Author Topic: AI War Review on i-luv-games.com  (Read 35648 times)

Offline cupogoodness

• Arcen Games business development/Jack of all trades
  • Arcen Staff
AI War Review on i-luv-games.com
« on: March 22, 2011, 07:00:09 am »
http://arcengames.blogspot.com/2011/03/ai-war-review-on-i-luv-gamescom.html

AI War 5.0 has received a glowing review from John over on i-luv-games.com. Here's some of our favorite words:

"I love that AI War is so different from every other Real-Time strategy out these days...No other strategy game that I’ve played treats the player to battles of such epic proportions...AI War: Fleet Command is a game that combines equal portions of quality and quantity.  Not only is it a great game, but it’s a great big game.  The battles, micromanagement, exploration, and discovery, will keep strategy gamers coming back."

Read the full review here.- Erik

Offline Ozymandiaz

• Hero Member Mark II
  • King of kings
Re: AI War Review on i-luv-games.com
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 07:44:28 am »
nifty :)
We are the architects of our own existence

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 05:34:54 pm »
couldn't agree more. I've played many many games, but AI war is defenitely in my top 5 of all time (the 2 Golden Sun games for the GBA is my number 1, but I doubt many of you have played them :P)

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 05:37:46 pm »
I also like how he also captured the idea that you need to be careful. He realized that if you build a giant force and start rolling over everything you see, then the AI will do the same with you, only with forces much bigger than yours, and you will lose. It is about getting power but still managing to keep the AI from freaking out and doing everything they can to crush you. A careful balancing act.

What was the other reviewer that manged to get that central design goal? Wasn't it Rock, Paper, Shotgun?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 06:35:42 pm by techsy730 »

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 06:37:45 pm »
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 04:29:54 am by zoutzakje »

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
  • More turrets! MORE TURRETS!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 11:50:15 pm »
(the 2 Golden Sun games for the GBA is my number 1, but I doubt many of you have played them :P)

Oh please, if you want to bring up games nobody else has played, at least TRY :P

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 04:29:12 am »
(the 2 Golden Sun games for the GBA is my number 1, but I doubt many of you have played them :P)

Oh please, if you want to bring up games nobody else has played, at least TRY :P

hahaha, I had hoped I'd get a response like that :P
but seriously, other than my real life mates I've almost never heard of any1 else who knows of / plays those games

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 09:00:01 am »
but seriously, other than my real life mates I've almost never heard of any1 else who knows of / plays those games

My real life friends play almost nothing I play.  Since high school, that's been a problem for me, and even before that a lot of the PC/Atari stuff I played no one else I've ever met had heard of.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 09:58:03 am »
I guess I'm lucky I have such a wide interest in games then. My mates and I play so many different games that there is always something we can enjoy together. And even if we don't play the same game, we can still game together and just talk about it. That's fun too

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 06:01:47 pm »
My real life friends play almost nothing I play.  Since high school, that's been a problem for me, and even before that a lot of the PC/Atari stuff I played no one else I've ever met had heard of.

I keep trying to get my friends into AI War. Even those that claim to be fans of RTS or 4X style games just don't seem to be willing to make the leap away from flashy quick-fix FPS deathmatch-a-thons. Not that I don't enjoy those sometimes as well. (My go-to plan when coming home after a night out drinking with friends is mindless FPS games. Drunken Pyro is the best Pyro)

And what PC/Atari games were you playing that no one had heard of? I cut my gaming teeth on the old Infocom text adventures. If I told you that you were standing in front of an old white house with a boarded front door, would you look at me funny? (Or would you open the mailbox?)  ;)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 06:04:43 pm »
:)

In terms of the Atari games I used to play, it's really just dozens and dozens, not all of which I even remember the names to.  Nobody seems to have played any of them that I ever met in person.  Some of my favorites were certainly games like Shamus, and O'Reilly's Mine, and so on.  Others like Picnic and Frogger and such were more arcade-y, but I really liked them.  I also had a number of kids games, like Big Bird's Funhouse, and "the Seahorse" game that I really enjoyed when I was under five. :P
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 06:41:06 pm »
Probably giving away my age, but some of the other early games I remember playing came on cassettes. Anyone who complains about load times these days has no idea what it's like to be a child waiting for Mr. Robot and His Robot Factory to load from a cassette. Seemed like hours at the time...

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 06:41:42 pm »
:)

Offline Red Spot

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 02:50:25 pm »
[snip]

It still puts a smile on my face when I think about the early games I played as a young child, bashing 2 keys on a keyboard (as thick a phonebook) as fast as you could. The only sound I had was that of the keyboard, but you could hear it good enough :D
Almost have a hard time understanding I actually seemed to have enjoyed playing games like that :)

Offline Bugsydor

• I am not mad. I am an Angry Scientist! ANGRY!
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 08:59:33 pm »
Dang. The earliest game I can remember playing was Cosmic Osmo, and that was on a CD. You guys have me beat by a couple of generations of storage media.  :D
Mumblez: "[Regarding Demospam:] There is no 'spam'. There is only 'Target-lacking tactically utilized area denial carpetbombing'."

"Sir, the lampshade you requested?
"Just Hang it anywhere."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk