Author Topic: AI War is #4 (edit: now #2) in popularity today on Impulse!  (Read 6400 times)

Offline tals

• Jr. Member Mark III
Re: AI War is #4 (edit: now #2) in popularity today on Impulse!
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2009, 02:02:29 am »
I realy hope that they will allow Ai War on Steam. Because this would likely tripple your sales.

That was my thought, too.  They have said they are interested in seeing the 2.0 version, so I guess we'll see what happens in a month or two when that is ready.  Fingers crossed!

I'd be surprised if they weren't now more interested considering from the sales that the game is not doing badly. Having it appear as number 2 in stardocks lists and the sales you are indicating I would imagine would make the game more interesting to Steam publishers.

I'm assuming you're pushing the game in the standard areas such as the reviewers, particularly the magazines - game hasn't hit metacritics yet, not quite sure how it does that

Tals

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2009, 02:38:13 am »
I'd be surprised if they weren't now more interested considering from the sales that the game is not doing badly. Having it appear as number 2 in stardocks lists and the sales you are indicating I would imagine would make the game more interesting to Steam publishers.

You know, we'd been #7 on Impulse before, and we'd just been called "Potentially The Next Big Thing In RTSes" in a review on Crispy Gamer, but none of that really swayed them.  They were pleasant, and interested in seeing the 2.0 version, but I was surprised that none of the rest of that seemed to matter to them.

I'm assuming you're pushing the game in the standard areas such as the reviewers, particularly the magazines - game hasn't hit metacritics yet, not quite sure how it does that

Yeah, there are a few reviews still outstanding at the moment.  I need to send another batch of review requests out once a few more releases are out, but so far that has been going fairly well apace.  Only submitted to a few magazines since they are harder to submit to, so that is another area I will need to work more on -- mostly I've had metacritic-supported websites as the focus, though metacritic has not picked up any of those reviews as yet, interestingly.  I don't know how it does that, either.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Admiral

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2009, 01:58:58 pm »
But, in the end, for a developer it's like Walmart versus Target.

I still think you should sell it at every reasonable outlet. I just won't buy anything from Steam.

I'm comfortable with this dichotomy. I sell services at my firm which I personally would probably never use, using a model that I wouldn't allow my own company to use.

(I have a small "SaaS" business as they're called these days, but I would never allow my company to use any "SaaS" as I don't trust vendors to protect my data and interests.)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2009, 02:02:09 pm »
But, in the end, for a developer it's like Walmart versus Target.

I still think you should sell it at every reasonable outlet. I just won't buy anything from Steam.

Makes sense to me.

I'm comfortable with this dichotomy. I sell services at my firm which I personally would probably never use, using a model that I wouldn't allow my own company to use.

(I have a small "SaaS" business as they're called these days, but I would never allow my company to use any "SaaS" as I don't trust vendors to protect my data and interests.)

And this is funny... I have a similar situation with my own day job.  In my case we also sell SaaS, but I don't use any of them because I don't trust most vendors.  The people that use us do so because they trust me and the others there, and have had positive word of mouth from other clients of ours who are also business partners of theirs.  I think that trust factor is hugely important in SaaS, and too many of the SaaS companies are just faceless entities that don't seem trustworthy enough to me.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Huw

• Jr. Member Mark III
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2009, 07:04:40 pm »

Agreed.  We may be a minority, but there are a lot of us who refuse to install Steam on our PCs.  Whenever I encounter a game that I'd like to buy but is only available on Steam, I always email the developer to let them know why they lost a sale...
I play evenings UK timezone

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2009, 10:23:04 am »
Well, this is pretty cool.  It's now three or four days later after the sale, and AI War is still sitting pretty in the #2 slot at Impulse.  Hopefully this GamersGate sale will be as successful!

Offline Admiral

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2009, 02:09:01 pm »
I wish it were #1...

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
  • More turrets! MORE TURRETS!
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2009, 02:09:54 pm »
I wish it were #1...

Well, considering the fact that the only game we aren't beating was a professionally marketed and developed game, I'd say we're number one!

Offline Fiskbit

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Master Member Mark III
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2009, 02:19:12 pm »
I'd say the marketing aspect is a big deal. RTS fans know what Sins of a Solar Empire is. Unfortunately, it's not generally the same with AI War (yet!).
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.  Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2009, 02:30:00 pm »
I'd say the marketing aspect is a big deal. RTS fans know what Sins of a Solar Empire is. Unfortunately, it's not generally the same with AI War (yet!).

Yeah.  So I'm feeling pretty good about being one higher than Demigod at the moment, haha. :)

Offline Admiral

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2009, 02:32:26 pm »
I bought Demigod about a month ago when I had $15 of Best Buy coupons that were about to expire. I haven't even taken off the plastic wrap.

(I do hope I can just enter a code into my Impulse account and have it "show up" there, should I ever get around to playing it.)

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
  • More turrets! MORE TURRETS!
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2009, 02:33:09 pm »
I bought Demigod about a month ago when I had $15 of Best Buy coupons that were about to expire. I haven't even taken off the plastic wrap.

(I do hope I can just enter a code into my Impulse account and have it "show up" there, should I ever get around to playing it.)

I'm quite sure you can actually.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2009, 03:16:43 pm »

I'm quite sure you can actually.

Yep. :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2009, 10:44:16 am »
Well, now we've dropped to #3 and Demigod is ahead of us again.  There are worse places to be after a week of the #2 slot.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk