Author Topic: AI War state of the game  (Read 42508 times)

Offline doctorfrog

Re: AI War state of the game
« Reply #210 on: November 11, 2012, 02:36:19 pm »
I always got the idea that the lower difficulties were there as a concession to people who wanted a very easy game to puzzle out the mechanics or kind of set the stage for their own kind of game with minimal interference. At any rate, they are legitimate as they are and don't need to be changed; they are not there for the "Winning!" kind of personality.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #211 on: November 11, 2012, 02:36:36 pm »
Difficulties in AI War work like scores on IGN...
I'm not certain, but that sounds like some kind of mortal insult ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline KDR_11k

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #212 on: November 11, 2012, 02:48:08 pm »
I always got the idea that the lower difficulties were there as a concession to people who wanted a very easy game to puzzle out the mechanics or kind of set the stage for their own kind of game with minimal interference. At any rate, they are legitimate as they are and don't need to be changed; they are not there for the "Winning!" kind of personality.

The oddity is how many of them there are. I don't think anybody really knows or cares about the difference between 3 and 4. Meanwhile all the real difficulties are squeezed in the 7-9 range with decimals added to give the gradient people actually want. 7 is actually fairly easy and only severe mistakes of the kind you'd only make when you don't know the game can really mess you up.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #213 on: November 11, 2012, 02:58:04 pm »
On the issue of artificial limitations: for a game that's just totally done and not getting updated, then yea.  But in general, they should not be necessary for challenge in AIW.  If there's something so obviously overpowered that a huge part of the player population either does it (because it's optimal) or artificially refrains from doing it (because it's optimal), then we need to fix that.  I don't mean things like "build ships", "capture ARS's", or "attack the AI Homeworlds" where it's part of the definition of the game, I mean things like "unlock harvester IIIs" where it's supposed to be a take-it-or-leave-it choice.

On the other hand, there are some counterbalancing considerations that make me not lose sleep over the current state of harvester IIIs or whatever:
1) By the nature of being a frequently updated game, these kinds of imbalances come up.  Harvester upgrades used to be a total joke until they won that buff poll.  And they've been nerfed since then, for that matter.
2) Also by the nature of being a frequently updated (and played) game, we will find and fix these things.  In this case the solution isn't obvious to me but the next "step in the right direction" is becoming clearer.
3) ... There was a third point but the hybrids just ate it.

Wingflier, what kind of casualties do you take while blobbing against a heavily defended mkIV planet?  Or more generally, what's an average list of what you bring in, and an average list of what doesn't come out?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #214 on: November 11, 2012, 03:09:38 pm »
For the most part, the artifical limitations I mentioned were more 'flavor' things in an rpg. In something like skyrim, many people will absolutely refuse to use stealth/bow/dagger specs, because theyre retardedly OP at high levels of sneak, and its just not fun. The idea of only sticking to particular faction's ships or troops (in x3 or mount and blade, respectively), its the idea of wanting their character to represent something - to actually roleplay.

I could somewhat see this extending to aiwar - I've tried to write my aars in general from a roleplay point of view.. mostly because I like the idea of writing from the perspective of an actual PERSON, instead of as some unnamable overlord of stuff..

I digress slightly - What I am saying is that sure, the game could use a little bit of balancing. However, if you have such issues as you are vehemently describing in this thread, maybe the answer indeed should be looking for a game elsewhere. It honestly seems like you are looking for a competitive game (ala sc2/dota/league) than a casual one like aiwar.

And keith, I would take that comment regarding ign scores as a terrible insult. You have more difficulties between 7 and 10 than 1 and 6. Not really sure if this is honestly a bad thing though - the tiers at 7, 8 and 9, and even 10 i think mean very different things, compared to the tiers of 7, 7.3, 7.6.. etc.

And as a final point - I am going to go back to my 2.0 game, and see if I can actually manage to survive the 20 minute wave this time. I honestly encourage you to try it wingflier - I am interested in your opinion of the game mechanics as compared to the current day.
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #215 on: November 11, 2012, 03:39:10 pm »
I digress slightly - What I am saying is that sure, the game could use a little bit of balancing. However, if you have such issues as you are vehemently describing in this thread, maybe the answer indeed should be looking for a game elsewhere. It honestly seems like you are looking for a competitive game (ala sc2/dota/league) than a casual one like aiwar.
I guess my question is, can't it appeal to the whole spectrum?

I mean we definitely have players on both sides of the spectrum here.  For example, with this suggestion of removing MKII and III Harvesters.  Does that negatively affect anybody?  All it really does is scale the difficulty up, meaning players who are wasteful with their fleet have to play on lower ones or they'll be doing a lot of waiting, and possibly losing.

If people are tired of waiting around they have to find ways around that.  Econ Command Stations are a good idea.  Learning to play without your whole blob is a good idea.  Doing Champion Scenarios to keep you busy between rebuilds.  Being more careful not to waste your whole fleet.  I mean these seem like signs of a good player, not of bad game design.

This is just 1 example of many I could use that doesn't negatively affect casuals, but helps to keep the contrast of the game for the people more serious intact. 

And as a final point - I am going to go back to my 2.0 game, and see if I can actually manage to survive the 20 minute wave this time. I honestly encourage you to try it wingflier - I am interested in your opinion of the game mechanics as compared to the current day.
Give me a link and tell me how please.

----

@Keith - I'm about to assault a MKIV ARS World in my current game with my whole blob.  I'll tell you exactly what it consists of, how many enemies there are, and what comes back alive.

Then I'll probably do an ARS hack without repairing anything, and tell you what comes back from that too.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 03:42:00 pm by Wingflier »
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #216 on: November 11, 2012, 04:08:28 pm »
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #217 on: November 11, 2012, 04:20:00 pm »
Okay, about this MKIV ARS World...

It's 4 hours in, I've never been here before, and this is my 4th ARS World, yet it has 113 guys on it.  My army consists of a Human Shadow Cruiser, 4 Spire Corvettes, full fleet of MKI+II Bombers, Fighters, Frigates, Z-Shredders, Saboteurs, Mirrors, 4 Light Starships, 4 Parasite Starships, 4 Riot Control Starships, then I'd say about 40 bonus ships from the Champion Campaigns.

Now the size of my army is 536, and it is incredibly powerful, but I've only spent about 10k Knowledge on it.  The battle is already over before it begins.

I've still got over 8k knowledge left over (the only reason I'm not maxed out on resources is because I'm rebuilding a Regen Golem that I'll probably never use again), and I'm about to take this ARS planet which has a nice little Archive on it.

----

Remember this is on 9/9 against a hard and a Technologist and 5/5 Advanced Hybrids.  If I'm using the wrong settings for MKIV Planets to be a challenge let me know.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline orzelek

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #218 on: November 11, 2012, 04:35:38 pm »
My take on blobbing and it's current state:

Blobbing is by default preferred method because it makes sure you get as much fire power in same place at once - which gives you best possible outcome. Also currently on offense place you need to consider is whole planet.

Until now most of anti-blobbing efforts were in the stick department - eyes are main point in that.
What if we would go into the carrot part - my proposal would be following:
1. Make planet area larger.
2. Reduce all weapon ranges by 1/3rd or maybe more - make sure that number of very high range units is limited.
3. Make planet specialization in certain units more visible.
4. Increase reinforcements on planets so that each guard post is more of a challenge.

That 4 points would make an attempt in emphasizing players ability to fight world as battle of battles. Currently this is very rare and I can do it mostly with champion with short ranged weapons only (and because champion can take some pounding from very long range enemies). In other cases usually something will wake up rest of planet... or all guardians come, or guard posts start shooting from other side of planet. This forces the balance to nerf whole planet so that it won't instagib player if he doesn't bring all his power. This makes blobbing obvious - there is no benefit in specializing.
With more specialized and more localized battles player would be tempted (I hope) to consider what kind of offense is butter on given planet and execute it. Using proper counter would also mean that losses on player side could be smaller which would reduce the need to rebuild everything.

As an additional point we could evaluate general dps reduction to make using counter units more viable. It would give more emphasis on fact that if you counter enemy you will kill it significantly faster.

Also potential armor revamp could add to that by increasing space for viable counters to unit - by not only units with multipliers but also including rate of fare vs armor amount "countering".

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #219 on: November 11, 2012, 04:37:14 pm »
@Wingflier: I'm not expecting a mkIV planet that you haven't alerted to be a challenge that could defeat your full fleet, I'm just interested in knowing what kind of casualties you take from just blobbing it.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #220 on: November 11, 2012, 04:48:09 pm »
I lost about 220 guys.  Most of them were just regular fleet ships.  There was an MKIII Fortress there and a bunch of Gravity Guardians surrounding it, so my bombers were getting wasted.  I just sent my entire fleet and swarmed the Fortress instead.

Losses of note:  3 Parasite Starships, 2 Riot Control Starships, and about 10 of the Champion Scenario Bonus Ships.

Most of it has been rebuilt within a few minutes, and my resources have stayed at around 300,000/300,000, which is what I started with.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #221 on: November 11, 2012, 05:06:33 pm »
Ok, so 40% casualties or so when rushing a fort III with a moderately buff fleet, makes sense.

My current main thought on addressing this desire is to try out a new mechanic as an AI plot that gains strength based on human-player casualties, and tries to hit you while you're weak.  Of course, with that econ you don't spend much time weak, if any ;)

I think the champion reward ships are skewing things a bit in your case; they're not wildly imbalanced but in general the champ stuff gives a ton of power beyond what one might expect at that level of total knowledge expenditure, etc.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #222 on: November 11, 2012, 05:11:35 pm »
Okay so next game things to try:

No Champion and no MKII+III Harvesters.

Another interesting thing of note, I did an ARS Hack "Moderate" on that MKIV Planet with my remaining force, it says I lost 10 casualties. 

My current main thought on addressing this desire is to try out a new mechanic as an AI plot that gains strength based on human-player casualties, and tries to hit you while you're weak.  Of course, with that econ you don't spend much time weak, if any ;)
This would be a great addition in tandem with nerfing the player economy (or just removing MKII and III Harvesters).  That way if the player lost his entire force, he wouldn't just be sitting around, he'd be fighting for his life ;p
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 05:13:22 pm by Wingflier »

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #223 on: November 11, 2012, 07:32:02 pm »
My current main thought on addressing this desire is to try out a new mechanic as an AI plot that gains strength based on human-player casualties, and tries to hit you while you're weak.

Gimme.

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
  • If you're not drunk you're doing it wrong.
« Reply #224 on: November 11, 2012, 08:25:04 pm »
General Conversation comments:
Regarding those of you who are finding they have overwhelming amounts of energy... are any of you NOT playing with champions?  I'm curious because I'm wondering if that's where I'm confused why y'all think it's overwhelming.

If you nerf the econ guerilla attacks become unreasonable, you only blob because otherwise losses are even less recoverable.

Who used guerrilla attacks to begin with? 
Well, I do, for starters.  Particularly against worlds with Eyes, so I tend to do it a lot.

You're preaching to save a dead child.  We've all pretty much agreed that blobbing is the best strategy.  Nerfing the econ isn't going to change that either way.
Agreed.  I'm just not entirely sure where the idea that nerfing econ would remove the blob.

I agree with you that blobbing is a major issue with the game, but the way to fix it is not to LITERALLY OVERLOAD the player with so many resources he can't spend it all.
I'm afraid you've misunderstood me.  I DON'T think blobbing is an issue.  I thoroughly disagree with you on this.  I do not want to spend half the game doing unit micro.

Econ Stations are a choice, Harvesters are not a choice.  Harvesters have no downside aside from the knowledge you spend.  Econ Stations take the place of a much more defensible or practical Military/Logistics Station.  You may lose the game during a major attack because you had an Econ Station and not any of the other 3.
To get equivalent economy from harvesters you have to take less strategical viable worlds to get equivalent economy from them.  In particular, you have to aim for 3/3+ worlds.  So with econ stations I can take a fab world and get equivalent econ, no matter the resource count.  If that fab world doesn't have decent resources, I'd need a second world for equivalence.  Now, you can argue if the difference between econ and logistics is valuable enough, and I'd say no, not unless logistics are reduced in economic power.  Harvesters in early game are a coinflip.  A powerful force that took forever to build, or a light force you can easily rebuild.  I spend many a game at famine economy and I blob, and I have harvester IIIs.  Now, that may just mean I suck at this game, I don't know.  I do know that I do not have your perma-1mill econ, and that's with Harv IIIs and targetting max econ worlds.

In other words, I think the price for Econ Stations is fair.  I see no problem with a player having max resources if he's paying the penalty in his defense.  This is why your argument on this is flawed.
No, you're not seeing the difference in the argument.  You either have to target worlds that contain those resources, which may or may not be as strategically viable.  You pay in AIP or bad positioning.  Again, I do not have max-econ most of the time.

Wing's heavily advocating significant micro and this would actually defeat the purpose, not improve it.  Everything meet everything!  FIGHT!  Well, why not, they've only got fighters but who cares, nothing's really that much better.
My specific solution to this problem was not to change the multipliers, that was somebody else's.  My solution was to add a bonus ship omission file and add Super Guardians to the game:  http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=9450
Agreed, I apparently phrased that poorly.  I did not mean to imply that removing multipliers was your idea, but that removing the multipliers would be counter to your preference in the long run.

Everything else you talked about wasn't really worth addressing.
Oh, well, thanks for that then.

You may not want anything to change but that's just your personal preference.
That's an odd comment considering how many changes I *have* advocated, particularly ones that have removed cheese and made the game more difficult.  I happen to disagree with these changes, though, you're correct.  I for one do not wish to partake in intensive ship micro in AI War.  I have other games I play for that.

Maybe someone else does.  My point to the previous poster was that nerfing the economy by removing MKII and III Harvesters would make it MORE likely that you would use guerilla raids, not less likely.  Guerilla raids are efficient, they don't waste your entire army on the trip.  With a small amount of resources, you can accomplish a lot.
That's what I'm trying to explain to you, and that wasn't your point you made.  You went on a tangent about econ stations instead of anything about blob vs. guerilla.  All you said there was that blob was better... unless we're not talking about your response to me.

If the econ is low to the point that you can't rebuild, you don't raid because you don't want to lose the ships, you always arrive in force, to reduce the economic impact of the raid.  No more one-way trips for units, you always need them back.  This will discourage raiding.

Furthermore I'm advocating an energy economy cut, that would mean you couldn't even build full caps of everything without taking some extra planets. Obviously that would lead to a lot of scrapping and rebuilding so low-power mode should probably be reintroduced (or some sort of cold storage building)

Fired up a brand new game, 9.6/9.6.  Starting energy (due to homeworld builds) was 183,500.

I then MK II'd all the fleet ships (IREs were the random thing I clicked on).
96 MK I Fighters: 50 E each 4,800 E
96 MK II Fighters: 100 E each 9,600 E
96 MK I Bomber: 100 E each, 9,600 E
96 MK II Bomber: 200 E each, 19,200 E
96 MK I Frigate: 200 E each, 19,200 E
96 MK II Frigate: 400 E each, 38,400 E
96 MK I IRE: 100 E Each, 9,600 E
96 MK II IRE: 200 E Each, 19,200 E.

Total: 129, 600 E, after blowing all your Econ on MK IIs.  Your MK Is are 1/3 of that, at 43,200 E.

Where you get into problems is turretry, starships, and defenses (like FFs).  You cannot build your entire arsenal right now without taking more planets, however trying to balance it against the fleet alone is, in my opinion, a poor choice.  A single FF costs as much energy as an entire cap of MK I Fighters... so does a single Raid SS.  A cluster of 3 MK I raid SSs is nearly the energy cost of the Frigate cap.

So, already, you can't build everything without power from multiple planets, and that's without mark boosting, but the fleet itself isn't going to be where you take the hit.  Now, it'll probably take about an hour to actually build that MK II fleet in the early game without harvester boosts (and no econ planet captures), and some of that will be variable depending on if the howeworld is crystal or metal heavy.  How low do you bring 'startup' power to make sure that you couldn't build off your entire MK I fleet?  You wouldn't be able to build much of any of the other things, then, either.  Fleet ships require the lightest energy requirement of everything you have.

It seems like the current problem with AI War is not primarily with the game, but the players.  They want to play on the highest difficulties so they can feel good about themselves, but then they complain that the highest difficulties are too hard because "they have too long for my wasted fleet to rebuild" or "I need enough energy to have a Fortress on every planet without spending a dime" or "I should be able to blob my entire fleet around without a hitch".  If you want to do those things, fine!  Play on difficulty 5.  If you're doing them on difficulty 9, and it isn't working out, the game shouldn't have to be changed for you.
That's an incredibly falicious view to state as the generic actions of the highest level players.  Faulty, Kahuna, and myself (as a quick example) have all been continuously advocating ways to improve the difficulty of the AI, *particularly* at the highest end of the spectrum.  The majority of those fixes are only in play at the 9+ level, so newbs don't get run over with them.  Keep your words out of our mouths and sure as hell don't fire off false impressions of us.  As to my personal comments about Eyes (which are the dev's gift to anti-blobbing) my usual complaints are how long it takes to kill a spireshield under one or the volume of them, not their existance, because it forces reliance on low-cap ships.

I do happen to disagree with most of the methods you're advocating, because I don't see them putting in a difficulty level like you describe.  If anything, you'll be railroaded into even less options and paths to complete the game at high difficulties, not more.

The reason that difficulties EXIST is so that people don't have to put artificial restrictions on themselves.
I agree.  What I want to know is why are you using 9/9 as your current baseline?  Crank it up.
... and then we'll have cake.