Author Topic: AI War Official 8.017-8.019 "Boost THIS!" Released!  (Read 12327 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
AI War Official 8.017-8.019 "Boost THIS!" Released!
« on: October 08, 2014, 05:02:06 pm »
Original: http://arcengames.com/ai-war-official-8-017-boost-this-released/

This one is another performance update, this time on the CPU and RAM sides.  The munitions boosters were the big culprit here, but there are other more minor effects beyond that.

UPDATE: 8.018 turned out to be necessary, because the prior version was giving the "spinning beachball of death" on OSX.  Apologies for that -- we almost never run into platform-specific bugs of that sort, but the new version of garbage collector stretching code turns out to only work (or be needed) on windows.  So the OSX and linux builds now use the "tame" version of that logic, which works great for them, and the windows build still uses the new aggressive logic that it requires.

UPDATE: 8.019 makes some more changes to prevent an out of memory exception that two people (one of them being myself) were able to get on windows machines.

Enjoy!

This is a standard update that you can download through the in-game updater itself, if you already have 4.000 or later. When you launch the game, you'll see the notice of the update having been found if you're connected to the Internet at the time. If you don't have 4.000 or later, you can download that here.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 09:04:44 am by x4000 »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline doctorfrog

Re: AI War Official 8.017 "Boost THIS!" Released!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 05:19:52 pm »
For whatever reason, the issue where the graphics load dog-slow on my machine has resolved (again) with this update. I'll let you know when it breaks again. ;D

Offline Bud Backer

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 06:21:13 pm »
Oh boy.

Game is totally unplayable now. Will not load. I get the spinning beach ball in the loading screen. "GameInit 4"

I've redownloaded it fully from Steam after uninstalling it and deleting the remains that get left behind after uninstallation.

Help!!

Pertinent info:

OSX 10.9.5
2.7 GHz I7 Quad Core
NVidia GT650M 1 GB VRAM
16 GM Ram
MacBookPro Retina

oh, and 1 shot glass of blended scotch. :P
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 07:21:07 pm by Bud Backer »

Offline Sounds

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 06:25:51 pm »
Oh boy.

Game is totally unplayable now. Will not load. I get the spinning beach ball in the loading screen.

I've redownloaded it fully from Steam after uninstalling it and deleting the remains that get left behind after uninstallation.

Help!!

I was about to write up the same thing, but you beat me to it. :)

So yeah the game now crashes when I try to select the settings icon. Any ideas?

Offline Tokyodan

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 07:24:06 pm »
On my 27" 2009 iMac running Mavericks the game will load and display the mani menu but clicking on anything in the main menu gives me the spinning beachball of death.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 07:43:13 pm »
Hey guys, this appears to be an OSX-specific thing.  I can duplicate it on my Mac (Mavericks), too.  Working on a fix now...
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Re: AI War Official 8.017-8.018 "Boost THIS!" Released!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 08:04:58 pm »
UPDATE: 8.018 turned out to be necessary, because the prior version was giving the "spinning beachball of death" on OSX.  Apologies for that -- we almost never run into platform-specific bugs of that sort, but the new version of garbage collector stretching code turns out to only work (or be needed) on windows.  So the OSX and linux builds now use the "tame" version of that logic, which works great for them, and the windows build still uses the new aggressive logic that it requires.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 08:05:49 pm »
For whatever reason, the issue where the graphics load dog-slow on my machine has resolved (again) with this update. I'll let you know when it breaks again. ;D

Hahaha -- hopefully it stays around, we'll see.  I am wondering if perhaps the Application.targetFramerate usage is what was causing the issue before.  It's possible!

Offline Bud Backer

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 09:59:05 pm »
Wow that was fast! Thanks, Chris, much appreciated. I was able to get in the game, and start a campaign, and no flicker either. So totally awesome, thank you!

Ps: couple times today I was unable to access the web site. I had an error that was not error 404 but something unusual, saying the server was there but the site was not. FYI, as its not just the forum but all Arcengames,com that was inaccessible.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 10:06:27 pm »
My pleasure!  Glad that worked well for you. :)

For the website, that's rackspace having some sort of temporary load issue, and cloudflare giving you the message.  I'm not sure what the issue is exactly, but rackspace tends to sort those out pretty quickly.  Thanks for the note, though!

Offline Sounds

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 01:47:49 am »
Yep it works for me too. Thanks again for the quick turn around. I'm looking forward to the weekend for a late nighter of AI War.

I'm hopeless at this game, but I always have a blast with this one. Fingers crossed I finally get a win in. :P
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 01:50:30 am by Sounds »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 08:37:25 am »
Good luck! :)

Offline tadrinth

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 08:54:13 am »
For the website, that's rackspace having some sort of temporary load issue, and cloudflare giving you the message.  I'm not sure what the issue is exactly, but rackspace tends to sort those out pretty quickly.  Thanks for the note, though!

I've seen it happen pretty reliably after adding screenshots to a forum post, if that helps. 

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 09:01:49 am »
It might be some sort of caching thing on wordpress, then, I'm not sure.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Re: AI War Official 8.017-8.019 "Boost THIS!" Released!
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 09:04:53 am »
UPDATE: 8.019 makes some more changes to prevent an out of memory exception that two people (one of them being myself) were able to get on windows machines.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk