Author Topic: AI War: The Light of the Spire Expansion Now Available as Game Hits Version 5.0  (Read 98578 times)

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
And when can we get our hands on the next beta? (Yes, I am already asking for more  ::))

This week!  So I guess that means tomorrow, as we're running out of week.  There's just been a lot of transitional stuff this week (a fair bit of it involving AI War) that has taken away from our normal schedule for AI War maintenance stuff.

Unless you can somehow pull this off in the next 30 minutes to 3 hours and 30 minutes (depending on time zone, assuming continental US), YOU LIED TO ME.  :'(

Just kidding, take your time.  ;)

Offline Eagleheart

• Newbie Mark II
I am unable to start a multiplayer game with a friend on this version, but we've played on previous versions fine. We can connect initially, but when we start the game the sync freezes at 7% every time. We both tried reinstalling but it did not fix it. I assume it's an issue with this version? Is anyone else having this problem?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 06:45:28 pm by Eagleheart »
Est Sularis Oth Mithas

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
I am unable to start a multiplayer game with a friend on this version, but we've played on previous versions fine. We can connect initially, but when we start the game the sync freezes at 7% every time. We both tried reinstalling but it did not fix it. I assume it's an issue with this version? Is anyone else having this problem?
I don't recall hearing that folks were having that issue with 5.0.  Can you post (on mantis is best, but here works if necessary) the savegame the host is loading?  And any error-log text files in either computer's (AI War)/RuntimeData directory?

Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Eagleheart

• Newbie Mark II
We aren't loading a game, we are attempting to start a new one. Neither of us have any error-log texts either.  :-\
Est Sularis Oth Mithas

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
We aren't loading a game, we are attempting to start a new one. Neither of us have any error-log texts either.  :-\
Odd, definitely not heard of people hitting that lately.  What map seed and settings?  If I can reproduce the problem on my end I can probably fix it, but if I can't, I probably can't. 

A few things you've probably tried, but making sure:

- Try with different map seeds.
- Try with different settings (notably, with everything off, and with everything on).
- Try starting a new game in single player and then loading it in multiplayer (this doesn't give you quite the scenario you want, of course, just testing that it works or doesn't work).
- If either of you have alternate computers, try with those.  Particularly if they're in different networks.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
Also, it's a good idea to try it with the Network Sync Size in the network settings changed.  It might be that you need to send less data or something across your network cards on initial sync, which that will let you do.  Sometimes network card drivers or even router firmware have bugs that can cause issues with sending too much too fast.  If either of you have upgraded any network-related hardware or software lately, that could have been introduced, but AI War has a way of working around that built in.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Zeba

• Grumpy Olde Man
Just a random idea. Have you tried disabling your anti-virus/malware etc etc programs before starting a game? This has been an issue for me trying to play several online games until I added them to the ignore list.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
Um, not to be rude or pushy or anything, but what is the holdup on the current beta?
Many of the potential balance issues that are currently being discussed will be quite effected by the changes so far in 5.001.

If there is more to pushing out a beta behind the scenes than I realize, or if you are trying to get one more change that is proving to be trickier than you originally thought, that's fine. But it seems strange to me that the change log has not changed for two days even though yet Chris and especially Kieth are engaging in our discussions, so I know that they are around.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
The holdup is that we've been busting our butts on AVWW, and it seems like everybody and his brother wants to email me about the game at this point.  And AI War is in pretty good shape, so it's been a lower priority.  I've been up into the wee hours of the morning anyhow, so adding on one more thing hasn't been a priority.  It's coming soon, though.  Tomorrow is a day I plan to use catching up on a lot of various things.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
The holdup is that we've been busting our butts on AVWW, and it seems like everybody and his brother wants to email me about the game at this point.  And AI War is in pretty good shape, so it's been a lower priority.  I've been up into the wee hours of the morning anyhow, so adding on one more thing hasn't been a priority.  It's coming soon, though.  Tomorrow is a day I plan to use catching up on a lot of various things.

No problem. Thanks for the update, and for "busting your butts".  :)

And when you said "everybody and his brother wants to email me about the game at this point", did you mean AI War or AVWW?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Actually, both.  GDC is coming up and so vendors are emailing me like crazy, distributors emailing on this and that, the press emailing about various stuff... etc.  It's a good sort of busy, but man does it suck up the time that would otherwise be able to be split between AVWW and AI War.  There are days where I've worked 5 hours before I even get out of my email box, and I'm a really fast typist.

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
...and I'm a really fast typist.

By the response times you sometimes have and the rate you can push out betas, I have already figured that out. :D
Plus you're a coder, it kind of comes with the territory.

Okay, I'll shut up now so you can get back to work.  ;)

EDIT: Is this the 30000th post in this sub-forum? If so, AWESOME!  8)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 10:32:05 pm by techsy730 »

Offline Zeba

• Grumpy Olde Man
techsy must be an eve player.  ;D

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
techsy must be an eve player.  ;D

Actually, no I am not. I don't even know what stereotype of eve players you are making fun of. ???

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
Actually, both.  GDC is coming up and so vendors are emailing me like crazy, distributors emailing on this and that, the press emailing about various stuff... etc.  It's a good sort of busy, but man does it suck up the time that would otherwise be able to be split between AVWW and AI War.  There are days where I've worked 5 hours before I even get out of my email box, and I'm a really fast typist.

Sounds like you need a PR guy. Oh wait, you just got one.  ;)

Hope Erik can help you out with some of this communication stuff you have been overwhelmed with lately.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk