Author Topic: AI War vs RPS  (Read 5868 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: AI War vs RPS
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 03:58:38 pm »
Thanks for the note!  I've added this to the news section.  Looks like they were having a good time. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline spelk

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 04:02:28 pm »
I do like a good after action report, but I think they need to take more screenshots..

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 04:03:21 pm »
Well, maybe in part 2. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline spelk

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 04:09:42 pm »
What are the anticipated pitfalls with having 3 players in a 15 planet AI level 7 conflict? It sounds like it might be a bit overcrowded in there in the long run.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 04:13:45 pm »
Not overcrowded, just short more than anything else.  I mean, they'll have the sense of not really having unlocked all that many techs because the game is over before they really have a chance to do so.  It might also make the game easier in a number of ways, because they can get to the AI strongholds so much faster, especially with three of them all at once (and the AI will never get that large). 

And it also takes a lot of the Grand Strategy aspects of the game right out, because there aren't too many difficult choices to be made in such a small map.  So it's good as a learning experience, or as a fast-and-furious way to play the game, but I wouldn't call it representative of the "real" experience.  It's certainly a valid way to play, and I think they'll continue to have a lot of fun, but it's like playing Civilization on just one continent through a few of the ages.  Very similar to how that subsets the main game experience.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 04:19:45 pm »
I think playing at 15 planets with 3 players might have been a really bad decision ;) I'd have choosen 40 (which i would consider the best) simply because the ai core planets will be very close to you, too close. And you will only get 30000 research points at most (unlikely given that theres 2 homeworlds and several core worlds) so more like 20000 research points..

That makes it nearly impossible to assault a core world imo.
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 04:22:36 pm »
It certainly does make the core world assault a lot more difficult, but on the other hand they have the element of surprise.  As long as they don't tip off the Alert Level of the home worlds too early, they have a fighting chance.  But I don't think they expect this to end in their victory, and I have to say I'm with you in that I think they have a good shot of a loss there.  I guess we'll see! :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 04:39:20 pm »
PS.
AI War is in TOP 15 of PC co-op games on Co-Optimus.
http://www.co-optimus.com/system.php?sort=rating&id=4&reverse=true

Very cool!  I had not seen that.  We get a fair bit of traffic from co-optimus, but I didn't think to look at our ranking like that. :)

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
  • More turrets! MORE TURRETS!
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 10:58:56 pm »
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 11:19:15 pm by Echo35 »

Offline AcidWeb

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 12:53:32 pm »
Some forum necromancy.
AI War is now best PC co-op game in co-optimus ranking.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 12:58:34 pm »
Yep, has been for a few weeks, as it turns out!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk