Author Topic: Can I disable AI Eyes from spawning?  (Read 2566 times)

Offline triggerman602

• Sr. Member Mark II
Can I disable AI Eyes from spawning?
« on: October 27, 2012, 04:34:22 pm »
I know the AI uses some pretty cheese tactics some times but this one takes the cake. How can I turn them off?

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Can I disable AI Eyes from spawning?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 04:46:49 pm »
Welcome back :)

There's no option for turning them off (except for playing on diff 5 or lower, but that's not really an option per se), but they've seen a lot of changes lately to make them at least more interesting (specifically, there's more variety of them, so they don't all cheese you the same way).  And in general you can either:

1) Kill all the guard posts before bringing in the full fleet.
or
2) Be able to do what you need to do without triggering the eye.

The ones on the AI homeworlds are a different story as of 6.002, they're just brutal.  But lots of stuff on the HW is brutal, you may actually prefer the eyes to the other stuff that can take their place (and sometimes do; the HWs don't always get them).

One other thing is that AI types vary in how many eyes they get.  Turtles, Teleporter Turtles, and Technologist Turtles all get a lot more than everyone else.  Shield Ninnies, Grav Drillers, and Peacemakers get slightly less than the turtles (twice the normal).

On the other end, Mad Bombers, Neinzul Youngsters, Vicious Raiders, Extreme Raiders, Technologist Raiders, Scorched Earth, Attritioners, The Tanks, and The Cores all get half the normal amount.

From there, it's scaled by difficulty, so diff 10 gets 1.66~ as many as diff 6.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline triggerman602

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 06:16:49 pm »
I'll try diff 5 with +300% for both AI and 2x waves. Strong but not cheesy I hope.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 06:50:58 pm »
The AI is substantially "dumber" on 5 than on 7, but yea, with +300% handicap it should at least put up a fight.  If you want some nasty AI types to round it out the Heroic and Fortress King ones from Ancient Shadows are pretty nasty.

And of course there's hybrids, the exo-causing minor factions, etc.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline triggerman602

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 07:04:30 pm »
I've got a special forces captain and an Everything AI with schizo. The waves are quite colourful.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 07:21:24 pm »
That'll do it, yea ;)

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 07:28:19 pm »
You can also just rush in and smash the home command station with some quick hitters to kill the eye. That tends to be fairly quick, so long as you don't mind the instant threat or the AIP of taking down a system.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 07:36:40 pm »
Actually, I believe you need to build your own Command Station to remove the Eye, which does require removing the enemy CS of course.

Also triggerman602, which Eye is causing you trouble?  Starships plus a small fleet ship selection to screen the Starships while they clean up Guard Posts works in quite a few cases.  Fighters are excellent because they are so cheap to replace.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 07:39:15 pm »
Hmm, couldn't remember if you had to build a new CS or not. I've always generally built one pretty much right away.

Offline triggerman602

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 08:25:47 pm »

Also triggerman602, which Eye is causing you trouble?  Starships plus a small fleet ship selection to screen the Starships while they clean up Guard Posts works in quite a few cases.  Fighters are excellent because they are so cheap to replace.

Ion Eye on a MKIII system. I pretty much just rolled into the system with a medium-ish force of mkI/II fleet ships to blow some stuff up and saw it. Invulnerable Rapid Fire Ion cannon.

I NOPEd out of that pretty hard.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 08:33:26 pm »
Ion Eyes are actually some of the easier ones to just ignore: just bring in everything that's immune to insta kill (which includes quite a few fleet ship types too, if you have any of them).

But yea, when it has something to shoot at... well, it doesn't have something to shoot at for long.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 10:37:33 pm »
Yeah, the thing about the Ion Eye is even if you trigger it, all that happens is you lose ships.  If you trigger a Sentry Eye, the AI gets new permanent ships.  So you can be pretty reckless against an Ion Eye because the consequences aren't nearly as high as many other Eyes.

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 11:38:13 pm »
Is it possible to have a 'disable Eyes' feature on the ships tab in the lobby? Replace all eyes with anything available that is also a brutal structure to keep things interesting, and it changes a bit of how the AI needs to be approached for players who want that. Guess the game's got pretty thick saturation of options already but there should be something other than 'yeah just play at difficulty 5 where everything else is also ultra-weak but there are no eyes'.

Offline KDR_11k

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 05:19:27 am »
"Okay, now we need suggestions for new Raid Engine types to keep things varied".

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 08:49:24 am »
I don't care much myself, I like the eyes. They make sure I actually have to think twice before taking or attacking a planet, just how it's supposed to be in my opinion. I'm really happy with all the new eyes and I would love to have different types of "engines" as well. I wouldn't say no to a "change AI eyes into some other nasty AI structure" option though.
That reminds me, I want a new red AI type that always uses 2 or more (depending on difficulty) nasty structures on most of it's planets. I'd like to see a raid engine with a grav dril for example.