Author Topic: AI War Beta 7.048-7.061 "Because It Was Going Too Smoothly" Released!  (Read 16654 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: AI War Beta 7.048-7.061 "Because It Was Going Too Smoothly" Released!
« Reply #150 on: August 12, 2014, 02:05:34 pm »

Oh, and if I may... a suggestion: since now we can put turrets on every single world I really, really feel a need for more remains rebuilders. Would be nice if that ship cap were raised a bit.

On a related note I would like to be able to place an entire cap of turrets with one click instead of 10 at a time.
I believe Ctrl+Alt+Click places 50 at once, but I may be misremembering.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Volatar

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Patient as a rock
« Reply #151 on: August 12, 2014, 08:54:17 pm »
Oh, and if I may... a suggestion: since now we can put turrets on every single world I really, really feel a need for more remains rebuilders. Would be nice if that ship cap were raised a bit.
We'll get back to that sort of thing once the engine-shift bugs are dealt with, and after the official :)

Currently just putting 2 per planet seems to still rebuild things reasonably fast, though your usage may vary widely from mine.

I still play with a limited number of chokepoints, though with the turret changes that has gone from 1 to 3 in my current game, but still, with Fallen Spire more than 2 are needed to keep the turrets rebuilding while those waves pour in. The main defensive line has 20 and they are constantly working and dying and being rebuilt and don't keep up.

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #152 on: August 14, 2014, 08:57:24 pm »
I noticed that the Achievements were now showing up in Steam, so I took a look, and noticed the descriptions seem to have an issue.  Notably, there are two "Destroy an AI Homeworld with a Nomad" descriptions, one of which should be the "Kill a Mime at any level" achievement.  The rest of the Mime descriptions all shifted down 1, overwriting some of the "kill a Vanguard" achievements.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #153 on: August 14, 2014, 09:44:58 pm »
I noticed that the Achievements were now showing up in Steam, so I took a look, and noticed the descriptions seem to have an issue.  Notably, there are two "Destroy an AI Homeworld with a Nomad" descriptions, one of which should be the "Kill a Mime at any level" achievement.  The rest of the Mime descriptions all shifted down 1, overwriting some of the "kill a Vanguard" achievements.
Good eye.

Sorry about that, entering achievements in steam is mind-numbing, and I do it via copy-paste.  A bit too much copy-paste, it seems ;)

Anyway, I just published the fixes to that on the steam side.  Let me know if it cleared up :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #154 on: August 14, 2014, 11:18:05 pm »
May I suggest Workspace Macro?

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #155 on: August 15, 2014, 08:56:12 am »
Hmm, that just might work.  Thanks :)

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #156 on: August 15, 2014, 09:00:47 am »

No guarantee that it'll actually save time, sometime a task is just picky enough about a window position that it'll break the loop.*

But at least you can sit back and monitor that it's doing things correctly rather than having to do them yourself.

*One that runs every day at work will occasionally fail...because it involves Remote Desktop.  If it can't log in, it breaks.  If the remote machine doesn't keep up, a password can get entered wrong...etc. etc.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #157 on: August 15, 2014, 09:05:15 am »
Thanks for the caveats, I'll bear that in mind.  Though with alt-tab and tab and such (no mouse movement or clicking necessary, if I set it up right) I'm guessing it will work fine.

Even if it doesn't save time, fabricating something to do it for me is far less mindnumbing than doing it myself ;)

Bored engineers are dangerous.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2014, 09:07:52 am »

No guarantee that it'll actually save time, sometime a task is just picky enough about a window position that it'll break the loop.*

But at least you can sit back and monitor that it's doing things correctly rather than having to do them yourself.

*One that runs every day at work will occasionally fail...because it involves Remote Desktop.  If it can't log in, it breaks.  If the remote machine doesn't keep up, a password can get entered wrong...etc. etc.

Just yesterday I was trying to use something like this to try to automate some stuff with Audacity that can't be done via chains.  It was... maddening, trying to get that to work.  I forget which one I was using, now, but it wasn't the one you have there.  I have some chains set up in audacity now that save me about 7 steps out of 20 on a processing task that I'm going to be repeatedly using.  That's better, but still time consuming and error prone.  Why can't everything be as macro-able as Photoshop!?!?!  Even Adobe Audition isn't.

Ah, well.  Maybe the one you have there will work out better for me, I'll probably give it a shot, thanks. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #159 on: August 15, 2014, 10:30:08 am »
Thanks for the caveats, I'll bear that in mind.  Though with alt-tab and tab and such (no mouse movement or clicking necessary, if I set it up right) I'm guessing it will work fine.

Even if it doesn't save time, fabricating something to do it for me is far less mindnumbing than doing it myself ;)

Bored engineers are dangerous.

Oh its definitely less mind numbing.

It's generally pretty good, the main issue to watch out for is that anything that requires the mouse itself to be offset with each repetition won't work.

The second thing to look out for is to always leave the working space in the same state you started with (things like focused fields, open programs, etc) so that the next loop is ready to go.  The values can change, of course.  So one thing I've done is used a calculator to supply values, like I need to have something say 10,20,30,40,50...counting up each loop.  I prime the calculator with 0+10, then start my first loop by hitting "enter, ctrl-C" and now the value I need for each loop is stored in the clipboard, as subsequent "enters" on the calculator will take the current value and add 10.

Use the mouse as little as possible.  The macro is pretty smart about it (and can move windows to their recorded location and do mouseclicks at offsets relative to the window) but mouse actions tend to be the thing that breaks most often, as there's very little error detection.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #160 on: August 30, 2014, 03:04:08 pm »
Workspace Macro did help a ton with the 60ish new achievements for Bionic 1.1 just now.  Only glitched on me once, and I think that was my fault.

Of course, the achievements interface itself fought valiantly against my attempts to make it a sane process.  I don't use alcohol as a coping mechanism but I was seriously considering reaching for the brandy after it lost half the images again.

But it's done now, and I think I'm better equipped for next time :)

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #161 on: August 30, 2014, 07:21:55 pm »
Woo!

Yeah, the first serious use tends to have some complications.  I think I have a hot-key'd macro I use frequently that I set up instead of a longer one, cause it had problems dealing with opening and closing Firefox tabs (occasionally the browser or Windows would decide it needed to take a second and process something and the macro would keep going, but its actions would never get processed).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk