Author Topic: AI War Beta 6.017-6.018 "Defending The AI's Front Lawn" Released!  (Read 4043 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
(Crossposted from this blog post)

This one makes the AI a little more enthusiastic about its job of, well, not dying.

Previously people have really been encouraged (on high difficulty, at least) to keep AIP absolutely minimally low during the entire game.  And it's fine (and encouraged) that you keep it low most of the game, but the AI homeworlds were not causing the kind of effective AIP increase that one might expect when you make a serious bid to, you know, kill the AI.  Sure, actually killing an AI Home Command Station used to give a whopping +100 AIP, but most high-difficulty games seem to end with both of those being killed at basically the same time, after the player has been fighting on the AI homeworlds and killing core guard posts for quite a while.  Seems like maybe the AI should object a bit more while you stand on its front lawn(s) lining up a double headshot, don't you think?

That said, we didn't want to totally take away the ability to play that way, as there are plenty of other ways players can (and do) make the game harder to compensate.

So we've added a new "Lazy AI" toggle to the AI Modifiers list in the lobby.  If this toggle is on, then the new behaviors don't happen.  If the new toggle is off by default.  And when it is off, the following new rules apply:

1) The strategic reserve (which primarily exists to defend the AI homeworlds) has a static strength equal to what it used to be at 200 AIP.  So attacking with less AIP than that won't save you any strategic-reserve-releated grief.

2) Killing a core guard post (one of the guard posts actually on an AI HW) increases the AIP floor by 10.  There are 8 posts on each AI HW so your absolute minimal AIP floor when the last one goes down is 170 (due to the starting 10), and in reality you'll have more than that due to normal floor increases.  So there won't be much point in starting a homeworld assault with AIP much lower than that.

The combined effect is that you'll generally need more power than you used to to actually punch out an AI HW (due to the strategic reserve), and if you've been playing low AIP through the midgame you'll have "may as well use it" AIP room due to the core-post floor increases.  Also, the AI's response will actually ramp up during the homeworld assault phase, instead of staying mostly constant.

So get off the AI's lawn.

Or just turn on the Lazy toggle and it will stop waving the shotgun around as much.

Oh, we also fixed some bugs in this release; mostly from the nominations for our first "bug poll".  A poll, incidentally, that I'm not sure I'm going to post because I'm not sure the voting options will make sense to folks, but we'll see.

Update: 6.018 hotfix to fix a bug preventing sending champions into unexplored nebulae.

Enjoy!

This is a standard update that you can download through the  in-game updater itself, if you already have 4.000 or later. When you launch the game, you'll see the notice of the update having been found if you're connected to the Internet at the time.  If you don't have 4.000 or later, you can download that here.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:12:47 pm by keith.lamothe »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
Re: AI War Beta 6.017 "Defending The AI's Front Lawn" Released!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 01:25:05 pm »
Just reposting my remark earlier.

For the next version's title name, "Defending The AI's Front Lawn", I can't help but laugh at that.
I am picturing an old robot sitting on a somewhat rundown front porch on a rocking chair with a shotgun yelling "You darn humans get off ma' front lawn".

Of course, though, that shotgun probably shoots like 50 ultra high strength lasers, and he has a couple hundred Mk. V attack ships behind a fence in his backyard...

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 01:25:26 pm »
Hooray!

Gonna try out this new option when I get home tonight. Thanks. :)

Offline Radiant Phoenix

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 02:00:07 pm »
Do old saves default to lazy AI on?

Offline onyhow

• Nuclear powah!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 02:04:57 pm »
So the AI are Clint Eastwood now?

Though I got to wonder just how low can someone's AIP get to actually beat the game before this...

Offline Diazo

• Master Member Mark II
  • I love/hate Diff 10
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 02:59:00 pm »
So the AI are Clint Eastwood now?

Though I got to wonder just how low can someone's AIP get to actually beat the game before this...

Before the addition of the strategic reserve, so a few patches ago, I could planet hop and be picking away at the AI's homeworlds at an AIP of 15 or 20.

That's 2, or sometimes 3 if the map layout is bad, planets captured so I can attack the AI's HWs without triggering Deep Strike. Nuke the Data Centers along the way keeps me on the floor which is crazy low with only 2 planets captured.

There's a reason I leave CSGs on in my games....

D.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 03:14:35 pm »
There's a reason I leave CSGs on in my games....
Don't you often play on 10/10?
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 05:47:25 pm »
Games started in 6.016 (with subsequent update) will have the new behaviours by default, right?
If warheads can't solve it, use more warheads.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 06:33:14 pm »
Games started in 6.016 (with subsequent update) will have the new behaviours by default, right?
Correct.  Lawn Defense Force will be active.  Though the strategic reserve will take a little while to "fill" if AIP was way below 200.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 07:46:19 pm »
@ Keith: any news on the CA post behavior I bugged you about before?
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 08:03:37 pm »
Oops, forgot to take a look before this release, will put it on my list for the next one.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 08:06:16 pm »
Oops, forgot to take a look before this release, will put it on my list for the next one.
Right on.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Vyndicu

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 09:07:27 pm »
Shameless bump.  8) Did you forget keith?

http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,12746.msg140059.html#msg140059
That one wasn't very high on my radar because it's nothing recent (compared to counterattack posts where I did significant changes recently), but I put it on my list just now, yea.  I need to do something with the bug poll nominations because with a lot of these it's a matter of finding out which ones are more pressing.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
Re: AI War Beta 6.017-6.018 "Defending The AI's Front Lawn" Released!
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 11:13:00 pm »
Update: 6.018 hotfix to fix a bug preventing sending champions into unexplored nebulae.