Author Topic: Are we going to get preservation wardens fixed for 6.0?  (Read 2837 times)

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
Are we going to get preservation wardens fixed for 6.0?
« on: October 21, 2012, 08:18:21 pm »
You know, the helpful ones that stop by your planet for reasons that we all make up to think we deserved it during a game?  :P

This issue has been around for over a year now, would be nice to get it back.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Are we going to get preservation wardens fixed for 6.0?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 08:21:37 pm »
FYI, its roaming enclaves; the preservation wardens have always been all-AI-ally :)

And I didn't tell you about it in hopes you would enjoy it more finding it yourself, but if you win the champion scenario where you're trying to save roaming enclaves from the ravenous shadow, some friendly enclaves spawn back at your base and if you have the Roaming Enclaves minor faction on it reactivates the logic branch that allows friendly ones to spawn normally.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 08:33:16 pm »
FYI, its roaming enclaves; the preservation wardens have always been all-AI-ally :)

And I didn't tell you about it in hopes you would enjoy it more finding it yourself, but if you win the champion scenario where you're trying to save roaming enclaves from the ravenous shadow, some friendly enclaves spawn back at your base and if you have the Roaming Enclaves minor faction on it reactivates the logic branch that allows friendly ones to spawn normally.

Damn, I should have actually finished my champion game. So much shame. Thank you!
Kahuna strategy guide:

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 09:00:13 pm »
Sure :)  I'd like to bring them back in the normal game too (when you activate them via that champions approach they're not much smarter than when I disabled them), and I think some of the special-forces/threat-fleet logic I wrote recently could be adapted to it.  Just gotta find the time.

And I haven't asked because I figured you had a reason for not volunteering it before, but: what's the details on why you and the champions don't get along?  "I want an arcade mode" and "I don't want to have to do nothing while I wait on resources" are two of the more significant inspirations for champions, and are two of the things I heard a lot from you, but in the end something doesn't compute? :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Atomikkrab

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 09:40:31 pm »
I don't know if thats such a great thing, since the neinzul they spawn die next to the vengence generators in my territory and set off dark spire waves.  :-\

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 10:19:20 pm »
And I haven't asked because I figured you had a reason for not volunteering it before, but: what's the details on why you and the champions don't get along?  "I want an arcade mode" and "I don't want to have to do nothing while I wait on resources" are two of the more significant inspirations for champions, and are two of the things I heard a lot from you, but in the end something doesn't compute? :)

The arcade mode as I was thinking of it was more along the lines of the presentation. For example, right now the scoring system is fairly obtuse. It's not entirely clear what you do is worth which point values. And when you have big battles, the explosions and the fighting really doesn't hang around that long. But a lot of players on this forum have constantly remarked on how much they like the taunts (and please would you make more?). They like getting feedback from the game that they are indeed kicking all kinds of ass or, the reverse as it were. The Arcade Mode was to bring the scoring onto the battlefield, raise the visual/audio, and bring some more lasting excitement to these conflicts with the AI. For example, showing scores racking up on the battlefield with some kind of pixelated retro font. It's kind of like the old quake 3 when it would say "HUMILIATION!" Visually, it's very arcade.

As far as the champion thing, I felt compelled to micro my champion all the time, and do everything I could to level it up. It began to feel compulsive, and I felt like I had to stick around with it all the time. My grand battles (I play on high caps) started to feel like champion babysitting. I just wanted to turn it off and go back to the big battles. It didn't help that having the champion doesn't feel like an advantage later on. I feel compelled to use it. And that's where it fell off for me. All of the nebula stuff is obligatory.

Adding in the other faction, some new ships, I'm okay with that. It's not the grand battle you presented with the fallen spire. It feels like OCD behavior. But it's still worth five dollars for all the other stuff.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 10:21:56 pm by Cyborg »
Kahuna strategy guide:

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 10:34:01 pm »

Out of curiosity, what happens when you don't have the roaming enclaves minor faction and you defeat that Champion scenario?  Because I did recently, I got a white enclave ship that sat afk by my Home Command Station for about 15 minutes, including during an entire exo-wave attack (that ended up on my home planet).  Then out of the blue it just flies off without warning, and I've never seen it again...
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 12:11:18 am »
I got a white enclave ship that sat afk by my Home Command Station for about 15 minutes, including during an entire exo-wave attack (that ended up on my home planet).  Then out of the blue it just flies off without warning, and I've never seen it again...
They stopped for a lunch at your Command Station but then THIS happened.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 12:14:21 am by Kahuna »
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 12:53:18 am »
Out of curiosity, what happens when you don't have the roaming enclaves minor faction and you defeat that Champion scenario?  Because I did recently, I got a white enclave ship that sat afk by my Home Command Station for about 15 minutes, including during an entire exo-wave attack (that ended up on my home planet).  Then out of the blue it just flies off without warning, and I've never seen it again...

Without them enabled, you are limited to the ones you get form winning. They'll strike at the AI and retreat and camp you CC while they repair up. Sometimes they pick the absolute worst time to attempt a strike at the enemy. Generally, I've noticed they tend to stay within 4 or 5 hops unless you have cleared a lot of AI planets. With them enabled you can expect some to spawn in your territory and spawn in AI territory. Higher setting (10/10) and you'll see them more often. For me they are worth it just for harassment value :)

Check Please!
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 01:08:05 am »
Without them enabled, you are limited to the ones you get form winning. They'll strike at the AI and retreat and camp you CC while they repair up. Sometimes they pick the absolute worst time to attempt a strike at the enemy. Generally, I've noticed they tend to stay within 4 or 5 hops unless you have cleared a lot of AI planets. With them enabled you can expect some to spawn in your territory and spawn in AI territory. Higher setting (10/10) and you'll see them more often. For me they are worth it just for harassment value :)
So do they go off and die when they do this?  I haven't seen the poor sod. 

I know I saved more than one (probably 5 or 6), but I haven't seen any of them since.

No, I think they stopped in to play a friendly game of chess while we repaired their ship and  THIS happened.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 01:18:48 am »
So do they go off and die when they do this?  I haven't seen the poor sod. 

I know I saved more than one (probably 5 or 6), but I haven't seen any of them since.

No one said they made intelligent choices on when to attack :) While it can be hard to keep track of them, Player-ally Enclaves do show up as Ally in the intel summery (galaxy map). You just have to mouse over to find them.

Play a match with Enclaves at 10/10 and you can get a good idea of what they will do. That way you'll have a better idea of what to expect.

At 10/10, I've had as many as 8 around my front lines. Some go off and get killed, some survive. At 10/10 you can pretty much expect to have a few around to harass the AI. I don't ever put much weight on needing them to do anything.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Spikey00

• Lord of just 5 Colony Ships
  • Master Member Mark II
  • And he sayeth to sea worm, thou shalt wriggle
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 12:04:44 am »
...and I think some of the special-forces/threat-fleet logic I wrote recently could be adapted to it.  Just gotta find the time.

Beautiful.
I'd take a sea worm any time over a hundred emotionless spinning carriers.
irc.appliedirc.com / #aiwar
AI War Facebook
AI War Steam Group