that they're in a good place.  That's a large part of why they haven't been brought down into the stratosphere with the other units.  They're sort of semi-superweapons.

Agreed, as they are now, the balance is fine (well, questionable on the superfortress, but other than that). However, the problem is more that the current optimal strategy (send bombers or bomber like ships and twiddle thumbs until dead) is really boring, and the optimal strategy is FAR more efficient than pretty much any other strategy, your are pretty much punished for trying anything more interesting.

The only other strategy I can think of that could feasibly compete with bomber-rushing is cutting off supply, which may be prohibitively expensive in AIP in some circumstances and map layouts.

So, IMO, the "problem" is not a balance issue, but a "fun factor" issue.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2012, 03:23:05 pm »
(send bombers or bomber like ships and twiddle thumbs until dead) is really boring
Have you tried that on a CSG planet since the special forces change?

Not that it fully addresses it since there are planets that won't happen on, but I strongly suspect you wind up needing to do more than bomber+twiddle.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Y PzKpfw Tiger!
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2012, 07:46:20 pm »
To my experience, sending in the bombers and twiddling one's thumbs is all there is to be done about fortresses.

Fortresses with anti-bomber cover are just about too annoying to bother with...I usually ignore those systems until I've cleaned up everything around them, or until I have a Golem to handle the forts. Superfortesses are even more extreme cases of "don't even bother" - if there's any sort of bomber-killer in the same system as the SF, I leave them for the superweapons.

So yeah. That ought to change.
The beatings shall continue
until morale improves!

Offline Mermel

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2012, 11:29:17 am »
When thinking about the whole thing I always come up with the thought, that Player Fortresses are actually fine as they are. Balanced out and really fire and forget, we don't want too much micro after all.

So, I think only changes to the AI variaton are needed, a defense is interesting enough. It would also allow to balance AI fortresses in a way, that would encourage a tactical approach, as the AI is not especially good with that. So it should be something that easily eats a blob sent at the fortress, but has trouble with a variety of more subtle sorts of attacks.

Multi structure fortresses are almost a must in that case, as it would allow more different armor types, attack patterns and overall combinations of attack and support sets.

Imagine a fortress with say, only long range beam death cannons, all available slots full.
You have a nightmare if you want to approach it, even with bombers.
You might want to put the bombers in transports to traverse the distance quick and close in for the kill, or maybe have cloacker starships to bring in your little bomber buddies, or you gnaw away at the fortress with drone producing Neinzul ships or whatever.

The key to making fortresses interesting in the attack is allowing different approaches, while keeping it's supreme power. Any single, stationary unit with that tremendous firepower needs a hard counter. It's been tried before in several varieties to balance it out otherwise and either it was too easy or a grind. As it is right now, it's as good as it gets.

So, my pledge:
AI Fortresses modular, as spire cities, with specialized support platforms.
In addition I would reduce the overall chance to seed them, while increasing it when something interesting is on a planet.
You found one with an ARS and two experimental or core fabricators? Chances are good you also found one of the new and shiny AI Fortresses, just waiting to be brought down in a creative manner :D